Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #1
Boupo
Human being with feelings

Default First track - inspired by coronavirus pandemic

UPDATE:

I note that there are still visitors from this post to the original link below. Thank you!

Please note that a better mix of the track is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPSincZE4Ps

Thanks!

-------------
ORIGINAL POST:
-------------

This is my first public track using Reaper with a Roland Fantom 8 - instrumental, no vocals. The theme was triggered by the coronavirus pandemic that is dominating the news, and developed it in a weekend.

I started using Reaper and the Fantom in mid-January this year. Am still scratching the surface and have lots to learn, especially about converting MIDI to audio and getting good quality sound.

Comments, suggestions and impressions much welcomed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3te55vz4k

Last edited by Boupo; 03-27-2020 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Updated link
Boupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
Fergler

Something is clipping, I think maybe just the whole master track.

I can't identify what the sound on the right side with the same rhythm as the snare on the left (which is very quiet) is supposed to be. Sounds like another snare with the wires off, but it changes pitches. It sounds very machine gunny.

Lots of mud build up over all. Carve some 300 area out of some instruments so when the basses come in they can be louder.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:33 PM   #3
Boupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Something is clipping...
Many, many thanks for the interest and comment, Fergler.

I'm quite new to all this - started from nothing just a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I am not yet familiar with the lingo. I have been having challenges with getting the sound right. When I play back MIDI, it sounds good. But when I convert to audio, everything changes - lots of distortion and the individual sounds are no longer clear. I have tried to adjust by using ReaEQ, and managed to improve the overall sound a bit. But far from satisfactory.

I do not understand your suggestion "Carve some 300 area out of some instruments so when the basses come in they can be louder". I do want to make them louder, but when I do that, it becomes just noise.

Any further explanation that you could give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Dream Of Sleeping

I like it. Very creepy. Some nice motifs in there. Made me think an alien invasion!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
Boupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
I like it. Very creepy. Some nice motifs in there. Made me think an alien invasion!
Dream of Sleeping: thank you for your good comment - much appreciated. Only wish I could come up with a better recording!

I checked out your channel - really good! Especially like 'Severed Ties', and great voice!
Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #6
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boupo View Post
This is my first public track using Reaper with a Roland Fantom 8 - instrumental, no vocals. The theme was triggered by the coronavirus pandemic that is dominating the news, and developed it in a weekend.

I started using Reaper and the Fantom in mid-January this year. Am still scratching the surface and have lots to learn, especially about converting MIDI to audio and getting good quality sound.

Comments, suggestions and impressions much welcomed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3te55vz4k
Sorry I don't feel the "pandemic" in your song. What I get is a song with a click bait title song. Sorry
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
Boupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Sorry I don't feel the "pandemic" in your song. What I get is a song with a click bait title song. Sorry
RDBOIS, thanks for commenting. I get that not everyone gets inspired the same way. But 'click bait'? Really? I think not.

For your benefit, I worked hard and produced an improved mix, with better overall sound quality. Still far from perfect, but hopefully the sound gets through better this time.

I also changed the title to "Pandemic Pandemonium", which I think better captures its overall essence.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPSincZE4Ps

Last edited by Boupo; 03-21-2020 at 08:37 AM.