Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
stobyjoe
Human being with feelings

Default Duplicating a MIDI track with a different instrument

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but I kind of stumbled onto this. There may be a better way to do it, but this works for me. I wanted to duplicate a string line with an upper register piano line. Simply right click on the track you wish to duplicate, then click duplicate track on the drop down menu. The new track will appear just below the original. Click on the FX button of the new track,when the instrument window for that track appears click on ADD at the bottom left.When the ADD Effects window appears, click on add then click instruments in the directory to the left then select the instrument you wish to add. Then click on the original and click remove to remove it. You now have two instruments on separate tracks playing the same line. Another cool thing you can do with this is DON'T remove the original instrument and stack two sounds to create a unique sound of your own. Example. I stacked a Dexed Pharoah patch, a Tal Noise Maker Lighning Storm and a Keyzone Piano to create a MONSTER synth bass patch. Hope this helps and isn't something you all already know...

Last edited by stobyjoe; 03-26-2020 at 07:50 AM.
stobyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #2
solger

Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

Quote:
... Click on the FX button of the new track,when the instrument window for that track appears click on ADD at the bottom left. When the ADD Effects window appears, click on add then click instruments in on the directory to the left then select the instrument you wish to add. Then click on the original and click remove to remove it...
If you want to save a few mouse clicks: it's also possible to replace a selected FX directly in the FX chain via Right click > Replace FX or the FX > Replace FX menu

Last edited by solger; 03-26-2020 at 07:39 AM. Reason: typo
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
stobyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

If you want to save a few mouse clicks: it's also possible to replace a selected FX directly in the FX chain via Right click > Replace FX or the FX > Replace FX menu
Thanks. Any time saver is definitely a helpful tip.
stobyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote