Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
wilson schulbus
Human being with feelings

Default XR-18 Multitrack Input Setup Help

OK fellow users, I need some guidance please. Who is successfully using the XR18 with Reaper to record live shows? I have a job in a couple weeks that I want to multi-track record to mix and edit at home later. I have Reaper downloaded on both the mobile laptop and my home PC so I'm ready to go. I need some 1st grade level walk through on what to do with the Reaper program once I have it USB connected to the XR. I think I get the XR side USB routing, (but a little fuzzy on using 17-18 for the FX sends though). But, I was hoping it would be more plug and play than I think its going to be. What do I have to do once I open up the Reaper program on the recording laptop? Obviously create and save a new 'project' for each recorded set but do I have to create 16 or 18 new tracks in Reaper every time? Or will the program recognize the recognize the input as the 18 channels and do that automatically? Once I have this sorted I can move on to the next couple questions. I have a long way to go and a short time to get there...
wilson schulbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson schulbus View Post
Who is successfully using the XR18 with Reaper to record live shows?
I do use an XR18 for recording with Reaper.

Works perfectly without any issues or needing any tricks. E.g. Recording 18 audio tracks and a Midi Track with just a single USB cable.

Regarding the Reaper setup, you can re-use a working project by saving it with another name and/or in another directory (this does not copy the recorded data: new audio files will be created in the new directory, by default), or (more "professional") creating a project template from it that holds all setting.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:08 AM   #3
uncleswede

I regularly record live multitrack via XR18 into Reaper using a core i5 laptop without issues so far. I did have a few clicks and pops at first with an old HP laptop but that was the laptop resources at fault - the newer laptop is fine.

I only record channels 1-16 (we use 17/18 for intermission music) and record DRY (which is the default for XR18 USB sends) to 48KHz/24bit FLAC files. You can change the tap points for the USB sends if you want wet recordings.

I have (or create in advance) XR18 scenes/snapshots for each band plus a Reaper project template and life is simple.

Adjust the XR18 channel gains to peak around -15dB (this is standard gain staging practice, not just for recording) and set your Reaper XR18 ASIO buffer to 2048 for 'safe' recording.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
wilson schulbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
I regularly record live multitrack via XR18 into Reaper using a core i5 laptop without issues so far. I did have a few clicks and pops at first with an old HP laptop but that was the laptop resources at fault - the newer laptop is fine.

I only record channels 1-16 (we use 17/18 for intermission music) and record DRY (which is the default for XR18 USB sends) to 48KHz/24bit FLAC files. You can change the tap points for the USB sends if you want wet recordings.

I have (or create in advance) XR18 scenes/snapshots for each band plus a Reaper project template and life is simple.

Adjust the XR18 channel gains to peak around -15dB (this is standard gain staging practice, not just for recording) and set your Reaper XR18 ASIO buffer to 2048 for 'safe' recording.
I won't be changing any of the routing defaults unless I am told I need to. Is the FLAC file and option in the Reaper or XR setup? Where does one find the ASIO buffer and do you leave it set that way all the time, recording or not?

Is there anything special you do with the recorded project files before moving them to another device? Do you do that with a USB drive? And, what's an estimated or average file size for say an hours set of recorded live music? I know that will change with the amount of input programming but I am just curious if I am looking at 1GB, 5GB, 10GB, more, etc. to insure I have sufficient hard drive space available on this older XP machine to record at least the full set. I can move that off to a secondary storage card between sets as needed to free up hard disk space for the next set.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
uncleswede

Quote:
I won't be changing any of the routing defaults unless I am told I need to. Is the FLAC file and option in the Reaper or XR setup?
Set FLAC in Reaper Project Settings

Quote:
Where does one find the ASIO buffer and do you leave it set that way all the time, recording or not?
Install the latest XR18 ASIO driver and set as your input choice in Reaper, Preferences, Audio, Device and then you can set the ASIO buffer size in the ASIO Configuration button on the same screen. I leave it at 2048 as I only record to the XR18, never playback from it (not quite true) as I copy recorded projects to my main studio PC which uses a low latency RME audio interface.

Quote:
Is there anything special you do with the recorded project files before moving them to another device? Do you do that with a USB drive?
Before the gig, I create the Reaper project, specify and audio subfolder AND SAVE IT immediately. This ensures that the recorded audio files will be stored in the project folder. It also means that you can Save the project as many times as you like during the recording, without disturbing it. At the end, I copy the project folder to at least one, sometimes two, fast USB sticks then load them onto the studio drives later

Quote:
And, what's an estimated or average file size for say an hours set of recorded live music? I know that will change with the amount of input programming but I am just curious if I am looking at 1GB, 5GB, 10GB, more, etc. to insure I have sufficient hard drive space available on this older XP machine to record at least the full set. I can move that off to a secondary storage card between sets as needed to free up hard disk space for the next set.
Recording all 16 channels at 48Khz/24bit FLAC for an hour is about 4GB, double that for WAV. The last project I did was 16 channels, 3 hours (12GB)
Old 09-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
wilson schulbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Set FLAC in Reaper Project Settings
I meant to ask, why FLAC?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:36 AM   #7
wilson schulbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I do use an XR18 for recording with Reaper.

Works perfectly without any issues or needing any tricks. E.g. Recording 18 audio tracks and a Midi Track with just a single USB cable.

Regarding the Reaper setup, you can re-use a working project by saving it with another name and/or in another directory (this does not copy the recorded data: new audio files will be created in the new directory, by default), or (more "professional") creating a project template from it that holds all setting.

-Michael
So, if I am understanding correctly, I have to set up a 16 track template first. That means creating a new project and individually generating the 16 tracks? This will not happen automatically via the XR USB connection where the Reaper program recognizes it as a multitrack format input?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
This will not happen automatically via the XR USB connection where the Reaper program recognizes it as a multitrack format input?
Nope. You need to add e.g. 16 tracks and connect each of them to an audio channel, and supposedly name them accordingly. Then save as a project template to easily reuse this configuration.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
wilson schulbus

This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for, thank you both for taking the time. I'll do some testing over the next few days and I am sure I'll have a few more questions from those efforts. Steep front-side learning curve for me.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #10
uncleswede

Quote:
This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for, thank you both for taking the time. I'll do some testing over the next few days and I am sure I'll have a few more questions from those efforts. Steep front-side learning curve for me.
You're welcome