Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Channonball
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper + Focusrite 2i2 + Mackie ProFX12 Compatibility issue

I am having trouble recording live drums using Reaper with Focusrite 2i2 and a Mackie ProFX12 board (2 mic's in each) and would really appreciate some help / advise.

1) My main issue is that I can't get Reaper to find the specific channels from each input device / Mic (i.e. I can only record a general mix, but can't record different Mic's on different channels as should be the case). I have seen online people setup recording equipment such as Mixers and select and name the different channels so that they can just change the inputs on each track to each mic, but I have never managed to get this to work (I just see channel 1 or 2). I have seen online ASIO is really good to use but I can only ever get WASAPI to work.

2) I'm also not sure if Reaper is able to cope with two different input devices simultaneously, as I would love to be able to setup all mic's as different tracks and record at the same time, to mix later, but couldn't find any online video's or guides of this being done.

3) Finally, even after setting my laptop sample rate and block size to that of the recording software (e.g. focusrite), I still get a roughly 400 ms latency which is really annoying whilst trying to record to a click track. Any ideas how I can remove or minimize this latency?

Thanks all for any help you can offer

Rob

ps// I need this setup as I want to record Snare, Bass, and overheads and the Mackie can only export as a stereo USB output (meaning I can't run all 4 mic's through the Mackie)
Channonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
ivansc

AFAIK this is more of a limitiation of windows and the ASIO spec than a Repaer limitation. Also, you are trying to access two USB devices at the same time for the same purpose.
Without dredging out a pair of usb interfaces and trying it myself I am pretty sure that the only way you can access more than one device in the way you want is to use ASIO4ALL but since that is a kludge that fools the system into thinking it is an asioo device, your latency will probably be even worse.
The quick dirty method would be to trade your Mackie and 2i2 for a four input interface with better drivers.

And in the meantime welcome to the forums!
If you didnt already, head to the top of this page and download the free User Guide and check out the many excellent free video tutorials.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:38 AM   #3
solger

Quote:
1) My main issue is that I can't get Reaper to find the specific channels from each input device / Mic (i.e. I can only record a general mix, but can't record different Mic's on different channels as should be the case). I have seen online people setup recording equipment such as Mixers and select and name the different channels so that they can just change the inputs on each track to each mic, but I have never managed to get this to work (I just see channel 1 or 2). I have seen online ASIO is really good to use but I can only ever get WASAPI to work.
As ivansc already mentioned: under Windows you'll need to use ASIO4ALL to make an aggregated audio device of both audio interfaces (Focusrite + Mackie) and use ASIO4ALL as audio driver in Reaper.
General info about setting up and troubleshooting ASIO4ALL can be found here: https://www.image-line.com/support/F...s_asio4all.htm

Quote:
2) I'm also not sure if Reaper is able to cope with two different input devices simultaneously, as I would love to be able to setup all mic's as different tracks and record at the same time, to mix later, but couldn't find any online video's or guides of this being done.
Basically you assign the appropriate inputs to each track and arm all the tracks you want to record to simultaneously.

More info can be found in the already mentioned Videos and User Guide (like chapter 3.6. To prepare and record multiple tracks).

Quote:
3) Finally, even after setting my laptop sample rate and block size to that of the recording software (e.g. focusrite), I still get a roughly 400 ms latency which is really annoying whilst trying to record to a click track. Any ideas how I can remove or minimize this latency?
Have a look at some DAW Optimization tips general:

- https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...C-Optimisation
- https://support.native-instruments.c...dio-Processing
- https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/supp...-for-daws.html
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

Last edited by solger; 07-01-2017 at 02:59 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
Channonball

Default Great advice

Thanks for the advice, I will try these out tomorrow morning back in the studio and let you know if they work.

Rob
Channonball is offline   Reply With Quote