Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-13-2020, 11:25 PM   #1
gvdv
Human being with feelings

Default Convert Apple Loops to .WAV Using a PC (or a Mac)?

Hi,
Quite a while ago I switched to from GarageBand (and, to an extent, Reaper) on a Mac to Reaper on PC.

I never thought that I could convert the loops on the Mac to .WAV or any other format that I could use in Reaper (the native wrapper for these loops is .caf).

However, I came across a 2017 thread here on the forums (link below) in which someone had used a program called 'Easy CAF Converter for Logic Pro'. One of the people on the thread I was reading here used this successfully, but someone else could not get the program to work.

I cannot seem to find this program any more, and I also am not sure that the conversion would work for GarageBand even though GB is Logic's little brother.

I also found out that NCH Software's 'Switch Audio File Converter Software' can, apparently, convert .CAF to .WAV, but I am a bit suspicious of using NCH Software stuff because of all the bloatware that usually comes with all of its programs.

There is also an online option for converting sound formats; this is called 'CloudConvert' - I would prefer to avoid using this if possible.

So, my questions are:
1. Can I convert .CAF to .WAV?
2. If so, how?
3. Can I perform this conversion on a PC?
(My Mac now has a very old OS, and it is also difficult to hook my Mac up to the net, so it would be easier for me to copy the loops across to a PC and do the conversion on the PC).
4. Has anyone here successfully used NCH's 'Switch Audio File Converter'?
5. If you have used Switch successfully to convert .CAF to .WAV, does it also convert all of the file's metadata?

I would be grateful for any help that anyone can give with this.

Many thanks.

2017 'Apple Loops in Reaper' Thread mentioning the Easy Caf Converter program
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....oops+in+reaper

Online options:
'CloudConvert'
https://cloudconvert.com/pricing

'Switch Audio File Converter Software'
https://www.nch.com.au/switch/index....BoCLCYQAvD_BwE

Last edited by gvdv; 12-13-2020 at 11:43 PM.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:25 AM   #2
jrk

will sox do it? ( http://sox.sourceforge.net/ ) ffmpeg?
Old 12-14-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
will sox do it? ( http://sox.sourceforge.net/ ) ffmpeg?
Hi jrk,
Thanks for your reply.

From the user reviews in the link you sent it looks like there are problems with using Sox for this.

I will search around for more reviews, but at this point I think I am reluctantly thinking of using Switch Audio File Converter.

Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

you can use my free media file context menu conversion tool AVConvert for this. It provides (batch) format conversion context menu entries for plenty of media files and converts them to other formats. I just added CAF-to-WAV conversion functionality to AVConvert after reading this thread.

Follow the link in my signature to find more info about AVConvert.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
vdubreeze

In the meantime, on OS X, if you highlight a caf file (or several) and shift-click to get the contextual menu, go to services and Encode Selected Audio Files. This will convert to AAC, which can then be opened in converters that don't understand caf, but I believe you can add a service to convert to wav instead.

On Windows, SonicAxiom's AVConvert seems like a much better idea

This had me curious what in my app folder on my Mac would batch convert cafs. My favorite and trusty XLD won't, but it turns out Macroplant's Adapter and MediaHuman's Audio Converter will. So if OS X is more convenient (and WINE is a hassle) you can try them.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 12-14-2020 at 01:47 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
you can use my free media file context menu conversion tool AVConvert for this. It provides (batch) format conversion context menu entries for plenty of media files and converts them to other formats. I just added CAF-to-WAV conversion functionality to AVConvert after reading this thread.

Follow the link in my signature to find more info about AVConvert.

Hi SonicAxiom,
Many thanks for this.

I am excited to try your AVConvert, and am very grateful that it is free.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
In the meantime, on OS X, if you highlight a caf file (or several) and shift-click to get the contextual menu, go to services and Encode Selected Audio Files. This will convert to AAC, which can then be opened in converters that don't understand caf, but I believe you can add a service to convert to wav instead.

On Windows, SonicAxiom's AVConvert seems like a much better idea

This had me curious what in my app folder on my Mac would batch convert cafs. My favorite and trusty XLD won't, but it turns out Macroplant's Adapter and MediaHuman's Audio Converter will. So if OS X is more convenient (and WINE is a hassle) you can try them.
Thanks very much for this, vdubreeze.

I think that I am going to use SonicAxiom's AVConvert, but your idea was a good one.

Out of interest, would there be any loss in quality in converting a .CAF file to AAC if I did it on my Mac?

I think the last OS I had on there was Snow Leopard or possibly Mountain Lion (it would not update after one those, I forget which), so if doing things that way requires a more recent OS, then I am out of luck.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
cyrano

FWIW, Easy CAF Converter is called "Audio Helper" these days. It's nephew, "CAF Converter Pro", is in the appstore. It's 4.99$.

see:
https://audiohelperproject.com/produ...for-logic-pro/
Old 12-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
FWIW, Easy CAF Converter is called "Audio Helper" these days. It's nephew, "CAF Converter Pro", is in the appstore. It's 4.99$.

see:
https://audiohelperproject.com/produ...for-logic-pro/
Thanks very much, cyrano.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
Hi SonicAxiom,
Many thanks for this.

I am excited to try your AVConvert, and am very grateful that it is free.
Please report back if everything works as expected.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
gvdv

Quote:
Please report back if everything works as expected.

Hi SonicAxiom,
Downloaded AVConvert, but could not get it to work.

If you are up for helping me trouble-shoot this, should we do that on this thread, or should I PM you?
Old 12-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #12
SonicAxiom

you can PM me if problems persist but maybe we can sort it out here and this solution may then help other folks in case they are having problems.

First thing to do is reading through the provided help file (pdf). It should answer most questions already. Please PM me if this doesn't help.
How far have you come after downloading the zip file?

Old 12-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #13
SonicAxiom

installation process is:
  • download zip file for your operating system type (32 bit or 64 bit).
  • extract entire AVConvert folder found in zip file to root of C:\ drive (which will give you C:\AVConvert\...)
  • open AVConvert folder and double-click the "add ..." reg file ("...hinzufügen" reg file for German users)
  • confirm two times by hitting ok
  • AVConvert should be immediately operational. Right-clicking a media file, you should see the corresponding AVConvert options for that specific media file type. If no option is shown, restart your computer.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #14
gvdv

Quote:
installation process is:
  • download zip file for your operating system type (32 bit or 64 bit).
  • extract entire AVConvert folder found in zip file to root of C:\ drive (which will give you C:\AVConvert\...)
  • open AVConvert folder and double-click the "add ..." reg file ("...hinzufügen" reg file for German users)
  • confirm two times by hitting ok
  • AVConvert should be immediately operational. Right-clicking a media file, you should see the corresponding AVConvert options for that specific media file type. If no option is shown, restart your computer.

Hi, SonicAxiom, thanks.

I had read through the help file (PDF) before I posted here about things not going as planned.

Here is what happened, and what I tried to do to uninstall the program fully before re-installing it.

Downloaded the zip file for my system (Win 10, 64 bit).

The download location I have set is my desktop, so that is where the zip file downloaded to.

Extracted the AVConvert file, and the first time I did this it wanted to install to the desktop; I had read the help file, and had seen that it needed to be in C:\AVConvert, but I second guessed myself and installed it to the chosen desktop location, regardless.

Then I went to an .MP3 file on my desktop, right clicked, and saw there was no menu for AVConvert.

Next, I went to the AVConvert directory, and tried to run the AVConvert - remove cascaded menu.reg file to try to remove the program from my system.

I now see that was the wrong file to use.

I also went to the C: drive, and saw that C:\AVConvert, was still there, so I - probably stupidly - deleted that directory.

I then tried downloading the program again, this time making sure that I specified the C:\ drive as the destination. I *may* have actually typed AVConvert as well, which might explain why I ended up with a path that I looked at later and which read C:\AVConvert\AVConvert\AVConvert

Anyway, I right-clicked on a few .MP3s and nothing worked.

So, I have probably messed things up.

Should I now run the uninstall file you mentioned above?
Old 12-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #15
gvdv

A kind soul on another forum pointed out that good old Audacity will convert and batch convert Apple Loops to .WAV

Here is a short video explaining the very simple process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlnE...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #16
SonicAxiom

don't worry, AVConvert won't mess up your system! It just won't work as long as you don't have the relevant files at the correct location under "C:\AVConvert" (however, not further down inside sub-folders of this path).

If all relevant files can now be found under "C:\AVConvert\AVConvert\AVConvert", then just move all those files a few folders up into "C:\AVConvert" and it will work. If you went through the removal process in the meantime, then simply double-click the "add" reg file again and hit ok two times.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #17
gvdv

Quote:
don't worry, AVConvert won't mess up your system! It just won't work as long as you don't have the relevant files at the correct location under "C:\AVConvert" (however, not further down inside sub-folders of this path).

If all relevant files can now be found under "C:\AVConvert\AVConvert\AVConvert", then just move all those files a few folders up into "C:\AVConvert" and it will work. If you went through the removal process in the meantime, then simply double-click the "add" reg file again and hit ok two times.

Thanks.

I was thinking more that I might have messed things up with my sloppy way of going about this - was not blaming the programme for any potential problems.

I got rid of the extra AVConvert directories, so that I only have C:\AVConvert, and I moved the files into them and then double-clicked on the .reg file.

All is working well now with converting .MP3s and .WAVs, and I will try converting .CAF to .WAV and get back to you about any problems.

Many thanks for your help, and for AVConvert.

Last edited by gvdv; 12-14-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #18
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Thanks.

I was thinking more that I might have messed things up with my sloppy way of going about this - was not blaming the programme for any potential problems.

I got rid of the extra AVConvert directories, so that I only have C:\AVConvert, and I moved the files into them and then double-clicked on the .reg file.

All is working well now with converting .MP3s and .WAVs, and I will try converting .CAF to .WAV and get back to you about any problems.

Many thanks for your help, and for AVConvert.
Great news! Your welcome!

You can actually select multiple files with the same file extension and convert them all with a single click. There is a known limitation in Windows on some computers that prevents execution of such batch conversion processes on more than X files (X sometimes being only 16 files depending on how Windows had been deployed to the computer). If you encounter this limitation and are annoyed about it, let me know. There's a simple solution to get rid of this limit. One Registry value has to be set from X to whatever you like. For now, let's assume you are lucky and your machine doesn't have this limitation

Old 12-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #19
gvdv

Quote:
Great news! Your welcome!

You can actually select multiple files with the same file extension and convert them all with a single click. There is a known limitation in Windows on some computers that prevents execution of such batch conversion processes on more than X files (X sometimes being only 16 files depending on how Windows had been deployed to the computer). If you encounter this limitation and are annoyed about it, let me know. There's a simple solution to get rid of this limit. One Registry value has to be set from X to whatever you like. For now, let's assume you are lucky and your machine doesn't have this limitation

Thanks.

I also just found a Reaper Blog video which partly deals with importing .aiff files and ways of retaining the original BPM. (see 0.16 - 3.21)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxlb4PNCt7M

I forgot to ask you, will AVConvert retain the metadata in the .CAF files (BPM and so on)? Audacity does not do this.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:39 PM   #20
SonicAxiom

Quote:

Thanks.

I forgot to ask you, will AVConvert retain the metadata in the .CAF files (BPM and so on)? Audacity does not do this.
I told it to do so. If it's not retained, then there's probably no way to retain it. I keep my fingers crossed! I'm interested in knowing if it works for you.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #21
gvdv

Quote:
I told it to do so. If it's not retained, then there's probably no way to retain it. I keep my fingers crossed! I'm interested in knowing if it works for you.

SonicAxiom,
I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to report back to you about my experience using AVConvert to convert Mac .CAF files to .WAV.

I only copied a couple of files across to my PC a few minutes ago, and I am happy to say that I am delighted that AVConvert works PERFECTLY.

Even if it had not worked, I very much appreciate you (a) responding to my question and participating in this thread, (b) walking me through the process of setting up AVConvert, (c) for creating AVConvert in the first place, and (d) for offering it free.

Offering something like this free is very kind and generous, and creates a lot more sonic and audio possibilities for those of us former Mac users who want to be able to use some of the Mac Loops in the PC realm (which is my natural 'habitat', actually).

You, sir, are a genius for creating this program.

Many thanks, and

All the best.

Have a great Holiday season.

Last edited by gvdv; 12-20-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:04 AM   #22
SonicAxiom

Quote:
SonicAxiom,
I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to report back to you about my experience using AVConvert to convert Mac .CAF files to .WAV.

I only copied a couple of files across to my PC a few minutes ago, and I am happy to say that I am delighted that AVConvert works PERFECTLY.

Even if it had not worked, I very much appreciate you (a) responding to my question and participating in this thread, (b) walking me through the process of setting up AVConvert, (c) for creating AVConvert in the first place, and (d) for offering it free.

Offering something like this free is very kind and generous, and creates a lot more sonic and audio possibilities for those of us former Mac users who want to be able to use some of the Mac Loops in the PC realm (which is my natural 'habitat', actually).

You, sir, are a genius for creating this program.

Many thanks, and

All the best.

Have a great Holiday season.
Wow! I'm humbled and overwhemled by all those kind words you are writing, gvdv!!! Thank you so much! Seriously! I can't think of a more heartwarming and encouraging post than yours (it feels like a Christmas present) and the fact that I decided to offer it for free to make it available to everybody and then getting your response has made it worth while already

One can probably tell that I'm not the best businessman but rather an enthusiastic audio guy. I'm happy with that.

Thank you for using my tool and all the best to you and your loved ones, too!

Old 12-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
gvdv

Quote:
Wow! I'm humbled and overwhemled by all those kind words you are writing, gvdv!!! Thank you so much! Seriously! I can't think of a more heartwarming and encouraging post than yours (it feels like a Christmas present) and the fact that I decided to offer it for free to make it available to everybody and then getting your response has made it worth while already

One can probably tell that I'm not the best businessman but rather an enthusiastic audio guy. I'm happy with that.

Thank you for using my tool and all the best to you and your loved ones, too!

SonicAxiom,
I am so glad that my thanks meant something to you.

I feel that people do not generally take the time to stop and acknowledge others, and I try to do that as much as possible and to value people's contributions to friendships, as well as thanking people like you who do such kind things for the benefits of others.

So, I try to put my words/money where my mouth is, and hearing that it has meant something to you has made me very happy, so thank you.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #24
gvdv

SonicAxiom,
By the way, is AVC supposed to convert .WAVs to .MP3?

I thought that it was, but I am not getting that option.

If it does not offer that functionality, I think that would be a great addition to AVC, and having choices within that functionality for setting ABR, VBR, bit rates, and so on.

Just a suggestion.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #25
SonicAxiom

Quote:
SonicAxiom,
I am so glad that my thanks meant something to you.

I feel that people do not generally take the time to stop and acknowledge others, and I try to do that as much as possible and to value people's contributions to friendships, as well as thanking people like you who do such kind things for the benefits of others.

So, I try to put my words/money where my mouth is, and hearing that it has meant something to you has made me very happy, so thank you.
Yes, they mean a lot to me, absolutely! And I felt a strong urge to let you know how thankful I am for your kind words and how extraordinary it is to read posts like yours let alone being the actual recipient of one

I believe that doing good things to others will somehow make good things come back to yourself. Simple concept, I'm sure it works. Doing good things will initiate a "good cycle" which feeds back itself. The sad thing is that this is also true for doing bad things. A lot of human interaction is negative and based on revenge or even hate, obviously accelerating the vicious cycle. Simple concept, too, and many people seem to swear by it.

I wanna genuinely thank you as much as you thank me, LOL. That's nice. It makes you feel great and I'm feeling great, too. Apprechiation, politeness and spreading happiness is not rocket science.

So, thank you again. I'm happy, too, thanks to you

Stay safe, mate!

Old 12-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #26
SonicAxiom

Quote:
SonicAxiom,
By the way, is AVC supposed to convert .WAVs to .MP3?

I thought that it was, but I am not getting that option.

If it does not offer that functionality, I think that would be a great addition to AVC, and having choices within that functionality for setting ABR, VBR, bit rates, and so on.

Just a suggestion.
yes, when right-clicking a wav file, MP3 conversion is shown in the "convert format ..." submenu among all other target formats. The sub menu entries should be sorted alphabetically.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #27
gvdv

Quote:
Yes, they mean a lot to me, absolutely! And I felt a strong urge to let you know how thankful I am for your kind words and how extraordinary it is to read posts like yours let alone being the actual recipient of one

I believe that doing good things to others will somehow make good things come back to yourself. Simple concept, I'm sure it works. Doing good things will initiate a "good cycle" which feeds back itself. The sad thing is that this is also true for doing bad things. A lot of human interaction is negative and based on revenge or even hate, obviously accelerating the vicious cycle. Simple concept, too, and many people seem to swear by it.

I wanna genuinely thank you as much as you thank me, LOL. That's nice. It makes you feel great and I'm feeling great, too. Apprechiation, politeness and spreading happiness is not rocket science.

So, thank you again. I'm happy, too, thanks to you

Stay safe, mate!

I am glad that we feel the same way, although I have seen too much bad stuff happening to nice people that I do not believe in a good karma.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #28
gvdv

Quote:
yes, when right-clicking a wav file, MP3 conversion is shown in the "convert format ..." submenu among all other target formats. The sub menu entries should be sorted alphabetically.

Just tested this with a test recording I made in Reaper, and I got all of the menu options.

However, I tried it yesterday on the .CAF files I had converted to .WAVs (i.e., after I had converted them, so I was hoping to convert the .WAVs to .MP3), and the only options I got were to extract the Left and Right channels.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #29
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Just tested this with a test recording I made in Reaper, and I got all of the menu options.

However, I tried it yesterday on the .CAF files I had converted to .WAVs (i.e., after I had converted them, so I was hoping to convert the .WAVs to .MP3), and the only options I got were to extract the Left and Right channels.
Conversion to MP3 format is only available when right-clicking a wave file (in the "conversion" sub-menu, not the "extract" sub-menu). Depending on the audio file type you are right-clicking on, up to 4 menu entries are available: 1. "convert format", 2. "extract", 3. "change sasmple rate" and 4. "change bit rate". MP3 conversion appears in the "convert format" sub-menu of wave file. You can convert any of the currently supported source file types to wave first and then convert the resulting wave files to the desired target format. Can you post a screenshot of your wave file "conversion" sub-menu?

Old 12-28-2020, 10:53 PM   #30
gvdv

Quote:
Conversion to MP3 format is only available when right-clicking a wave file (in the "conversion" sub-menu, not the "extract" sub-menu). Depending on the audio file type you are right-clicking on, up to 4 menu entries are available: 1. "convert format", 2. "extract", 3. "change sasmple rate" and 4. "change bit rate". MP3 conversion appears in the "convert format" sub-menu of wave file. You can convert any of the currently supported source file types to wave first and then convert the resulting wave files to the desired target format. Can you post a screenshot of your wave file "conversion" sub-menu?

Sorry, I thought that I had answered this.

I got AVConvert to work; I think I was either doing something wrong.

Thanks once again, SonicAxiom, and I just recommended AVConvert to someone else here on the forum.

Am about to make a small donation to you, too, as thanks.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:05 PM   #31
gvdv

Default 64 Bit of AVConvert Available?

22 November, 2022

Hi,
I just sent SonicAxiom a PM, in the hope that he will see it, but in case that does not happen, I wanted to post something here.

I had been using SonicAxiom's excellent AVConvert program, but have recently changed computers, and cannot find a link to download the file anywhere, despite there being some text on https://www.audioworld.de/AudioWorld%20AVConvert_e.php saying "Latest version: 2022-10-03 (release notes)"

Despite there being notes at the above link, there is nowhere (anywhere on the net) that I can find to download AVConvert.

So, if anyone can point me in the direction of a link or website from which to download AVConvert - preferrably the 64-bit version - I would be very grateful.

Or, if someone has any idea of how to get in touch with SonicAxiom, that would be great, too.

Many thanks.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #32
SonicAxiom

Quote:
22 November, 2022

Hi,
I just sent SonicAxiom a PM, in the hope that he will see it, but in case that does not happen, I wanted to post something here.

I had been using SonicAxiom's excellent AVConvert program, but have recently changed computers, and cannot find a link to download the file anywhere, despite there being some text on https://www.audioworld.de/AudioWorld%20AVConvert_e.php saying "Latest version: 2022-10-03 (release notes)"

Despite there being notes at the above link, there is nowhere (anywhere on the net) that I can find to download AVConvert.

So, if anyone can point me in the direction of a link or website from which to download AVConvert - preferrably the 64-bit version - I would be very grateful.

Or, if someone has any idea of how to get in touch with SonicAxiom, that would be great, too.

Many thanks.
Hi Geert,
I'll PM you shortly.
Cheers!
Sonic
Old 11-22-2022, 08:28 PM   #33
gvdv

Quote:
Hi Geert,
I'll PM you shortly.
Cheers!
Sonic
Thanks very much
Old 11-26-2022, 04:01 AM   #34
norbury brook

@SonicAxiom

I’d be interested in getting hold of this too as I’ve a ton of Logic content I’d like to use on my PC in reaper.

M
Old 12-02-2022, 09:10 PM   #35
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
@SonicAxiom

I’d be interested in getting hold of this too as I’ve a ton of Logic content I’d like to use on my PC in reaper.

M
Sorry for the delayed reply, nb. Have been working on a new public release of AVConvert which has just been released on its website. Hope you have good use for it!

As always, follow the correct procedure to unregister a possible older version of AVConvert before extracting and registering the new one! If appliccable, don't overwrite or delete the existing Logos and USER folders to keep their contents. There's never anything in those that gets updated.

Please be aware that context menu entries of the new version have been restructured to get rid of many redundant menu entries. Some global settings are now managed via the folder background context menu in Windows Explorer. Another major improvement is that you can now specify files that are ment to be used as overlays or for muxing by simply right-clicking them and choosing "AVConvert - memorize this file's name". So, no more typing path names except for the path where to save your screen videos.

Here are some of the the new highlights:
  • record 1080p full screen desktop videos while already incl. pre-configured title, text and/or logo overlays on-the-fly
  • record 4k screen videos in 2160p @ 12 fps while already incl. pre-configured title, text and/or logo overlays on-the-fly
  • stack centered sections of 2 or even 3 videos horizontally in one output video (2 or 3 talking-heads-like arrangement); background customizeable as solid colour or custom bg image
  • 2 videos in split-screen
  • right-click files to memorize their names for use in AVConvert (for muxing, overlays, etc.); no more file name and path typing required in most cases
  • slowly zoom into rather static video footage to add dynamic
  • show current overlay image files (title/logo/bg image) in image viewer
  • customizeabe video-over-video overlay incl. customizeable audio mixing
  • overlay framed still image over video
  • add customizeable movie/cinematic colour effect to video footage (adjustable saturation and gamma)
  • create videos from animated GIFs
  • create smart phone video effect of portrait-oriented videos or still images (blurred background padded on the sides)
  • render videos backwards
  • overlay timecode over video; start time and font are customizeable
  • temporarily disable and re-enable all overlay images

There have been countless other tweaks and fixes included.

Note that screen videos have no audio! It feels a bit like LiceCap for video

This is for increased compatibility and to avoid dropped frames, especially when recording a 4k desktop. You can easily mux separately created audio losslessly with the screen recording later.

Have fun

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 12-02-2022 at 09:17 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #36
norbury brook

thanks , just spent a couple of hours trying to get this to work.

tried with your translator but nothing happens when I Right click and use the convert to wav menu. I just get a windows menu saying choose which program to open this file.

it then plays the file but no conversion.

VLC will play the *.caf files no problem but reaper wont.

I also tried using Audacity. this will work on a single file at a time but using the Macro batch convert doesn't work.

I've a feeling this is something to do with windows 11.

I might try it on my Mac and see whats what.

M
Old 12-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #37
SonicAxiom

Quote:
thanks , just spent a couple of hours trying to get this to work.

tried with your translator but nothing happens when I Right click and use the convert to wav menu. I just get a windows menu saying choose which program to open this file.

it then plays the file but no conversion.

VLC will play the *.caf files no problem but reaper wont.

I also tried using Audacity. this will work on a single file at a time but using the Macro batch convert doesn't work.

I've a feeling this is something to do with windows 11.

I might try it on my Mac and see whats what.

M
What exactly are you refering to by writing "my translator"?

A couple of things to check:
  • Did you extract the zip to the root of your C:\ drive? Location must be C:\AVConvert! The "open with" message indicates that you extracted the AVConvert files to the wrong path/location.
  • Did you exactly follow the procedure to register AVConvert as described in the help file incl. a possible removal of a previous version prior to registering the new version?
  • Try setting ffmpeg.exe to run as an admin.
If answer is "yes" to the two first questions, it must be a Win11-related issue, probably related to user (access) permission. Unfortunately, I only recently transitioned to Win10 and have no way to test it on Win11. Geert PM'ed me that he had the same issue on his Win11 computer which indicats that Win11 is actually the culprit.

I suggested that he'd take ownership of the AVConvert folder and grant full permission to access it incl. the subfolders.

AVConvert is a Windows-only context menu extension. It can't work on Mac.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #38
norbury brook

Quote:
What exactly are you refering to by writing "my translator"?

A couple of things to check:
  • Did you extract the zip to the root of your C:\ drive? Location must be C:\AVConvert! The "open with" message indicates that you extracted the AVConvert files to the wrong path/location.
  • Did you exactly follow the procedure to register AVConvert as described in the help file incl. a possible removal of a previous version prior to registering the new version?
  • Try setting ffmpeg.exe to run as an admin.
If answer is "yes" to the two first questions, it must be a Win11-related issue, probably related to user (access) permission. Unfortunately, I only recently transitioned to Win10 and have no way to test it on Win11. Geert PM'ed me that he had the same issue on his Win11 computer which indicats that Win11 is actually the culprit.

I suggested that he'd take ownership of the AVConvert folder and grant full permission to access it incl. the subfolders.

AVConvert is a Windows-only context menu extension. It can't work on Mac.

Ah sorry I didn't see the part where it needs to be registered.

It's extracted to the correct place. and the reg file was installed. I had no previous versions.

I'll try registering it.

I meant trying it on my mac with Audacity.

thanks for your help.

M
Old 12-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #39
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Ah sorry I didn't see the part where it needs to be registered.

It's extracted to the correct place. and the reg file was installed. I had no previous versions.

I'll try registering it.

I meant trying it on my mac with Audacity.

thanks for your help.

M
Registering is done by double-clicking the (correctly extracted) "AVConvert - add cascaded context menu.reg" file and then confirming two times. The menus are usable immediately after doing this.

Are you now getting access to the context menus as expected?

Old 12-05-2022, 12:42 PM   #40
norbury brook

Quote:
Registering is done by double-clicking the (correctly extracted) "AVConvert - add cascaded context menu.reg" file and then confirming two times. The menus are usable immediately after doing this.

Are you now getting access to the context menus as expected?

Ok deleted everything and installed again.

It's working now but only on one file at a time. It will not do multiple files.

I know you mentioned a registry edit to overcome this somewhere.

All the dos windows open and close so it looks like its converting multiple files but onlt the first one converts.

M