Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #1
Cosmic Pig
Human being with feelings

Default Favorite cheap headphones? Good resources here + EQ curves

I've been using an old pair with no name on them for years. Every time I buy a new pair in the 80-120$ range they suck. Probably because they're in the 80-120$ range, but still one hopes for miracles.

How much should I expect to pay for good enough to do most mixing on?

I edited the title because of the valuable info you guys added to this thread. Thanks to all!

Last edited by Cosmic Pig; 03-01-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #2
chacka

I was working for years on cheapos. Recently switched to Austrian Audio X60. Very detailed, low distortion even when LOUD. Really comfortable after long hours still. Would buy them again.
Disclaimer: They are that neutral so that a bad mix sounds.... bad. Really bad. So there is nothing hyped about them. They are work tools. Not fun phones. Good mixes though... Awesome. Clarity, punch, depth, all there. Work great with low volume and don't die or fart when you want to slam it.
chacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:20 PM   #3
peter5992

For $100 hard to go wrong with Sennheiser HD280.

On sale for $80 at amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Pr...dp/B00IT0IHOY/
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
Dr Bob

I got my Sennheiser HD 599 SE phones for £80 at Amazon ... great phones.

Now £69 ... check it out.

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:56 PM   #5
Softsynth

Grado SR60 or 80 at the cheap end. If you cannot afford them you get them second-hand.

If you are prepared to stretch your budget have a look at second-hand Sennheiser HD600. Check to see if your sound interface will play loud enough with the HD600s.

These 599 headphones are pretty decent and heavily discounted at £70:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-...Y2hfYXRm&psc=1
You can't go wrong at that price they are nicely balanced warm headphones. They don't have the clarity of HD600 but they have a nice sweet sound and are plenty good enough for most people's needs when mixing I suggest.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #6
beingmf

Grados are fantastic, but I wasn't happy mixing on them. An unbelieveable bargain are the Soundmagic E10 in-ears, featuring an extremely detailed bass resolution and non-fatiguing top end.
(coming from someone who doesn't Like headphones at all)
Old 11-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #7
jnorman34

Beyer 880 are good, but I still use my Sony 7506 all the time. They show me every flaw, from random foot tapping or piano damper thuds, to occasional clicks or room noises, and from minor high end harshness and “sss” and plosives to mud in the low mids. They would not be my choice for casual listening (that would be senn hd6xx open back models), but for detailed examination of a mix, the 7506 is what I am used to, and will stick with.
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Grados are fantastic, but I wasn't happy mixing on them.
I don't think you'd have a problem with my other suggestions there.
Old 11-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #9
TonE

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm
sounding like 150 EUR headphones, just try and read the comments there. Have fun friends.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #10
Maskmagog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm
sounding like 150 EUR headphones, just try and read the comments there. Have fun friends.
+1!
(Although I haven't actually used them for mixing, but as music/gaming headphones. They sound a LOT better than the price tag, imho.)
Maskmagog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:34 AM   #11
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I don't think you'd have a problem with my other suggestions there.
The same I'd have with most other headphones give or take. Exceptions are magnetoplanars, which sound so honest and brutal that it's impossible to enjoy 95% of all music out there. Once it sounds good on them, you know you're on the right track. Not suitable for recording though, as they're (very) open back.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:47 AM   #12
enroe

Quote:
If you are prepared to stretch your budget have a look at second-hand Sennheiser HD600.
If you really do a lot with headphones - composing, mixing, ... -
then it might be worth spending a little more: HD-600

Old 11-25-2022, 05:33 AM   #13
Softsynth

Quote:
The same I'd have with most other headphones give or take. Exceptions are magnetoplanars, which sound so honest and brutal that it's impossible to enjoy 95% of all music out there. Once it sounds good on them, you know you're on the right track. Not suitable for recording though, as they're (very) open back.
Happy with HD800 and electrostatic Stax, both of which I prefer to magnaplanar. Maggie's are good though - at the high end anyway. Not big on headphones though - if I can help it.

I've had these headphones for a long, long time now. Had HD600s for decades too. Stax even older.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:46 AM   #14
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
If you really do a lot with headphones - composing, mixing, ... -
then it might be worth spending a little more: HD-600

I find those brilliant all rounders. Very nicely detailed -will tell you enough about your mix- but not the super defined lay everything bare type (arguably unlike the other headphones I discussed in the last post).

Apologies for the waffle in the last post to everyone. Beingmf started me on relatively high-end headphones mentioned Maggies!
HD600 are probably high-end to most people too- maybe even second-hand, especially when people extolled the virtues of £25 headphones.

Edit:I see now you can buy magnaplanar headphones from just £150!!!
Last time I was looked into them there was no modest cost versions. I seem to recall them starting at about £600. So that's my fault for going into high-end territory waffle.

Last edited by Softsynth; 11-25-2022 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Speech to text typo "my" removed. I don't have maggies in my collection, just a few Sennheiser & elderly Stax.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #15
Cosmic Pig

Awesome replies all. I figure I'll wait until I have a little more dough as it sounds like the HD 600's are a good bet. I don't do much mixing on HP but it's handy for editing, and of course if edits were horses I would ride like a king. Or something.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:11 PM   #16
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Pig View Post
Awesome replies all. I figure I'll wait until I have a little more dough as it sounds like the HD 600's are a good bet. I don't do much mixing on HP but it's handy for editing, and of course if edits were horses I would ride like a king. Or something.
Glad it helped.

HD600 to me sounds plain and honest in the best way for working or pleasure.

Sparkly treble and bass bloom of many cheaper poorly controlled cans can fool people. They don't realise they are listening through a relative layer of mud!
Old 11-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #17
stillshaded

People don’t seem aware of the audio technica ATH-AD500X.

They’re about 80 bucks and really fantastic for the money. They are open back, which I would strongly recommend for mixing.
stillshaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:24 AM   #18
JustSomeGuy

Default Beyer DT 770 Pro

These may not fall into the "budget" catagory for some,however they are spectacular in all the ways that truly matter for less than $150USD

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ing-headphones
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #19
mixer9

Cheap right now is Tascam th300x at $40, I've seen them at $150. I have liked these a lot, and wondering how they compare for other people.
mixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:10 PM   #20
beingmf

Quote:
I see now you can buy magnaplanar headphones from just £150!!!
Last time I was looked into them there was no modest cost versions. I seem to recall them starting at about £600. So that's my fault for going into high-end territory waffle.
Righty! I got me the Monoprice 1060, which are probably the most affordable of them all, but really really good.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #21
Sibben

I think AKG is good value for money and I’m partial to the 702:s. Once you go open back there’s no going back!

They have a replacement cable which is great. I’ve had to ditch perfectly fine cans because the cable gives.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:18 PM   #22
mschnell

I am very happy with the AKG 721 MKII, I got foe some €80.

(As an Upgrade I am considering Adam or Neumann NDH30, rather than different cheapies. But I would need a pro amp for those, additionally )
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-26-2022 at 04:27 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:58 PM   #23
Bubbalou88

Default Very nice Headphones at great price

I have looked and looked at headphones and usually reviews or price kept me away.
I found a set of Sterling S452 Studio headphones. When they came in I expected them to be ok but they totally surprised me. The sound is really nice and reasonably comfortable. The cable comes with a screw on 1/8” to 1/4” Gold adapter that snaps in place on the headphones. Only $69 on sale at GC or MF. $99 everywhere else
Very cushioned with Cast Aluminum frame. Because they have Neodymnium magnets they only use 100mw of power vs the 3500mw of my American Audio I bought years ago.

Last edited by Bubbalou88; 01-11-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Bubbalou88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:41 PM   #24
DVDdoug

With headphones there's almost no correlation between price and sound quality. Of course, most reviewers or "audiophiles" will prefer whatever is the most expensive.

And, the main difference is frequency response and to a large extent that can be tweaked with EQ.

Different people have different preferences and to most listeners flat frequency response doesn't "sound right" with headphones whereas flat response is usually desired with speakers. There is something called the Harman Target Curve which has boosted bass and boosted mid-highs.

Headphones are also notoriously difficult to measure because of the way they interact with the ear and there is no one-standard artificial head/ear so different people get different measurements.

The Koss Porta Pro (about $50 USD) is famous for being "good for the money" but it's not considered "great" when compared to high end headphones.

The AKG K371 (about $150) is very highly regarded (for sound quality) and may be preferred over anything else (or equal to anything else) at any price. It does have a reputation for being fragile or flimsy...

Audio Science Review has lots of independent headphone reviews and measurements. But it looks like they haven't reviewed any Sterling headphones.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:04 PM   #25
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman34 View Post
BI still use my Sony 7506 all the time. They show me every flaw, from random foot tapping or piano damper thuds, to occasional clicks or room noises, and from minor high end harshness and “sss” and plosives to mud in the low mids.
I used MDRV6s in the 80s with my 1" Ampex tape based studio, and when they broke in 2020, I bought a set of MDR7506s, which are essentially the same headphone. I like them for the same reasons.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:32 PM   #26
Bazzbass

I have AKG K72s for my studio guests, around a hundred bucks here. Bought myself the AKG K612 Pro for my birthday and wow, what an improvement. So I suggest saving up for a really good pair, whatever brand.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:07 AM   #27
Softsynth

Sadly the disappearance of bricks and mortar shops makes it much more difficult to try headphones now. You should be able to try them from 20 quid to 2000 quid, whatever. Not so easy today in a lot of areas.

Comfort and tonal balance (on and in your head) being the most important factors.

Cheaper tonally pleasing and comfortable headphones will be better than uncomfortable expensive headphones with a tiring balance, even if they do tell you much more about the mix.

It is quite easy to get into a trap of wrongly assuming there is no benefit to spending more on headphones because you get pretty good performance at low cost with the right cans.

It is much easier to get a tiny lightweight diaphragm barely moving in a headphone to behave as desired than a vastly bigger heavier loudspeaker cone in a resonant loudspeaker box trying to shift the air in a room space.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:27 AM   #28
drichard

I have an old pair of Grado SR-60 that are my favorites. I have a half dozen pairs of phones, including Sony 7506, Audio Technica ATM 30 and ATM 50, the Superlux headphones mentioned above, and an old pair of AKG K240's. I also bought a pair of Behringer's that are supposed to be a copy of Beyer Dynamic DT770, which I think are junk. (I like and use a lot of Behringer products, but their headphones and speakers never sound good to me.)

The Grado phones for mixing, etc. and the Sony's when I need closed back phones for recording.

Quote:
I've been using an old pair with no name on them for years. Every time I buy a new pair in the 80-120$ range they suck. Probably because they're in the 80-120$ range, but still one hopes for miracles.

drichard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:12 AM   #29
Rednroll

I've worked in a few Pro studios in the past and a couple of the most commonly used headphones in recording booths for these studios have been the Sony MDR7506 and the AKG K240 headphones.

Maybe there's newer and better options. I just know those 2 are widely used for being robust, comfortable, reduced leakage, sounding good and affordable.

Both are in the under $100 price range.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-...3d670b6bc&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Stere...0-4513d670b6bc

I will never recommend headphones be used for mixing.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:38 AM   #30
nepenthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I've worked in a few Pro studios in the past and a couple of the most commonly used headphones in recording booths for these studios have been the Sony MDR7506 and the AKG K240 headphones.

Maybe there's newer and better options. I just know those 2 are widely used for being robust, comfortable, reduced leakage, sounding good and affordable.

Both of those are great. I've been using and traveling with the same pair of Sony 7506s for 20 years ever since I had to buy them for school. They seem like a headphone equivalent to the SM58 mic and you see them used all the time in the field by professional film crews and even the odd DJ from time to time. Recently the Audio Technica ATH-M30x which look very similar to Sony 7506s have been gaining popularity... They're comfortable and feel pretty solid but I'm not sure if they're as durable as the Sonys.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #31
WarrenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post

The AKG 240's have been a workhorse for me for 40 years now I still have the 4 working units, as well a Beyerdynamic DT220. I would not call them Reference headphones but have worked perfect for tracking for the entire 40 years.

W
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:15 PM   #32
Cosmic Pig

Quote:
Righty! I got me the Monoprice 1060, which are probably the most affordable of them all, but really really good.
I wound up getting the 1060's too. Great detail. The faster response of the planar magnetic drivers make everything clear in the mix. I watched some shootouts on youtube and I suspect almost anything in the 250-400 price range sounds pretty good.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:51 PM   #33
superblonde.org

look up massdrop sennheiser 6xx...
Old 01-15-2023, 12:08 PM   #34
rafa1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I am very happy with the AKG 721 MKII, I got foe some €80.

(As an Upgrade I am considering Adam or Neumann NDH30, rather than different cheapies. But I would need a pro amp for those, additionally )
-Michael
The Neumanns can be driven with even a mobile phone. Sciit stuff is cheap and works OK.
rafa1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:59 AM   #35
wibem

I use the Thomann HD880 https://www.thomann.de/de/the_tbone_hd880.htm and am very happy with them. They sound great, although they are quite cheap. I have tried headphones of a higher price range, but IMO the HD880 has a much more impressing sound.
wibem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:43 AM   #36
F1308

Quote:

Due to general low performance headphones were forbidden hereabouts.

Then a miracle turned using IEMs a must, thanks to TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM.

I should say two miracles, since price and performance are second to none.

A review from a highly rated testing site can be found here...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.37380/

Currently I am the proud owner of three, just in case, since I couldn't live without them once thoroughly tested via Roland Fantom 8 and virtual instruments from VSL, Native Instruments, Sonuscore, ProjectSAM, Spitfire AUDIO, etc, etc.

I now confront the deepest pipe organ tones easily, no more sorrow, no more pain.

The reviewer said they could very well be considered as a tuning fork for musicians. I myself couldn't have said it more concisely. So happy I cannot tell...

Most probably one should spend north of US $ 15000 in studio monitors to match this astounding performance.

Last edited by F1308; 01-16-2023 at 06:53 AM.
F1308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:37 PM   #37
sekim

IMO monitoring is the last place to cut corners. If you can't accurately hear what is really going on, the rest doesn't much matter imo. What sense does it make to have a $4K latest and greatest computer with $200 headphones? Or $10K of monitors and a bunch of panels in a room still fraught with problems despite the treatments? That's why I just upgraded my Austrian K701 with custom amp and Waves virtual studios for Audeze LCD-X 2021 with dedicated amp and Waves virtual studios.

It was a real eye opener to listen to grammy winning mastering engineer Glenn Schick describe how he dropped use of treated rooms and monitors in favor of high end cans and virtual studios. As he pointed out, even spending $5K on high end cans and another $1K-$2K on an amp is chump change compared to a properly treated room and suitable monitoring which is north of $100K, and then only if you own the building you're putting it in. And he feels his setup performs on par or better, plus has the massive benefit of complete portability.

FWIW the Audeze virtual studio software is made by Waves, and the Waves branded virtual studios contain custom EQ curves for Audeze (and other) headphones, so if you have the Waves ones, no real need to also get the Audeze ones.

JMO of course...and just a different perspective on where to spend...
sekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:57 PM   #38
Lynx_TWO

I own Grado 325i’s and Sennheiser 600’s…. I’ve also borrowed a friend’s ~$5k flat-panel headphones (I forget the model and brand-they sound amazing but not flat)…

I personally would never use the 600 series or the Grados for mixing: they are nowhere near flat. Bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 560s for ~$150. Probably the best bang-for-your-buck, darn-near-flat headphones. They kinda surprised everyone when they came out. I also use some Yamaha MSP7 pro studio monitors to check my mixes/masters and I’d say 95% of the time, no adjustments are needed from the headphones and if there ARE adjustments to be made, it’s almost always just the level of the vocals since the headphones tend to make me mix vocals a dB or two quieter than they should be.

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/e...i0c96sk5d9tog/

Edit: I’ve also used Master & Dynamic’s MW65 and, while I’m not sure how flat they are, those beryllium drivers did something I’d never heard before- I was able to literally hear the original signal and the distortion the VST I was using had applied, separately. It’s hard to describe, best I could say is the distortion sounded like a circular ring around the original signal with a small gap in between... Super weird and sounds crazy, I know. You’d have to try them, but they are quite impressive… can easily hear the difference between an MP3 at 224kbps (lossy) and FLAC (lossless) from the original. Something I’ve not been able to do reliably with any other speakers or headphones, not even the flat panel ones. They are very “surgical sounding” I guess would be the term I’d use…

https://www.masterdynamic.com/produc...ess-headphones

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 01-16-2023 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Quieter, not Louder
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:33 PM   #39
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
I’ve had to ditch perfectly fine cans because the cable gives.
I recommend that whichever headphones you buy, get the kind with a detachable cable. Resoldering cables is a hassle and a waste of time.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:58 PM   #40
sekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
I think AKG is good value for money and I’m partial to the 702:s. Once you go open back there’s no going back!

They have a replacement cable which is great. I’ve had to ditch perfectly fine cans because the cable gives.
My early K701 cable gave out and of course its hard mount. So I contact Harman to ask if they had the part for sale and they immediately volunteer to send me a new one for free. Three days later a new cable, the right one no less, shows up. Well done Harman! Got to shout out great customer service!
sekim is offline   Reply With Quote