Old 11-13-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
ajawamnet
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Mania - CD mastering questions

Saw his vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVUSy7MKmAk

Not sure about a few things:

How do you do "Audio in Pauses" mode? In otherwords, overlapping tracks? Audio in Pauses is what Wavelab calls it. https://steinberg.help/wavelab_pro/v..._pauses_c.html

Also - how does Render deal with things like UPC and CD metadata for the whole disc?

I'm guessing the individual tracks metadata will carry over, but what about stuff like CD Text? https://steinberg.help/wavelab_pro/v..._dialog_r.html

Also, will it do "Disk at Once" ? From Sony:

"isk-at-once is the name of a format used for writing data to CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW. It is the same writing format used for the press-type media (commercially available music CD and data CD-ROM).
The features of disk-at-once are as follows.

- Data cannot be added later.
- CD-ROM without gaps (silent portions) can be created.

Disk-at-once is different from the incremental writing formats (incremental track-at-once, session-at-once, packet writing, etc.) in that it completes the writing of data with single writing. Therefore, disk-at-once allows the creation of CD-ROM without gaps (silent portion between data), which is generated when data is written in incremental writing formats.

* "DirectCD" and "CDR-FS" are the packet writing software. Therefore, they cannot write data in the disk-at-once format even if you specify it."

Not so sure Reaper is quite ready to replace real mastering software... if it is please let me know...
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajawamnet View Post
...<snip>
Not so sure Reaper is quite ready to replace real mastering software... if it is please let me know...
Be sure that absolutely YES.
It does not have any fancy and great user interface, but all specs for DDP are included.

Basically, you place your markers where you need them with following naming conventions (extract from Help):

Album and track metadata is set by project marker names:
- markers starting with the "@" character represent album metadata
- markers starting with the "!" character represent the INDEX0 position for the following "#" track
- markers starting with the "#" character represent track metadata and the INDEX1 position

CD-Text is also possible.

It is important to set you project's framerate to 75fps (which is defined in Audio-CD).

Just read through the Help from Render dialog (choose DDP output format and click Help button) to learn about all the parameters and conventions.

Also there are few threads in the forum about Reaper's DDP process, also some YouTube videos.

Last edited by akademie; 11-13-2022 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typos
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
jamesp

Nowadays CD masters are created by creating a DDP fileset which is sent directly to the CD manufacturers.

Quote:
How do you do "Audio in Pauses" mode? In otherwords, overlapping tracks?
If you just want a track transition at a certain point then just insert an index 1 marker using a # where the new track starts. If you want a pause area where the previous track finishes before the new one starts - as you would perhaps on a live album where there is a long spoken introduction - you put a ! marker at the start of the pause and a # marker at the end of the pause. Your audio can be continuous all the way through but the markers tell the CD player what to do.

Quote:
Also - how does Render deal with things like UPC and CD metadata for the whole disc?

I'm guessing the individual tracks metadata will carry over, but what about stuff like CD Text?
Metadata relating to a track (track title, track artist, ISRC etc) is placed after the # marker. Metadata relating to the whole disc (album name, UPC, album artist, language etc) is placed after the @ marker which I normally place close to the end of the disc.

Quote:
Also, will it do "Disk at Once" ?
"Disk at Once" isn't relevant nowadays unless you are producing reference CDs. You should be using DDP. If a client wants a reference CD, I normally use Wyatt Rice's DDP to Cue Writer program to create a CD. I also use this to create a PQ sheet that I can send to the client.

Quote:
I've been mastering CDs (and other formats) with Reaper for many years. At first I would burn CDs using other software but since it started supporting DDP I've probably mastered around 50 commercially released CDs using Reaper on its own.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
ajawamnet

Actually it states that it IS using Disk At Once - page 401:

"9. Wait while the Burning in progress message is displayed. Your CD will be burnt using the Disk at Once
mode, and as such will be suitable for use by replicating or duplicating services."
Old 11-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
ajawamnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Be sure that absolutely YES.
It does not have any fancy and great user interface, but all specs for DDP are included.

Basically, you place your markers where you need them with following naming conventions (extract from Help):

Album and track metadata is set by project marker names:
- markers starting with the "@" character represent album metadata
- markers starting with the "!" character represent the INDEX0 position for the following "#" track
- markers starting with the "#" character represent track metadata and the INDEX1 position

CD-Text is also possible.

It is important to set you project's framerate to 75fps (which is defined in Audio-CD).

Just read through the Help from Render dialog (choose DDP output format and click Help button) to learn about all the parameters and conventions.

Also there are few threads in the forum about Reaper's DDP process, also some YouTube videos.
I can't find anything in the manual about track metadata. And searching the Reaper manual PDF for @ only shows:

Minimise all tracks. @ (on most keyboards, Shift with the 2 key).
Minimize all tracks @

on page 37.

Is there some other document that describes these marker prefixes and how to use them? And how do you add metadata to a marker? I know how to add it to a render, using the Cue menu pull down, but I still fail to see how to associate each marker to a specific file.

I do a lot of metal where on track fades across a marker. In Wavelab it's easy - just make sure the "audio in pauses" option is set. Works really well.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:04 PM   #6
jamesp

Quote:
I can't find anything in the manual about track metadata.
Is there some other document that describes these marker prefixes and how to use them? And how do you add metadata to a marker? I know how to add it to a render, using the Cue menu pull down, but I still fail to see how to associate each marker to a specific file.
Go to the render dialog - choose DDP output and then click on the help button.

You don't associate metadata with an input file, you associate the metadata with a marker. To output separate files with metadata you can convert the markers to regions and then export the regions to files which can include metadata if you set the right flags in the metadata output.

As an example, in the metadata editor use

$region(#Title)[|]

to export the track title and

$region(Performer)[|]

to export the track performer.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #7
ajawamnet

Alright... I found a tutorial and script from some dude named Cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faene5EFhnA

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34295/reaper_ddp_edit_R1.zip

The manual sucks at explaining that. As does help file. The script makes it easy to see what the hell's going on.

We'll see how well this works.