Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-13-2021, 06:20 AM   #81
Mcgiver69
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
It's mentioned in the second paragraph here: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...up-recommended

If you run just `yabridgectl` in your terminal, your shell (presumably Bash) will look through the search path directories defined using the PATH environment variable. Because ~/.local/share/yabridge probably isn't part of that environment variable, it cannot find yabridgectl. You need to run ~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl instead, or you can add ~/.local/share/yabridge to your PATH.
I did export the path to $PATH but still nothing, I would look into it or maybe manually add it to the path in profile.

Thanks for the input, last time I tried it (In another AVLinux build) it worked and it reduced the amount of memory used by my Windows vsts by half. I found they worked faster and never crashed. So yes I like yabridge more than LinVST.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #82
MusoBob

Dragging perfect now thanks !
I have wine and Crossover installed at the moment, will this work with just Crossover ?

MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #83
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoBob View Post
Dragging perfect now thanks !
I have wine and Crossover installed at the moment, will this work with just Crossover ?

Depending on how old the CrossOver's used version of Wine Staging is, perhaps. I don't know if CrossOver would recommend using their Wine build outside of CrossOver though, just like you shouldn't use Proton's Wine outside of Proton.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #84
Mcgiver69

Ok it worked for me!!!

Thank you very much!
Old 07-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #85
daniel88v8

ey bro i just installed manjaro, and wine stagging from the aur repo, but when try to install yabridge i get this error
https://imgur.com/cvbG0nI.png
daniel88v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #86
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel88v8 View Post
ey bro i just installed manjaro, and wine stagging from the aur repo, but when try to install yabridge i get this error
https://imgur.com/cvbG0nI.png
Looks like the download for boost_1_76_0.tar.gz fails right at the end for you, but the actual error is obscured behind that popup window (presumably it complains about permissions or something). Try building and installing the package from a terminal instead:

Code:
sudo pacman -S yay
yay -S lib32-boost-libs
Old 07-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #87
daniel88v8

[QUOTE=robbert-vdh;2463087]Looks like the download for boost_1_76_0.tar.gz fails right at the end for you, but the actual error is obscured behind that popup window (presumably it complains about permissions or something). Try building and installing the package from a terminal instead:

i think its installing now
https://imgur.com/l5HDGVJ.png
Old 07-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #88
robbert-vdh

Default [ANN] yabridge 3.4.0, with Wine->X11 drag-and-drop support and much more

I'm very excited to finally be able to share this new yabridge release with all of you! In terms of changes this has been the largest update since yabridge 3.0.0. Usability improvements were the main focus of this update, but this release also includes another round of optimizations to reduce yabridge's DSP load overhead even further. The most important change there is that the audio processing implementation has been completely rewritten to use a hybrid approach of a shared memory audio buffer combined with yabridge's usual socket-based message passing. This reduces the amount of additional work needed to process a buffer of audio significantly while still maintaining all of the benefits of yabridge's flexible communication design.

On the usability front, the main standout feature here is support for drag-and-drop from a Windows plugin running under yabridge to a native application, such as your DAW. This is the first time that this has been possible under Wine, and it should make using plugins that can generate audio or MIDI much more enjoyable. Another improvement worth mentioning is that yabridge will now actively prevent plugins from hiding the mouse cursor in incorrect ways. This prevents the cursor from permanently disappearing at random when using JUCE based plugins without breaking any functionality where the mouse cursor is supposed to be hidden, like when dragging knobs.

The full changelog with an exhaustive list of new features and improvements can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/3.4.0

Last edited by robbert-vdh; 07-15-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #89
Glennbo

Quote:
On the usability front, the main standout feature here is support for drag-and-drop from a Windows plugin running under yabridge to a native application, such as your DAW.
Very cool Robbert!!!

I just tried dragging and dropping with Superior Drummer 2 and with EZ-Keys Piano Essentials. Both worked just like they used to in Windows.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #90
clepsydrae

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but i just wanted to say thank you for working so hard on it. Having a functional way to use audio plugins in linux is the biggest hurdle remaining for me to finally cut the windows cord. I'm excited to check out yarbridge.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #91
JamesPeters

Quote:
On the usability front, the main standout feature here is support for drag-and-drop from a Windows plugin running under yabridge to a native application, such as your DAW. This is the first time that this has been possible under Wine,
...and the first time it's possible in Reaper for Linux period, including using native Linux VST plugins. You managed to add functionality that Reaper itself doesn't currently provide.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255494
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #92
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
...and the first time it's possible in Reaper for Linux period, including using native Linux VST plugins. You managed to add functionality that Reaper itself doesn't currently provide.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255494
Drag-and-drop from a native Linux plugin should work just fine in REAPER. It's the drag-and-drop to a native Linux plugin that doesn't work (unless you kind of bruteforce it) because REAPER will intercept the drop.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #93
FeedTheCat

Thanks! Can't wait to try the drag & drop.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:01 AM   #94
JamesPeters

Quote:
Drag-and-drop from a native Linux plugin should work just fine in REAPER. It's the drag-and-drop to a native Linux plugin that doesn't work (unless you kind of bruteforce it) because REAPER will intercept the drop.
Ok. The only Linux VST plugin I tested this with is Sitala, and it didn't allow drag and drop to or from it (media explorer, or timeline).

Just now I tested the Windows VST version of Sitala using Yabridge 3.4.0, and it won't allow drag and drop to or from it either. So this may go a bit deeper...
Old 07-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #95
mschnell

Quote:
I'm very excited to finally be able to share this new yabridge release with all of you! ...
Sounds GREAT
Thanks a lot for your work !
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #96
Mcgiver69

Installed it on Wine-staging 6.4 and it an error, then installed wine-staging 6.12 and returned same error. What am I doing wrong?

Warning: Could not run 'yabridge-host.exe'. Wine reported the following error:

wine: failed to start L"Z:\\home\\tripitaka\\.local\\share\\yabridge\\ya bridge-
host.exe.so"

Make sure that you have downloaded the correct version of yabridge for your distro.
This can also happen when using a version of Wine that's not compatible with this version of
yabridge, in which case you'll need to upgrade Wine. Your current Wine version is '6.12
(Staging)'. See the link below for instructions on how to upgrade your installation of Wine.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #97
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
Installed it on Wine-staging 6.4 and it an error, then installed wine-staging 6.12 and returned same error. What am I doing wrong?

Warning: Could not run 'yabridge-host.exe'. Wine reported the following error:

wine: failed to start L"Z:\\home\\tripitaka\\.local\\share\\yabridge\\ya bridge-
host.exe.so"

Make sure that you have downloaded the correct version of yabridge for your distro.
This can also happen when using a version of Wine that's not compatible with this version of
yabridge, in which case you'll need to upgrade Wine. Your current Wine version is '6.12
(Staging)'. See the link below for instructions on how to upgrade your installation of Wine.
What distro are you using, and which yabridge archive did you download? My guess is that you're using an older distro and downloaded the version built for Ubuntu 20.04 and newer. Check the Compatibilty section on the release page.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #98
Mcgiver69

Guys never mind, I solved the issue!!!

It works like a charm, I can drag and drop midi into tracks now!!
Old 07-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #99
daniel88v8

i am new to manjaro and linux in general, didn't know what it meant to build in aur packages. And I wasted like 3 hours of time waiting for yabridge to build. between the times that it gave an error, or that manjaro decided to close the session because there was no activity. I easily lost between 3 and 5 hours. but now I know that the next time I want to install an app, I have to make sure it says -bin, since they are previously built binaries.
damn.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:39 AM   #100
4duhwinnn

I've been setting up a Garuda Arch drive, and the package-manager 'bauh' has been very useful. In some cases, it will build an Arch package from source it downloads, and then install the new Arch package it made.

There are other package-install-managers, perhaps as good or better, this bauh is at least very easy to use.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 07-16-2021 at 05:13 AM.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:10 AM   #101
4duhwinnn

Very happily, with 3.4, I can now load multiple sounds in SampleTank4.
In SampleTank3, this always worked, but in V4, it would crash if I tried to load a 2nd instrument. And the mousepointer would hide most of the time in V4, also fixed by your new release. Another reason to start windows...
...bites the dust...another one bites the dust...
I set up a donation thru liberapay, and suffice it to say that I wish you had coaded their website! Thanks for the hard and successful work on the 3.4 release.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:54 AM   #102
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
I've been setting up a Garuda Arch drive, and the package-manager 'bauh' has been very useful. In some cases, it will build an Arch package from source it downloads, and then install the new Arch package it made.

There are other package-install-managers, perhaps as good or better, this bauh is at least very easy to use.
Cheers
Pamac does that too, for stuff from the AUR of course. It's in Manjaro by default.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #103
robbert-vdh

Default [ANN] yabridge 3.5.0, lots of small fixes and a rewritten embedding implementation

This is mostly a bug fix update. I was going to do a quick 3.4.1 patch with a couple of fixes for regressions people had reported for yabridge 3.4.0, but then I got reports that with certain setups (I wasn't able to replicate it), Ardour might resize plugin editor windows to an incorrect size when using Ardour 6.8 in combination with an older version of XFCE. So I decided to take this opportunity to rewrite the editor embedding implementation to make sure that hosts that somehow ignore the editor size reported by the plugin can never guess the wrong size by themselves. And we also need to get to yabridge 3.11 for Workgroups somehow, right? This change should fix rare editor size issues with Ardour, a similar issue with Carla 2.3.1 (older and newer versions aren't affected), and also fixes another Ardour issue where resizing a VST3 editor past its original size might leave behind gray borders. I haven't been able to find any regressions during my testing in any of the VST2 and VST3 hosts listed in the readme, but please let me know if you do run into any new issues after these changes!

The other changes are mostly bug fixes and small quality of life improvements, like extra debugging options for GUI related issues, and additional warnings in case the system is configured in a way that might cause yabridge to crash. The full changelog with an exhaustive list of fixes and improvements can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/3.5.0
Old 07-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #104
pax-eterna

Maybe OT here a bit, but should installing Yabridge using pamac take a long time?

It's been installing now for about 8 minutes requiring user intervention every so often to proceed and even to enter the root password to continue...it's still running as I type this...

And it seems to be re-isntalling the same thing over and over....one I noticed was Ninja??? soemthing or other then saying some fatal error, then running through installin 35 packages...This his appeard about 6 times now?

I am starting to thing this has/is doing something very wrong...

All selected from within pamac (add/remove) so it's not like I have done something random here, just whatever the program said to select

Last edited by pax-eterna; 07-23-2021 at 11:25 AM.
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #105
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Maybe OT here a bit, but should installing Yabridge using pamac take a long time?

It's been installing now for about 8 minutes requiring user intervention every so often to proceed and even to enter the root password to continue...it's still running as I type this...
Depends on how fast your PC is. Pamac would need to compile lib32-boost-libs first, and then it needs to compile both yabridge and yabridgectl. Compiling the 32-bit Boost libraries is probably going to take the longest time here. I think on my system doing all of this for the first time should only take two minutes at most, but it will very much depend on your system. You can also install the yabridge-bin package instead of the yabridge and yabridgectl packages to use the prebuilt version from GitHub.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #106
pax-eterna

it's a very fast system...I now know that yabridgectl has tried to install 6 times...I scolled back up the list....I pressed the cancel and and the end of each attempt it said failed, along with all the fatal messages, so as this whole process has now been running for about 15 minutes I am guessing something very wrong and bad has gone on, and I really do not know how bad it has affected the system.

I am thinking I now need to re-install the whole OS again and start from scratch as I do not know what has been compromised! And I do not know enough about Linux to try and fix it!

I'll be avoiding yabridge in the future though! I was only installing on the off-chance I MIGHT use a windows plug - I am not going to risk it again.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #107
robbert-vdh

Quote:
it's a very fast system...I now know that yabridgectl has tried to install 6 times...I scolled back up the list....I pressed the cancel and and the end of each attempt it said failed, along with all the fatal messages, so as this whole process has now been running for about 15 minutes I am guessing something very wrong and bad has gone on, and I really do not know how bad it has affected the system.

I am thinking I now need to re-install the whole OS again and start from scratch as I do not know what has been compromised! And I do not know enough about Linux to try and fix it!

I'll be avoiding yabridge in the future though! I was only installing on the off-chance I MIGHT use a windows plug - I am not going to risk it again.
You mean that you tried installing the yabridgectl AUR package, the compilation failed on an error message, and you tried compiling the same package six more times (each time resulting in the same error message)? I'm not quite sure what happened here. Can you post the compilation error? Your system is not compromised, you were just compiling a Rust application. My best guess is that you installed the wrong Rust toolchain in the process.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #108
JamesPeters

Your system is fine. Let it do its thing. The first time, as Robbert says, takes a few minutes. On my system it took longer than on his...maybe 5 minutes? I don't recall. It seemed like a long time. I have a Ryzen 7 3700X and I've disabled the super-turbo-boost-whatever (to keep the CPU fan from spinning up, and I don't need that extra power) so my max speed is 3.6 GHz.

You can always click that arrow on the bottom of the package manager (to the right) to see what's going on, by the way. It may not give much feedback while it's doing something other than show the last thing that it was starting to do. But that's probably enough to reassure you that your OS isn't "broken".

If you are saying it has taken a total of 15 minutes including all the times you cancelled it and started over (and presumably cancelling takes a minute or two, depending on what it's doing...it would have to walk back some stuff)...yeah, that's understandable. And yes if you cancel an operation involving bringing in multiple packages/dependencies, if you try again it'll just bring those in again. You're doing the same thing over and over lol.

But yeah the binary version of Yabridge, as Robbert mentioned, should be fine.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #109
pax-eterna

Quote:
You mean that you tried installing the yabridgectl AUR package, the compilation failed on an error message, and you tried compiling the same package six more times (each time resulting in the same error message)? I'm not quite sure what happened here. Can you post the compilation error? Your system is not compromised, you were just compiling a Rust application. My best guess is that you installed the wrong Rust toolchain in the process.
Yes I really had no choice with the rust, it would not proceed without selecting either one...which is the correct one? And as it is an automatic install thing...(I didn't manually choose anything, other than the rust option) - shouldn't there be an advice somehwere to say which one should be used, if there is a chance a wrong one will create these issues?

And no I did not manually compile anything multiple times, it was the installer doing it! I somehow managed to get a scrolling display of the processes going on which is how come I could see these things happening...in the end I canceled the install and closed pamac - it ws obviously in some sort of cycle.

All I did was search for yabridge in the pamac, found it and clicked on the down arrow on the right. That was it. I then just followed the instuctions as they appeared!
Old 07-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #110
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
.....If you are saying it has taken a total of 15 minutes including all the times you cancelled it and started over (and presumably cancelling takes a minute or two, depending on what it's doing...it would have to walk back some stuff)...yeah, that's understandable. And yes if you cancel an operation involving bringing in multiple packages/dependencies, if you try again it'll just bring those in again. You're doing the same thing over and over lol.

But yeah the binary version of Yabridge, as Robbert mentioned, should be fine.
Nope I didn't cancel it until the end - that 15+ minutes was ALL pamac! When I was seeing the same packages getting run (well it seemed they were the same, it did flash by pretty quicky) but I saw fatal error messages ad such zipping by as well. As I wrote in the previous, all I did was search and select yabridge in pamac check the down arrow at the right and that was it...the rest was the system!
Old 07-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #111
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Yes I really had no choice with the rust, it would not proceed without selecting either one...which is the correct one? And as it is an automatic install thing...(I didn't manually choose anything, other than the rust option) - shouldn't there be an advice somehwere to say which one should be used, if there is a chance a wrong one will create these issues?

And no I did not manually compile anything multiple times, it was the installer doing it! I somehow managed to get a scrolling display of the processes going on which is how come I could see these things happening...in the end I canceled the install and closed pamac - it ws obviously in some sort of cycle.

All I did was search for yabridge in the pamac, found it and clicked on the down arrow on the right. That was it. I then just followed the instuctions as they appeared!
The default `rust` package is indeed perfectly fine, especially if you don't use Rust yourself for development. I just tried it with the default stable toolchain, and yabridgectl does compile perfectly fine with that though (I normally use the nightly toolchain through rustup). Did you get any errors, or did you just cancel the installation because it was taking too long? I'd advise installing AUR packages from the command line with yay instead of using pamac. Yay is much more predictable. You can install yay through pamac (or by running `sudo pacman -S yay`), and you can then use `yay -S yabridge yabridgectl` to install yabridge. Or like I mentioned earlier, you can also just use `yay -S yabridge-bin` to avoid having to compile things entirely.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #112
Glennbo

For testing I installed Yabridge from the AUR but it didn't give me any prompts along the way. It took about five minutes on my machine, which is a 3700X Ryzen like James uses. The most time seemed to be spent on some supporting library from what I saw.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #113
pax-eterna

Thanks Robert, as I wrote, I could see the error messages in the scrolling text as things were happening.

The Fatal Error message (repeated several times) seemed to come after something called "Ninja"??

The Yabridgectl (the only one I noticed) tried to install several times, I know this because it was one of the error messages I saw so I kept watching the scrolling lines for it to repeat and it did, as I wrote several times.

It was after about 15 minutes I determined that something was going awry and I then terminated the whole process.

Now I do not know how many "orphan" lines are floating about in the sytem, or indeed how to remove fully all those packages and enure the system is back to where it was before all this began.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #114
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
For testing I installed Yabridge from the AUR but it didn't give me any prompts along the way. It took about five minutes on my machine, which is a 3700X Ryzen like James uses. The most time seemed to be spent on some supporting library from what I saw.
Mine is an intel i7 3500ghz processor (8 core) 16 gig ram system so plenty of juice!

I received several prompts, including the Rust prompt as mentioned above and several where I had to use the root password!
Old 07-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #115
pax-eterna

I'm happy to try again, but only after I can figure how to "clean" the system from all the detritus left by this exercise
Old 07-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #116
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Thanks Robert, as I wrote, I could see the error messages in the scrolling text as things were happening.

The Fatal Error message (repeated several times) seemed to come after something called "Ninja"??

The Yabridgectl (the only one I noticed) tried to install several times, I know this because it was one of the error messages I saw so I kept watching the scrolling lines for it to repeat and it did, as I wrote several times.

It was after about 15 minutes I determined that something was going awry and I then terminated the whole process.

Now I do not know how many "orphan" lines are floating about in the sytem, or indeed how to remove fully all those packages and enure the system is back to where it was before all this began.
If you can post any actual error messages, then I can tell you what went wrong! Ninja is the build system used by Meson, which yabridge uses to configure the build. I've never tried installing any AUR packages through pamac, but I'd assume it's not supposed to retry installing the same package in a loop. That sounds odd. Like I said, I'd recommend using yay over pamac for installing AUR packages just because it has way fewer surprises up its sleeve.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #117
Glennbo

Quote:
Mine is an intel i7 3500ghz processor (8 core) 16 gig ram system so plenty of juice!

I received several prompts, including the Rust prompt as mentioned above and several where I had to use the root password!
I've installed a couple things from the AUR before trying Yabridge, so I might have had some libraries already in place that your machine didn't have.

Just grab the file Robbert linked to. It has all of Yabridge already compiled and just needs to be unzipped to your .local/share folder to work. That's how I used it up until a minute ago when I built it through the AUR.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #118
Glennbo

Also, just to make sure, 3.5.0-1 is what I installed a minute ago.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-24-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #119
JamesPeters

Quote:

15 minutes does seem like too long a time, but I suppose your connection to the particular server (or if the server were slow) could factor into it. I've had things hang like that, and chose another mirror in the package manager.

It's doubtful that anything problematic was left behind in the process. The worst-case scenario is that it left behind some Yabridge files or some libraries/dependencies. Those libraries wouldn't affect anything. If anything else requires those files later, you'll already have them, and if they're incomplete you'll get an error message that you don't have the dependency (or you'll be able to figure that out fairly easily). If any Yabridge files are left, installing the pre-made version will probably overwrite them all anyway.

Anyway you can restart the computer and look in the package manager to see if it shows Yabridge installed at all. If it doesn't, it's almost certainly fine. Then after that, get the pre-made Yabridge (-bin) version, so it won't have to build.

I wonder if anything else was being done by Pamac. I just had a Manjaro update, a fairly large one (about 1 GB of files) including firmware, nvidia drivers, the kernel and so on. I assume that update is being pushed to everyone else too. Perhaps if Yabridge were being built against older dependencies before the update happened, it caused a glitch. Or if Yabridge was intended to be built with older libraries and the newer ones caused some incompatibility? (I'm throwing out guesses, but I figured I should mention it anyway.) So in that case, if you had an update running at the same time, it might've made the Yabridge build fail.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-23-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #120
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Also, just to make sure, this is what I installed a minute ago.

Yep 100% - that is exactly what I did - oh I did add the yabridgectl one as well