Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-05-2022, 04:57 AM   #1
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Default Can Reaper embed an artwork into an audiofile?

I know I can edit metadata and embed on render or in the batch converter and Reaper's metadata editor even has an option to chose an image file. I tried doing this by selecting the file path to an artwork but the new audio file doesn't show up with an image on macOS/iOS. Is there a way to do this directly within Reaper without needing a third party app or service?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
jrk

What format are you rendering to?
Old 01-05-2022, 06:29 AM   #3
Phazma

Wave 24bit.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

REAPER supports image embedding in ID3 and FLAC metadata. If you add an image to the render metadata, it will get embedded in .wav files as an ID3 chunk, but there are very few apps that will read a .wav ID3, because it's not a standard chunk. I'm not aware of a standard image embedding metadata format for .wav, although there are a number of proprietary ones.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
but there are very few apps that will read a .wav ID3, because it's not a standard chunk. I'm not aware of a standard image embedding metadata format for .wav, although there are a number of proprietary ones.
Thank you. I see the embedded "Front Cover" in MP3Tag when I examine a WAV from Reaper. But not in [other things] So it's down to the app the OP is using to look at the WAV?
Old 01-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #6
Phazma

Hmm, just for testing I switched the metadata dialog to the FLACPIC scheme, specify the image path and render a flac file. Still nothing.

It does only work for mp3. No wav, no flac, no aiff.

As of now I am just trying to have it show up on my own macOS/iOS devices, so on my Macbook it should show up as thumbnail on files, or when clicking "get info" and in Itunes or on my Iphone in the Music app.

Interestingly, I tested downloading tracks from Bandcamp in various formats, and the cover doesn't show for wav and flac files either, but it does show for aiff files. So there has to be a way to embed covers into aiff files at least. Would be nice if Reaper could embed them to aiff or any lossless format in a way that the Apple ecosystem (and possibly most others) recognize.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:19 PM   #7
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Thank you. I see the embedded "Front Cover" in MP3Tag when I examine a WAV from Reaper. But not in [other things] So it's down to the app the OP is using to look at the WAV?
It's not really due to the app, it's more so due to the .WAV format was defined before Metadata became a thing in audio files. So as a work around there is the ID3 chunk as Schwa mentions which is kind of a software hack to work around the original .WAV definition limitations where Metadata wasn't originally defined for the format. The problem is that it's one of those things since it wasn't developed as part of the original .WAV format, it's not going to be supported by a lot of apps.

Maybe try looking into using the Broadcast .Wav format instead. That was the follow up to the .Wav file format, where Metadata was adopted as part of that format definition to overcome the shortcomings of the original .Wav format. I haven't worked with a lot of the Broadcast Wave Format, but that's my current understanding of it.

I kind of just shifted over to the FLAC format since it is a lossless compression, which means smaller file sizes without losing quality, and it includes metadata and is supported by a large majority of apps that I use.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:50 AM   #8
borisssa

Well, actually my workaround is to use another software (freeware) to embedd a jpg in a flac. Unfortunately it is only for Windows OS but it works fine:

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Hmm, just for testing I switched the metadata dialog to the FLACPIC scheme, specify the image path and render a flac file. Still nothing.

It does only work for mp3. No wav, no flac, no aiff.

As of now I am just trying to have it show up on my own macOS/iOS devices, so on my Macbook it should show up as thumbnail on files, or when clicking "get info" and in Itunes or on my Iphone in the Music app.

Interestingly, I tested downloading tracks from Bandcamp in various formats, and the cover doesn't show for wav and flac files either, but it does show for aiff files. So there has to be a way to embed covers into aiff files at least. Would be nice if Reaper could embed them to aiff or any lossless format in a way that the Apple ecosystem (and possibly most others) recognize.
borisssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:57 AM   #9
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
If the App doesn't expect ID3 to happen in a WAV-file, it will not look for it.
ID3 has been designed mostly for MP3 as I think that most apps expect this to be in MP3s rather than other formats, even if you could add it.

Reaper is more powerful than most apps are out there in this regard.

So you can use a different format, like FLAC, whose standard allows adding images. That is probably more widely adopted in apps than ID3 in WAV.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote