Old 11-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #1
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Default Black Friday, anyone?

I just got an email from Waves saying their
Black Friday deal(s) started today!!!

About the only one I am keen not to miss is Native Instruments so I can upgrade to Kontakt 7, but I`m wondering if every damn one of the one-day deals are going to expand to a whole month....
Old 11-03-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
Softsynth

I will wait until they have 50% off Komplete summer sales for anything new from NI. They continue to lose their mojo for me. Sample packs.. snoring..
They need to up their game in Reaktor, but are they even interested, or will it go the way of Absynth?

Anyone with Gforce Oddity can upgrade to brand new version 3 for £30 (inc VAT) for a limited time. Also it's heavily discounted on intro offer for new users.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
MiddleC

Only thing Waves has that I want, I already got - the electric piano pack. I still have residual aversion to them from years ago. Probably no longer valid...

The ridiculous way VST companies market their stuff is very annoying. What's the price? What's the real price? Is it on sale 90% of the time, and only full price occasionally to give the illusion of savings? If I go to a third party can I get a better deal? If I pay the upgrade price from a lower-tier version, am I paying more than I would if I just found a sale?

I have some respect for companies like Modartt. If there's a sale of any kind, I know it's actually a discount.
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
Softsynth

All of these companies do way way way bigger business during their sales. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this also applies to them.
Modartt and Gforce however both clearly do not rely on sales time as most of the time they aren't in the sales.

Waves and IK though are in perpetual sales mode.

Arturia and NI the summer sales and Christmas half price sales are enormous for them. I consider those price shafted bundles the "real" prices
Old 11-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #5
SmoothOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
Only thing Waves has that I want, I already got - the electric piano pack. I still have residual aversion to them from years ago. Probably no longer valid...

The ridiculous way VST companies market their stuff is very annoying. What's the price? What's the real price? Is it on sale 90% of the time, and only full price occasionally to give the illusion of savings? If I go to a third party can I get a better deal? If I pay the upgrade price from a lower-tier version, am I paying more than I would if I just found a sale?

I have some respect for companies like Modartt. If there's a sale of any kind, I know it's actually a discount.
Kind of weird, but I actually kind of like the VST ads. Sure, they are ads, but I actually buy them on occasion, and don't really mind looking at the UIs. As opposed to 99% of the other ads which I find invasive push marketing. You know like those ads with people's bad teeth or bloating...

They do fill up my in box though. So far for plugin boutique, waves and NI, I have been fairly happy with the installers and software quality.

I could go for a number of Waves effects, but I am saving up for decent additive synth though.
SmoothOperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:40 AM   #6
ivansc

So it looks like I will be either waiting for the N.I. Xmas sale or waiting even longer for the summer one! I havent got anything else "out there" that may be showing up on Black Friday so far, but who knows? Ans once again, what IS the official Black Friday date again???
Old 11-04-2022, 06:09 AM   #7
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
..once again, what IS the official Black Friday date again???
You mean the ..erm.. Cyber Monday, Bionic Tuesday, Synthetic Wednesday, Cryogenic Thursday, Prosthetic Friday, Fusion Saturday, Necrosis Sunday etc.. roll into Winter sale and then January sale, Valentine's..
Old 11-04-2022, 07:20 AM   #8
jax

Yeah...

Attached Images
File Type: png image_2022-11-04_151908751.png (44.9 KB, 1760 views)
jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:41 AM   #9
MiddleC

Quote:
So it looks like I will be either waiting for the N.I. Xmas sale or waiting even longer for the summer one! I havent got anything else "out there" that may be showing up on Black Friday so far, but who knows? Ans once again, what IS the official Black Friday date again???
I don't know. Softube is releasing them all month in 3 day blocks apparently.

Sigh...
Old 11-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #10
Jordu7

Default Black friday: bass VSTi's

With the free and paid plugins I have, I automatically signed up to many companies. I usually get about 10 emails a day (into an email account set up for this) with "special" offers and Waves is on the forefront of that. Is there even the chance to get anything from them at full price? ;-)

@ivansc: Do you think Kontakt 7 is a major step forward and worth to get it as soon as possible?

This year I'm looking on a good deal on an electric bass VSTi with slapping (think Marcus Miller) and a realistic upright acoustic bass for jazz.

I already looked at UVI Soul bass (electric; pretty new), AMPLE SOUND BASS UPRIGHT and UJAM Virtual Bassist – Mellow (acoustic).
Or should I go for Spectrasonics Trilian (many basses, including acoustic ones).

Any suggestions from any of you (I would appreciate your opinions)?
Old 11-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #11
GaryG

One little bargain I found in the NI sales: Have a look on somehwere like Knobcloud or KvR for a cheap Replika license (people often selling them for $4/$5) then wait for NI do their half price upgrades again. Then you can get the Replika XT upgrade for ~£/$12. So the full Replika XT for less than $20. I did that and think I payed a total of £16.
GaryG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:18 AM   #12
ivansc

Jordu7: Not super cheap unless its "on sale" but I use, recommend & beta test EZbass, has a great set of basses but you do have to buy them specifically if you need more than the ones that come with the basic EZBass program. Check it out.

Equally Mondo Bass from IKMM is pretty decent & they have a free trial version, which I also have but seldom use. The free version is pretty limited but worth trying to see if the paid one would be a fit for you.

None of the ones previously mentioned on this thread really caught my ear, although I did use Ample Bass for a little while before EZB & Monod Bass came out.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:45 AM   #13
Stephane Morisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordu7 View Post
@ivansc: Do you think Kontakt 7 is a major step forward and worth to get it as soon as possible?

?
I read bad reviews about Kontakt 7. The shitty small UI is still the same, they globally just added some content, but some useful instruments still lack...
Stephane Morisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:48 AM   #14
Jordu7

Default Black friday: bass VSTi's

@ivansc: Thanks for your thoughts. I actually checked out the IKMM ModoBass free version yesterday. Not bad for free.
The UJAM basses have a 30 day trial period. I guess, I look into them.
EZbass. I heard of that, but did not really check it out. Will do.

I already have the NI Scarbee Rickenbacker as part of Komplete 13. I like it, but no slapping. NI has also a slap bass, Scarbee Jay Bass which I will also look into.

My major use for the VSTi's is to use them in backing tracks, usually MIDI exported from Musescore or other MIDI tracks. I don't play keyboard, thus I look for something straightforward to use in terms of realistic sounds and articulations.

EDIT:
I just checked out EZbass. Great sound and many useful workflows. Looks like a very versatile bass DAW to easily program articulations. Since there's an upright bass addon, I think I go for this and hope for a good deal on black friday!

Last edited by Jordu7; 11-05-2022 at 09:00 AM. Reason: addition
Jordu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #15
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane Morisse View Post
I read bad reviews about Kontakt 7. The shitty small UI is still the same, they globally just added some content, but some useful instruments still lack...
I wouldn't need the older instruments picture graphics to scale. They can stay small for backwards compatibility, but all the rest could scale if NI put in the effort I believe. So even less of a rush to upgrade seeing this.

Oh dear:
https://community.native-instruments...t-7-is-here/p2

Last edited by Softsynth; 11-05-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #16
timothys_monster

Default Black Rooster "Black Autumn Sale"

This one might be interesting for people who hadn't had the chance to get their hands on pretty well emulated classics of analogue hardware units:

https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/lan...lackAutumn2022

I just got the email saying that you can get an additional 10% off using the code EXTRA10
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:33 PM   #17
Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
This one might be interesting for people who hadn't had the chance to get their hands on pretty well emulated classics of analogue hardware units:

https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/lan...lackAutumn2022

I just got the email saying that you can get an additional 10% off using the code EXTRA10
$99 gets you all 22 of their plugins 😯
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:13 AM   #18
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
$99 gets you all 22 of their plugins 😯
that's a great deal. I have some of their plugins and they're very good.

@<$5 per plugin that's crazy good

M
Old 11-07-2022, 04:26 AM   #19
airon

Blackroosteraudio plugins are great. Plus, you can easily test them as well.

I'm waiting to see if Oeksound Soothe 2 is on discount this Black Friday. I need almost nothing else, though who the hell knows what'll be up for grabs.

Maybe Klanghelm will release a new plugin. People might think it'll cost $200 outside of Black Friday with his prices.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:45 AM   #20
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I wouldn't need the older instruments picture graphics to scale. They can stay small for backwards compatibility, but all the rest could scale if NI put in the effort I believe. So even less of a rush to upgrade seeing this.

Oh dear:
https://community.native-instruments...t-7-is-here/p2
Yep agreed.
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #21
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
All of these companies do way way way bigger business during their sales. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this also applies to them.
Modartt and Gforce however both clearly do not rely on sales time as most of the time they aren't in the sales.

Waves and IK though are in perpetual sales mode.

Arturia and NI the summer sales and Christmas half price sales are enormous for them. I consider those price shafted bundles the "real" prices
It's mental.

Plugin developers have two major customer groups on opposite ends of the spectrum: studio professionals who can happily pay $200 for a compressor and hobbyists/home recordists who want the same stuff but won't pay that. Having constant sales allows a pricing model that is acceptable to both groups.

Previously hobbyists would either pony up or use cheaper plugins because they were really a different customer group with their own plugin ecosystem. But what has happened is that the recording revolution blurred the lines between pro and non-pro with the largest group now actually being semi-professionals recording from home, prosumers and happy enthusiasts and hobbyists alike. Because the market is now much bigger prices should come down to what customers are prepared to pay; which is the sales prices.

So the $200 price point is not really valid for regular plugins anymore but the developers don't want to change if they can try to have it both ways for a little longer.

My two cents.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #22
airon

I'm somewhere in the middle.

For the tools I use all day, every day, I'll pay a good price if need be. That was the case with Izotope RX Advcanced, Fabfilter, Voxengo, Exponential Audio and Acon Digital for example, and it will likely be the case for Oeksound Soothe.

On the other hand, I've mixed entire shows with inexpensive compressors such as Rocket and MJUC. I'm most often paying for time savers, which is what the first category is.

Sound Toys may have an interface that isn't scalable(yet?) but they incorporate so many use cases and creative possiblities that enough people have paid the price. I got in on the cheap though :P with their freebies and a great upgrade deal.

That said, 30$/€ for a plugin is kinda the new normal for Waves, PA and so on, yet I'm still very grateful for Valhallas $50 price tag and amazed at those of Klanghelms. Then there's Babyaudio, Denise and so many other really good smaller devs. It's going to be a good Black Friday again. Saved up a few pennies for it .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #23
timothys_monster

Audio Assault have some good deals right now, although they were never expensive anyway...

https://audioassault.mx/collections/plugins
Old 11-08-2022, 05:26 AM   #24
Geoff-h3o

November 25th
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:48 AM   #25
tompad

Quote:
About the only one I am keen not to miss is Native Instruments so I can upgrade to Kontakt 7, but I`m wondering if every damn one of the one-day deals are going to expand to a whole month....
Be sure your graphic card can handle Kontakt 7!
I upgraded and found out I needed a "better" graphic card.
I am not sure about what in the upgrade demanded a new one,
but probably only the new browser, the rest of Kontakt
was a lot like Kontakt 6 that worked with my graphic card.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:42 AM   #26
MiddleC

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Audio Assault have some good deals right now, although they were never expensive anyway...

https://audioassault.mx/collections/plugins
Okay, I had to look when I saw Blacksun was free. And, first impressions... it doesn't necessarily do anything that the mountains of other stuff I've got doesn't... but out of the gate, without a single adjustment - I like it.

In fact, I like it enough that I'll probably pick up a few others during this sale. Especially at such sweet pricing.

Last edited by MiddleC; 11-09-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #27
timothys_monster

Yeah, there are way too many guitar amp sims out there. I have been a happy user of their effects, actually. XCTR and MultiTransient are very useful and well thought-of tools!
Old 11-10-2022, 07:29 AM   #28
ivansc

Disappointment... slight but there anyway, as I got an email saying I had a great upgrade deal at *only* $89.00, which is roughly double what I have paid for upgrades on Kontakt for years.

I`ll be using the Player & keeping my fingers crossed that the summer sale is more like the earlier ones.
Havent seen anything else that took my fancy so far, but I do have way too many plugins already.....
Old 11-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #29
MiddleC

So I did buy some of the Audio Assault plugs. I just grabbed until I hit $50 and I ended up with:

Classic Pack
The Crown
Duality Bass Studio
Klank
Bass Cab V1

So far, I'm finding they're well behaved. Defaults to huge buffers when installed, but no glitches at 32. They're heavily weighted towards high gain (now "Assault" makes sense). Presets are sparse, but that's fine. These are an extremely good value, priced easily in "impulse buy" territory.

So far, so good. I'm having some fun.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #30
hwhalen

Default VocalSynth 2

I broke down and bought IZOTOPE's VocalSynth 2 thru Plugin Boutique for $39 US,
cause I can't sing and I'm hoping I can at least do some effect laced vocal sh!t;-)

Got Melda's MReverbMB for free as a gift.

Not sooo bad as I have Light Plug Lust

Of course it'll end up costing me $60 CDN!
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:41 PM   #31
kod

IK Multimedia Total MAX 3.5 is tempting me AF. 199€ plus tax for the whole IK lineup. I'm about to break! Anyone has an opinion that could persuade me from having way too many things I don't really need?
kod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #32
Softsynth

Quote:
Disappointment... slight but there anyway, as I got an email saying I had a great upgrade deal at *only* $89.00, which is roughly double what I have paid for upgrades on Kontakt for years.

I`ll be using the Player & keeping my fingers crossed that the summer sale is more like the earlier ones.
Havent seen anything else that took my fancy so far, but I do have way too many plugins already.....
I'm not bothering until maybe it's half that- say in their summer sales - even then I will look to see if it is worthwhile. The Kontakt stuff I actually use doesn't even need Kontakt 6 yet.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:57 PM   #33
Hindu Stan

Re IK Multimedia Total MAX 3.5 I am sorely tempted too. Then the other day it went off sale and the price jumped to $12,000! I only really want the B3X and I think I'll put it onto an external drive as I believe it will gobble up all disk space
Hindu Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #34
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindu Stan View Post
Re IK Multimedia Total MAX 3.5 I am sorely tempted too. Then the other day it went off sale and the price jumped to $12,000! I only really want the B3X and I think I'll put it onto an external drive as I believe it will gobble up all disk space
Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
IK Multimedia Total MAX 3.5 is tempting me AF. 199€ plus tax for the whole IK lineup. I'm about to break! Anyone has an opinion that could persuade me from having way too many things I don't really need?
I was tempted but did not get it. Lots of good stuff in there but I think I have everything from some other vendor in some form. Buying new software can often be a devious kind of procrastination.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:22 PM   #35
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
I broke down and bought IZOTOPE's VocalSynth 2 thru Plugin Boutique for $39 US,
cause I can't sing and I'm hoping I can at least do some effect laced vocal sh!t;-)
Can you carry a tune? Because if so, you can learn how to sing properly with a vocal coach… hell with YouTube you can probably teach yourself. If you CANT carry a tune, then it’s way harder to learn since that’s a part of your brain that didn’t develop in childhood.
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:55 PM   #36
MiddleC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindu Stan View Post
I believe it takes about 500MB.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #37
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
you can learn how to sing properly with a vocal coach
I bet a good vocal coach charges more than $39.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:27 PM   #38
mks

Just curious if anyone remembers how teh current NI Komplete sale compares to the Sumemr sales they have? Looking back on my last summer upgrade, it seems the prices are very similar to that at the moment...
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #39
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
I bet a good vocal coach charges more than $39.
Good point
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:04 AM   #40
MiddleC

Anybody know if EZ Drummer ever goes on sale? Some of their Addons do...