Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would this feature benefit you?
Yes! Please implement it! 2 66.67%
No. I don't need it. 0 0%
Fish. (No opinion.) 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2022, 03:43 PM   #1
sychron
Human being with feelings

Default Option to limit Ripple Edit scope to current Region

* Request
When editing large projects like soundtrack composing, audio dramas or movie post production, it would be very helpful to be able to limit the ripple editing scope to one scene or other part of the project.

* Benefit
Ripple editing is a powerful tool, but it also has the power to completely destroy content following after the scene you are currently working on by moving around single tracks.
Having a secondary toggle to limit ripple editing to the region the edit cursor is in would be a great help to move around items across hundreds of tracks while making sure not to move items outside the current scope.

* Reason
With normal ripple edit, you have to choose wisely whether to use ripple edit or whether it's better to just select items and move them "by hand" in order to protect following scenes. As complex projects can easily go up to 300+ tracks, this is tedious work.

* Implementation Suggestion
I suggest an implementation as a toggle-able option, default state: off, so it can be toggled in the menu if needed, and users can add it to their toolbars or add hotkeys as they wish.
Default state off ensures the normal ripple edit behaviour is preserved for everyone used to it, and the new feature has to be toggled on deliberately.
sychron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:52 AM   #2
X-Raym

A workarround could be to use some locked items cause they are settings to stop ripple at locked items. Maybe at each region start could work. Or lock everthing behind the current region.
(note: this will not work for markers though)

Last edited by X-Raym; 11-24-2022 at 04:52 AM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:44 AM   #3
airon

Good idea for game audio folks as well, or at least when they setup a sound design session like I did. I ran about 30 regions in my last project for each projectile type in an old-school zelda-type game.

If this were a region option, I'd turn this on by default, but a global switch sounds simpler to me.

+1
airon is offline   Reply With Quote