Old 11-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #1
-mjk-
Human being with feelings

Default Direct Hardware Audio Send To Track

Hello. First post in this forum.

I mix with a console and do not use the Master Bus or many features of Reaper as a result. I do use folders and also internal sends in Reaper where appropriate so its more of a hybrid mixing configuration. Dante is my interface and with the RedNet PCI-e card, I enjoy a latency of somewhere in the 20 samples range. So, I can easily use a Dante channel as an FX send from an FX bus in my console into Reaper with no discernible impact on the signal due to latency.

Creating an FX track in Reaper is easy. However, the only way that I can find to feed audio to this track (which sends hardware outputs back to my console for mixing) is to put the track in Record Arm and use one of the inputs available for recording, which has been set up for that purpose.

My question is: Am I missing an obvious way to send hardware audio to this FX track without having to record it? I do not need a waveform visible on that track and I do not need to have audio recorded on that track. I use console mixing automation (X32ReaperAutoMate) and I run real-time mixes with moving faders, etc., so each time I run a mixdown the console sends those signals from the console FX bus and I'm not using a recorded version of the FX track and I am not rendering mixes, I am recording mixes.

I think the answer is that I have to use a record input and that is OK. I just want to make sure that I am not missing a way to send hardware audio to a track without having to record it.

Thanks.

Last edited by -mjk-; 11-23-2022 at 07:41 PM.
-mjk- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:53 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

I’m a little unclear what you’re actually doing with that track, but I’m not sure it matters.

1) You can set an armed track to “record:none, but

B) I feel like you actually want ReaInsert
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:35 AM   #3
-mjk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I’m a little unclear what you’re actually doing with that track, but I’m not sure it matters.

1) You can set an armed track to “record:none, but

B) I feel like you actually want ReaInsert
Thanks for your reply. I'm making a hardware FX bus, more or less. I have (for example) a reverb plugin on that track and I'm sending it a signal from my console via a Dante channel into Reaper. I can record it, but I don't actually need to record it. I just need to hear it. Internally, Reaper can send a track to a track and hear it without being in record mode, but I don't seem to be able to do that with hardware.

Will record:none pass audio?

I have tried ReaInsert, unsuccessfully. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be be any way to get audio into a track from the outside world unless you are in Record mode. It is my hope that I am wrong!
Old 11-24-2022, 07:10 AM   #4
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mjk- View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm making a hardware FX bus, more or less. I have (for example) a reverb plugin on that track and I'm sending it a signal from my console via a Dante channel into Reaper. I can record it, but I don't actually need to record it. I just need to hear it. Internally, Reaper can send a track to a track and hear it without being in record mode, but I don't seem to be able to do that with hardware.

Will record:none pass audio?

I have tried ReaInsert, unsuccessfully. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be be any way to get audio into a track from the outside world unless you are in Record mode. It is my hope that I am wrong!
Either through the input with rec enbled (and record disabled, only input monitoring) or Reainsert where you choose the appropriate inputs on the returns of the ReaInsert.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:52 PM   #5
-mjk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Either through the input with rec enbled (and record disabled, only input monitoring) or Reainsert where you choose the appropriate inputs on the returns of the ReaInsert.
Thank you. I appreciate this information. Even just input monitoring and not recording will work. ReaInsert seemed to work backwards from what I needed but I will take another look at it.

Update: even with Dante as the interface, using ReaInsert for a hardware send to the track is way too latent to be used for this purpose. But the Record Monitor-Only functions works perfectly. Frankly I am surprised by the latency difference between what are essentially identical input paths. Apparently the ReaInsert plugin introduces significant latency. I'll have to decide if adding additional compensation for that plugin makes it worthwhile in the end. I'll have to spend some time experimenting with it. For now however, the current setup works and it works very well. Thanks @ashcat_lt and @mlprod for your suggestions.

The result is that I have a full 32 mono tracks for mixing on my consoles with an additional track, #33 that I can use for FX. Track #33 returns to my console on 2 Dante channels (stereo) and into 2 Aux inputs, stereo linked. After I get a larger Dante audio converter I can add many more such FX tracks to Reaper and have full automation control of them in the console.

Last edited by -mjk-; 11-25-2022 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Update On Suggested Solutions
-mjk- is offline   Reply With Quote