Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
HighSense
Human being with feelings

Default extend Midi-Item without time stretching?

Hi folks,

how can I extend a Midi-Item without time stretching it? Time stretching with Alt-Key and drag the mouse is easy, but this function I not use often. Is there a simple way to extend an item witch mousedrag without switching off the loop-source in item-properties every time I want to extend?
HighSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
jrengmusic

You can turn off loop source as default for MIDI item on Prefs - Media item default
Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #3
artisticspider

The reply here didn't really take care of the problem. I'm also having this issue, and I know that I had it set up before somehow, but after reinstalling, I'm not sure how it was done. Basically, Alt+Drag on an item was able to extend the media item without changing the playback rate. That's all I want. I literally never use the playback rate changing feature and just want it off.

I used to be able to be in a MIDI item for example, and if I needed to add room for more notes, I could grab the "loop marker" (or is it "stretch marker"?) and pull it to the right, and it would extend the media item. Right now it just moves all of my previous inserted media all over the place and stretches it weirdly and also creates loops that seem to have no rhyme or reason to why they are looped how they are looped seeing how they don't follow what the media item looked like initially. Not really helpful after having taken the time to place all of the notes in particular areas.

I just need something like: Click+Drag media item edge for loop, Alt+Click+Drag for extend. Or reverse. Either way works. Just no "stretch"/"Playrate change" stuff.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Last edited by artisticspider; 06-27-2018 at 12:44 AM.
artisticspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:21 AM   #4
juliansader

Quote:
I'm also having this issue, and I know that I had it set up before somehow, but after reinstalling, I'm not sure how it was done. Basically, Alt+Drag on an item was able to extend the media item without changing the playback rate. That's all I want. I literally never use the playback rate changing feature and just want it off.
If you go to Preferences -> Mouse modifiers -> Context: Media item edge: left drag, you can change the Alt+leftdrag behavior.

Quote:
I just need something like: Click+Drag media item edge for loop, Alt+Click+Drag for extend. Or reverse. Either way works. Just no "stretch"/"Playrate change" stuff.
I don't think mouse modifiers can automatically switch between looping and extending. AFAIK you have to go to item settings to do this.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
Lokasenna

You can also do it from inside the MIDI editor - when you mouse over the end of the content, there are actually two separate "handles" you can grab.

- Grabbing from just outside the content extends it just like extending the item - looping, etc.
- Grabbing from just inside the content adjusts the loop point, and extends the content if you drag to the right.

Edit: I just realized that this applies to the inline editor as well (select a MIDI item and press E, by default) - you can see a bar for the loop point at the end, and dragging that rather than the item itself will extend the content.