Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #41
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
It's hard to do anything drastic to an american down to earth country rock song

This is more idea's than quality

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24864362/Jeff.mp3
Wow... speeded up a bit? haha! Cool! Thanks!!!!!
Old 05-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #42
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy V View Post
Hang on Jeff ... I ain't finished yet, got band practice and all this weekend so prolly cain't get an mp3 till Tuesday or Weds .... so far using gain automation and only JS & Reaplugs, so that I can send you an .rpp file and all you need to do is pop your stems into the project folder, Reaper will take care of the rest.

Worked on the vocals tonight and got a nice 'barbershop' thing going with the background harmonies ... worked on guitar balance also. Looking for that nasty slide sound a-la Duane Allman and/or George Harrison "How Do You Sleep" ... thought it would be fitting for the lyrical content Having some trouble with bass and drums (always do !!!) ... getting them to 'pop' as it were. Also did some accent stuff with the bass/drums via cut-n-paste in order to enhance dynamics of the song, but otherwise pretty much leaving the original arrangement intact ... hope ya don't mind.

Tommy V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I got updates, I'll post em tonight cuz I gotta go to work now
No problem, guys. I'm in no hurry.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #43
Fergler

Final mix from me:

http://picosong.com/jKug/
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #44
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Final mix from me:

http://picosong.com/jKug/
Got it! Sounds good!!! This is going to be a close one...
Old 05-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #45
donchilcott

Default Great

I know you are looking for remixes but I'm going to suggest if you have any song placement connections, use them. If the right major artist did this song you stand to make lots of $. I have several friends who bought houses selling one hit song... Then go write 20 more... The slide guitar , lyrics and BU make this song very catchy . Just my 2c. Don
Reaper, Intel i7 machine with 24 gigs of ram, Win 7 , M-Audio FW 410, Alesis i02, i7 Laptop w Win 8.1, Fender Concert 2, Bugera V22, Fender Showman(Red Knob) Ibanez Artist335, Strat, Ibanez Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton, ETC
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #46
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by donchilcott View Post
I know you are looking for remixes but I'm going to suggest if you have any song placement connections, use them. If the right major artist did this song you stand to make lots of $. I have several friends who bought houses selling one hit song... Then go write 20 more... The slide guitar , lyrics and BU make this song very catchy . Just my 2c. Don
Really? I am a member of Audiosparx and have a few songs there. Maybe I'll pop this one in there as well once this is over.

Thanks! Appreciate it much!
Old 05-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #47
donchilcott

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Really? I am a member of Audiosparx and have a few songs there. Maybe I'll pop this one in there as well once this is over.

Thanks! Appreciate it much!
I worked at Westwood Music (L A) in the 80s. My co-worker wrote "rise" Mega Herb Albert Hit. Changed his life... I'm worried someone could rip off your song. I got stories about that too. Submit that song but make sure you protect your work. I'm serious, do it sooner rather than later.
I lost touch with Andy after he wrote that song, he no longer worked at the music store...
Reaper, Intel i7 machine with 24 gigs of ram, Win 7 , M-Audio FW 410, Alesis i02, i7 Laptop w Win 8.1, Fender Concert 2, Bugera V22, Fender Showman(Red Knob) Ibanez Artist335, Strat, Ibanez Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton, ETC
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #48
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by donchilcott View Post
I worked at Westwood Music (L A) in the 80s. My co-worker wrote "rise" Mega Herb Albert Hit. Changed his life... I'm worried someone could rip off your song. I got stories about that too. Submit that song but make sure you protect your work. I'm serious, do it sooner rather than later.
I lost touch with Andy after he wrote that song, he no longer worked at the music store...
This song has been copyrighted with the LOC for many years now as well as registered in my BMI account. I don't have any 'contacts' in the music biz who could possibly get this to someone though. Wish I did, but then... so does every other songwriter in the world. haha

Thanks for the advice and the kind words, Don! Much appreciated!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #49
Jeffsounds

So, are we about through? Any more tweaks or fixes? New additions? I'm thinking to let it go through the end of the week and if nothing else comes along, I'll start giving some info on what has been submitted on Monday.

Sound good?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #50
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
So, are we about through? Any more tweaks or fixes? New additions? I'm thinking to let it go through the end of the week and if nothing else comes along, I'll start giving some info on what has been submitted on Monday.

Sound good?
mine could be louder since it sounds puny compared to the others, but you can do that if you cared to. There's no limiting presently, just "peak catching" in which there really are none.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #51
Fictional Substance

Let 'er rip.
Fictional Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #52
richie43

...latecomer to the party.....
I just downloaded the stems, I'd like to have a shot at this...I have a day free today.....

lol
Old 06-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #53
rightonthemark

sorry i completely forgot about this. i got busy with some other projects.
just downloaded the stems.
i noticed the drums are just a stereo track...?...no seps (snare, kick, OHs)?

thanks...

rotm
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #54
VinodXAgent

Had some fun! Nice drums that deserve more than a submix. But hey, what shall i say. One Monitor speaker in repair, so this mix is mono-compatible for sure.
Vinod
Greetings from Hamburg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aofbtq29tf...Drain.mp3?dl=0
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #55
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
...latecomer to the party.....
I just downloaded the stems, I'd like to have a shot at this...I have a day free today.....

lol
No problem, Richie. You're good through Sunday at midnight Eastern time
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightonthemark View Post
sorry i completely forgot about this. i got busy with some other projects.
just downloaded the stems.

thanks...

rotm
Sorry. Only the stereo track is available.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #56
richie43

Quote:
Yeah, it is what it is...too bad for the mix, really.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #57
Jeffsounds

OK, due to popular request, I've decided to go until Sunday at midnight Eastern time. All mixes must be posted no later than that (but I'll probably let some slide if they're a bit late).

I will take a day or two to give them all a listen and compile some notes and we'll go from there.

Thank to everybody participating! I really appreciate your efforts and all the mixes that I've received so far!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #58
foxAsteria

I can hear how I'd want the mix, but doubt I could achieve it with only 3 tracks. You don't have any more stems than that?
Old 06-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #59
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I can hear how I'd want the mix, but doubt I could achieve it with only 3 tracks. You don't have any more stems than that?
The guitar zip and the vocal zip are multiple stems. Download them and find out! Only the drums zip file is one stem.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #60
rightonthemark

okay. here's my shot at it.

Down The Drain (rotm mix)

once again i have to say i like the tune.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #61
Fergler

The drums are great even as just a stereo bus and the style of playing and tempo make slip editing easy as evidenced in my mix. I just did M/S EQ and some NY compression on my drum track and it turned out fine.

Treating the drumkit as separate instruments is not always necessary. The kick drum occupies a range that few other instruments can have but other than that everything falls within the normal range so a good recording, stereo, mono, w/e, is still a good recording. I do prefer to at least have the kick drum separate but this mix presented no issues and if it did I could have used a trigger to generate inaudible kick drums samples for side chain use.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #62
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
The guitar zip and the vocal zip are multiple stems. Download them and find out! Only the drums zip file is one stem.
ok, but that's the one that counts (for me) and the one i checked...well o well.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #63
rightonthemark

it was a quck headphone mix. after listening in the car i still have some work to do.

Quote:
okay. here's my shot at it.

Down The Drain (rotm mix)

once again i have to say i like the tune.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #64
Lawrence

This is - miles - away from my wheelhouse as it were, having no real frame of reference for rock and distorted guitars, but I gave it shot anyway. I also left a relative tons of automation on the table, especially the talking part at the end which needs to be split away and processed separately.

Might have done more harm than good.

http://theaudiocave.com/mixes/downthedrain.mp3

Edit: I went and listened to some of the mixes while I was uploading. One observation and one question.

Observation: All the guitars sound better than mine, to me.

Question: Do you guys always use that much compression? I can hear pumping or compression in all the mixes I listened to. No idea if it's compression or limiting or both, but I intentionally didn't limit mine that much because it started to sound obviously worse when I did (as if it needed help). That sound of a compressor or limiter working is something I can always easily hear, and I never like hearing it, mmv as usual.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-02-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #65
Jeffsounds

Thanks, RightOnTheMark! Thanks, Lawrence! Got 'em. If you end up doing any tweaks or fixes, make sure you post them with that noted so I can replace your original contribution.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #66
Dr Bob

HI Jeff,

Quick look here ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._The_Drain.wav

Done a little more tweaking since this one - not rendered yet ...

I've added a little verb to the slides. I did have them going to a guitar verb buss, but a slightly different treatment might help.

Need to rework the bit when the backvoc "ooh" come in ... the lead voc can get lost there.

No automation done anywhere at all as yet ... any thoughts, guidance?

Cheers,

Rob (aka dB, DoctorBob)
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #67
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
This is - miles - away from my wheelhouse as it were, having no real frame of reference for rock and distorted guitars, but I gave it shot anyway. I also left a relative tons of automation on the table, especially the talking part at the end which needs to be split away and processed separately.

Might have done more harm than good.

http://theaudiocave.com/mixes/downthedrain.mp3

Edit: I went and listened to some of the mixes while I was uploading. One observation and one question.

Observation: All the guitars sound better than mine, to me.

Question: Do you guys always use that much compression? I can hear pumping or compression in all the mixes I listened to. No idea if it's compression or limiting or both, but I intentionally didn't limit mine that much because it started to sound obviously worse when I did (as if it needed help). That sound of a compressor or limiter working is something I can always easily hear, and I never like hearing it, mmv as usual.
If you heard mine, I'm not sure what you were hearing because I'm a proud compression wimp. But you know what you're talking about, so it's got me curious. I see we're one mind about the limiting thing, though.

I can barely hear the bass guitar in your version, almost to the point I thought you didn't use it at first. The kick is phenomenal though. How'd you do that from just a stereo stem?

PS wouldn't mixing electric guitars--or anything--be just a matter of making it fit a mix? Why would one need a specific reference unless the aim was to specifically change the sound? For instance, I don't know a thing about mixing orchestration, but I think I could mix a fair job just from, well..., mixing.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #68
Lawrence

I only listened to a few and that wasn't meant as a criticism, sorry if it came off that way. But yeah, I could hear limiting in those I played (i don't think yours was one I played) and my general impression was "loudness wars", that the impulse to make it "loud" is maybe a bit too strong.

I'm in the camp of "let the ME do loud', just do good", as good as I can anyway.

However, my submission obviously has multiple issues as well, for sure. The distorted rock guitar thing just screws with my sensibilities when mixing. Mostly because I don't listen to that kind of music (at all) and have almost no experience mixing it, and would most often turn down that kind of work, refer it somewhere else, for the benefit of the artist. Better to help them get happy than just take their money, that's what people remember, doing the right thing.

Re: The drums in those stems. They didn't do much for me (the recording, not the playing) so I supplemented the Kick and Snare with Addictive drums. I severely bandpassed the drum track and bounced it out twice, to extract the kick and snare transients from it.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #69
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
PS wouldn't mixing electric guitars--or anything--be just a matter of making it fit a mix? Why would one need a specific reference unless the aim was to specifically change the sound? For instance, I don't know a thing about mixing orchestration, but I think I could mix a fair job just from, well..., mixing.
It might help to know what good hard rock distorted guitars - should - sound like, and you can't really know that if you don't or haven't listened to many of them.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-03-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #70
sammydix

No prob whether it was a criticism or not because I completely agree with you about not caring for that over compressed "sound" (and I'm speaking completely generally, not anyone's specific mix). That's why I was concerned. But when you said, "...and my general impression was "loudness wars"..." Then I knew you definitely didn't hear mine.

I totally feel you concerning the 'distorted rock guitar thing.' I would be the exact same way if asked to mix EDM. I just can't take it. So I didn't really think before asking.

AD is also my drums of choice. Thanks for the kick tip!

Last edited by sammydix; 06-03-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #71
Lawrence

Quote:
AD is also my drums of choice. Thanks for the kick tip!
No problem. It's always easier for the kick than the snare, to isolate a good band to get transients from a stereo drum track because (obviously) there's a lot less going on down there in the low end. Finding a good bandpass frequency for the snare transient is often tricker, depending on how loud and busy some of the other stuff in the drum mix is and how dynamic the snare is.

But yeah, just EQ out everything but a big narrow boost and render that and detect transients from that for the midi kick or snare. You might have to edit a few strays but it works welll enough.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-03-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #72
Dr Bob

Here's a link to a 320k mp3 in case you don't want to dlthe wav!!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._The_Drain.mp3

Enjoy

Rob.
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #73
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
No problem. It's always easier for the kick than the snare, to isolate a good band to get transients from a stereo drum track because (obviously) there's a lot less going on down there in the low end. Finding a good bandpass frequency for the snare transient is often tricker, depending on how loud and busy some of the other stuff in the drum mix is and how dynamic the snare is.

But yeah, just EQ out everything but a big narrow boost and render that and detect transients from that for the midi kick or snare. You might have to edit a few strays but it works welll enough.
trying it now. thanks.
sorry Jeff, back to you!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #74
flickervetigo

that remark at the end of the song invalidates it

if the system was not scared of the people, they wouldn't be implementing all these procedures to demoralize, confuse and control us

Last edited by flickervetigo; 06-03-2015 at 03:03 PM.
flickervetigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #75
flickervetigo

i'm not very smart, but there's a doggedness to my mind

it worries a situation until that situation makes sense
flickervetigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #76
rightonthemark

here's a remix.
not a lot different from the previous mix just a few little tweaks.
thanks for letting us have fun mixing your tune.

Down The Drain (remix)

rotm
Old 06-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #77
rightonthemark

i think i made it worse.
i got the talking part at the end to come thru better but the chorus and bridge vocals are buried now.
sigh...still got work to do.
probably gonna take too long to be part of the mix contest but I wanna take the time to do a good mix.
thanks again

Quote:
here's a remix.
not a lot different from the previous mix just a few little tweaks.
thanks for letting us have fun mixing your tune.

Down The Drain (remix)

rotm
Old 06-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #78
SonicAxiom

entering a little late, just got aware of this contest and had some fun for sure messing with the stems - groovy tune! Have done quite a bit of nudging of drum hits ;-)

http://www.audioworld.de/data/JeffSo...2015-06-04.mp3
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #79
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
entering a little late, just got aware of this contest and had some fun for sure messing with the stems - groovy tune! Have done quite a bit of nudging of drum hits ;-)

http://www.audioworld.de/data/JeffSo...2015-06-04.mp3
Got it, thanks for participating! What does AW-Mix mean? Just curious...
Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #80
Jeffsounds

Quote:
trying it now. thanks.
sorry Jeff, back to you!
Not a problem, Sammy. You're talking about the mix and the song so it works.