Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Jazzooka
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper does not render to same hard drive

Hi,

The weirdest just happened while trying to export a render out of Reaper.

This is on a fairly new 7200rpm 1TB WD Caviar Blue, with working Protools sessions, Logic, Ableton and Reaper.

Mac Pro 5,1 - 12core 3.33GHz - 20GB Ram - OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 - MH ULN-8

Reaper refuses to render to that same drive where today's session is on.

Tried in :
- different folders
- different names

It displays this message (attached in picture) :

"Render status : the target drive/path does not exist, is unavailable, or is in use."

I have no applications running in the background (except for Avid manager, but has been so for long, MIO Console and UAD-Meter)

Looks like a bug, never ever experienced this, after hundreds and hundreds of renders, but before submitting it wanted to know if anybody came across this?

Thanks

Nico
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 19.47.15.png (8.5 KB, 405 views)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Xenakios

Not enough space on disk?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Jazzooka

580 GB Free

Tried again, still no go

I succeeded in rendering to other drives, but why with this drive only is beyond me

(I bounced from PT12, Logic and Ableton to that drive today without hassle)
Old 05-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Jazzooka

Default Still refuses to render

Hi

Bump - help!

Reaper still refuses to render to one work drive

In the meantime I export audio to other drives, but render works with all other DAWs to this drive, why does Reaper refuse to render (with nothing running in background)??

Thx for any help

Nico
Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzooka View Post
Reaper still refuses to render to one work drive

In the meantime I export audio to other drives, but render works with all other DAWs to this drive, why does Reaper refuse to render (with nothing running in background)??
You might find some additional hints in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116137

Also try to make a second portable Reaper install to a separate folder to check if rendering works there: http://www.kennymania.com/videos/rea...all-of-reaper/

Since you posted that the drive is fairly new: was rendering files with Reaper working before on the same drive?
Can you also post a screenshot of your current settings in the Render Window?

Last edited by solger; 05-10-2017 at 12:50 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
You might find some additional hints in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116137

Also try to make a second portable Reaper install to a separate folder to check if rendering works there: http://www.kennymania.com/videos/rea...all-of-reaper/

Since you posted that the drive is fairly new: was rendering files with Reaper working before on the same drive?
Can you also post a screenshot of your current settings in the Render Window?

Thanks Solger, I took some time to read through the thread you mention, but it didn't provide a solution.

Portable install tryout will be for tomorrow.

Re your last point : no, I did not render to Reaper before on that drive as it is new. As we speak, am recording a multitrack rehearsal session in Reaper on that drive without any trouble, so the writing part of the drive must be functional (combined with the success of recording/bouncing to that drive with PT, Logic, Ableton).

Screen print attached shows the default render screen. The directory field is blank, which prompts me to choose a directory/folder. Regardless of that I can not render, neither with blank field, specific folder or any other option I choose. Only rendering possible to other drives.

Still puzzled.

Any further help appreciated,

Thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper render small.jpg (59.4 KB, 387 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Hi,

The weirdest just happened while trying to export a render out of Reaper.

This is on a fairly new 7200rpm 1TB WD Caviar Blue, with working Protools sessions, Logic, Ableton and Reaper.

Mac Pro 5,1 - 12core 3.33GHz - 20GB Ram - OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 - MH ULN-8

Reaper refuses to render to that same drive where today's session is on.

Tried in :
- different folders
- different names

It displays this message (attached in picture) :

"Render status : the target drive/path does not exist, is unavailable, or is in use."

I have no applications running in the background (except for Avid manager, but has been so for long, MIO Console and UAD-Meter)

Looks like a bug, never ever experienced this, after hundreds and hundreds of renders, but before submitting it wanted to know if anybody came across this?

Thanks

Nico
I bet you switched systems. (ie. OS installs)

Reaper stores directory paths in your home folder with the shortcut. (~/ for HD_volume/Users/Your_HomeFolder)

That means when you boot from an alternate system, the shortcut version of the directory path is no longer the same. The shortcut (~/) now points to the current home folder.

So... When you do that, just click the browse button for render destination and select your mix folder again.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #8
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I bet you switched systems. (ie. OS installs)

Reaper stores directory paths in your home folder with the shortcut. (~/ for HD_volume/Users/Your_HomeFolder)

That means when you boot from an alternate system, the shortcut version of the directory path is no longer the same. The shortcut (~/) now points to the current home folder.

So... When you do that, just click the browse button for render destination and select your mix folder again.
Hi Serr, thanks for your input.

I did not install an OS, however, to clone a previous slower data drive to the newer one (the one that does not render with Reaper) , I had to take out the main SSD boot drive and start the computer on a OS clone backup partition that remains permanently on one of the 4 internal drives to temporarily free one of the hd slots.

Will try later in studio what you suggested
Old 05-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
Jazzooka

Hi,

@Serr, I tried what you suggested : ie, changing the render destinations, tried to many different locations on said drive, still no go

@
Solger : tried the portable Reaper install : still no go either, Reaper refuses to render to that drive

In the meantime, I setup a dedicated render folder on another drive, with subfolders for each current project, that will have to do for now...

If anybody has any idea what else to try or troubleshoot, much appreciated

Thx

N
Old 05-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
grinder

Jazzooka
Have you tried renaming that drive?
What formatting did you use? Did you re format the drive?
Can you use that drive in a normal fashion ie open it and make folders in it etc.
Get info from it?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Jazzooka
Have you tried renaming that drive?
What formatting did you use? Did you re format the drive?
Can you use that drive in a normal fashion ie open it and make folders in it etc.
Get info from it?

Grinder
Thx grinder

- no I did not rename it, in fact I cloned the older slower drive to the new one, as it contains sound libraries for my virtual instruments and DAWs (Geist 2, StylusRMX, Trillian, EXS24, EZdrummer, Ableton Live packs, Logic content and others), and to avoid failing to re-authorize libraries, or having to re-install homemade content for libraries of which I do not have the original files anymore.
It worked fine as I can open all my VSTi and libraries, without a glitch.
- I used the formatting I always use, which if memory serves me right is, Mac OS Journaled. (The one out of the list recommended by all soundware developers, that I use for over 10 years). Don't remember if HFS+ or extended, will check.
- I formatted the drive prior to cloning with disk doctor, as it came as a MS DOS FAT 32.
- I can use the drive to create folders, copying files, recording (with all DAWs including Reaper), rendering/bouncing with Ableton, Logic, PT12; mastering with Ozone or Hofa, and getting info of every file and folder, so yes in a normal fashion.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
serr

Quote:
Hi,

@Serr, I tried what you suggested : ie, changing the render destinations, tried to many different locations on said drive, still no go
Hmmm...

Did you use the browse button and browse to select a new folder? As opposed to typing in a new location to the existing prefix. (Ex. If the old path was something/something/folder, Did you just replace "folder" with a new location or did you click the browse button to 'start over' as it were?)

Try 'starting over' with the browse button is what I'm getting it.

If you DID that and still no go...
The message literally means the folder you typed in doesn't exist where you said it does.

What happens if you go to the output directory selection window and click new folder? Does it let you? And then does it see the new folder you just made and render to it?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
Jazzooka

Quote:
Hmmm...

Did you use the browse button and browse to select a new folder? As opposed to typing in a new location to the existing prefix. (Ex. If the old path was something/something/folder, Did you just replace "folder" with a new location or did you click the browse button to 'start over' as it were?)

The message literally means the folder you typed in doesn't exist where you said it does.

What happens if you go to the output directory selection window and click new folder? Does it let you? And then does it see the new folder you just made and render to it?
Thx Serr

- I used the browse button to select a new folder/existing folder, so yes to try to start over in about 10 different new/existing folders on the drive : on the root, and in subfolders, sub-subfolders etc...
- I have to try your last suggestion re go to output directory selection and clicking new folder

Will get back
Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
Jazzooka

Quote:
Hmmm...

Went back to some sessions, when rendering in directory I have the option to browse to file or directory or other recently used folders, but no option to create a new folder from within Reaper
(unless I use the finder when selecting the folder, in which I can create a folder)