Old 08-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
Jorgen
Human being with feelings

Default New song

http://www.dropbox.com/s/aespj0c993q...90808.wav?dl=0

I want to check if this works as it should, with Dropbox and everything. Actually a new song, almost everything is samples and loops and programming, no live instruments except the vocals.

It has a disco groove. Maybe you can dance to it.

Edit: updated link, thanks morgon.

Last edited by Jorgen; 08-09-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
toleolu

Not sure, but I think you need to add a closing ] for the URL tag, i.e. [URL] because your link's not working.

The link works if you copy and paste the link itself into a browser.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
morgon

Yeh, I pasted from www. and took the [/URL] bit off the end and got there.

Excellent song, Jorgen! Really good use of elements, it's like a good Euro pop, Beatles and Bowie blend, cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
Jorgen

That link, I see, yes, it looked a bit weird to me. Glad you found the thing anyway.

I'm working on a bunch of songs atm. I'd love some collaborators. See what gives.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
morgon

http://www.dropbox.com/s/aespj0c993q...90808.wav?dl=0

You could copy/paste this edited link into the OP
Old 08-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post

I'm working on a bunch of songs atm. I'd love some collaborators. See what gives.
Been looking to collaborate with people as well, what did you have in mind?
Old 08-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
morgon

Me too, I'm working on many projects but another in the rotation is fine.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
toleolu

I'd be happy to add guitar parts on anything you guys might be working on. I've got a couple of strats and a PRS, can do rhythm and lead parts, rock, blues, progressive, etc.

I've got a Drop Box account, if you've got something you'd like me to take a swing at, post it somewhere I can download it and then I'll upload what I come up with to my account and you can download from there.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
superblonde.org

Quote:

I want to check if this works as it should, with Dropbox and everything. Actually a new song, almost everything is samples and loops and programming, no live instruments except the vocals.

It has a disco groove. Maybe you can dance to it.
i played it a few times then went back to read this comment.

it reminded me of blondie. seeing that you called it disco, then you have fulfilled your goal.

lets talk about the last 4 seconds- i would have preferred to hear percussion continue and fade out with the organ. (ie. light cymbals) and fade the vocal a longer time (but without lengthening the duration of the ending, i mean, pull the fade start to the left).

I think the bass instrument should be +4 louder (especially since it is disco) and vocal should be -4 softer.

the organ tremelo (leslie?). it sounds mono and panned near all right. I think it should not be panned so much and should oscillate wider r-l. but maybe turn on the lesie only on peak sections.

the vocal reverb sounds great.

the drums sound great. the kick could be boosted especially more on lower end (again, its disco - make the booty dance)

guitar is good. it will really sound great with a real guitar with real fender amp + real spring reverb.

the synth that pans r to l with the "be be be be ..." could maybe use a light flanger on it.

there seems to be a single note where all instruments swell too loud. that is on the first downbeat of the chorus. it creates a muddy / mushy / boomy sound just on the one measure. part of it is because of the bass note. maybe play the bass note and do not play the organ on that one note. or remove the plate reverb from the bass (or, what do you have on it?). maybe the bass could be made crisper (remove all reverb)
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #10
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Been looking to collaborate with people as well, what did you have in mind?
Players who can do things I can't do/program. I'll put it up on the streaming services if the result sounds good.

Dropbox it is. As superblonde pointed out I could use real guitars on this one (and "real" everything). But I will put up other songs, too.

Last edited by Jorgen; 08-09-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:28 AM   #11
toleolu

Sounds good, I've got a few ideas I've been playing around with as well.

Looking forward to see what you've got.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:08 AM   #12
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
i played it a few times then went back to read this comment.

it reminded me of blondie. seeing that you called it disco, then you have fulfilled your goal.

lets talk about the last 4 seconds- i would have preferred to hear percussion continue and fade out with the organ. (ie. light cymbals) and fade the vocal a longer time (but without lengthening the duration of the ending, i mean, pull the fade start to the left).

I think the bass instrument should be +4 louder (especially since it is disco) and vocal should be -4 softer.

the organ tremelo (leslie?). it sounds mono and panned near all right. I think it should not be panned so much and should oscillate wider r-l. but maybe turn on the lesie only on peak sections.

the vocal reverb sounds great.

the drums sound great. the kick could be boosted especially more on lower end (again, its disco - make the booty dance)

guitar is good. it will really sound great with a real guitar with real fender amp + real spring reverb.

the synth that pans r to l with the "be be be be ..." could maybe use a light flanger on it.

there seems to be a single note where all instruments swell too loud. that is on the first downbeat of the chorus. it creates a muddy / mushy / boomy sound just on the one measure. part of it is because of the bass note. maybe play the bass note and do not play the organ on that one note. or remove the plate reverb from the bass (or, what do you have on it?). maybe the bass could be made crisper (remove all reverb)
Something like this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc3tv3kdg2...90809.wav?dl=0
Old 08-09-2019, 03:10 AM   #13
Jorgen

Here's a version without guitars. Feel free.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45bs9abpeu...itars.wav?dl=0
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #14
toleolu

Cool, give me a couple of days and I'll upload what I come up with.

I'm thinking a bass, rhythm guitar, and some lead fills. What do you think?

After downloading and listening on my headphones, noticed there already was a pretty good bass line in there. So just rhythm and some fills.

Update:

Here's a first take on the rhythm guitar part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77xpvxmap8...gen01.wav?dl=0

Got some overdrive and phaser on two different guitars, one of my strats and my PRS. Didn't add any effects or mess with the mix at all.

Let me know if this is what you had in mind or if you'd like something different.

Mahalo

Last edited by toleolu; 08-09-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #15
Jorgen

Hey man, that was fast, cool. You should crank those guitars a bit more, I have a hard time hearing them -- might be the phaser? I wouldn't mind screaming guitars in the chorus, would go well with the lyrics. (I just had a listen to Bowie's Hallo Spaceboy -- very cool guitars on that one.)
Old 08-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
toleolu

No problem, had the guitars down a bit so as not to be too much in the face kind of thing.

I'll crank it up a bit, then record each guitar twice panning them left and right, kind of gives a fuller sound.

That C# at the end of the verse progression, are you doing that as a major or a major 7th? I spent 2 years on an aircraft carrier flightdeck, kinda took a toll on the old ears.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #17
superblonde.org

Quote:
this sounds dramatically, dramatically better to me. especially the ending and the intro too.

i am listening with shure srh840

you still might be able to add a little more bass instrument maybe at the fundamental+2 octave eq point. again, because it is disco for booty shaking. I think this is possible (_maybe_) because the organ is still higher than that area of the bass, and the snare is much higher. do an A/B compare to another favorite classic disco track like blondie to hear how the bass instrument is placed.

minor point: the fade envelope that you have at the ending could have a slightly more curved tail shape, so that the final cymbal dies out at the softer dynamic just a little bit more slowly. right now it gets to a low volume and then cuts down too rapidly, which sounds less good. so then with this slower curve, maybe bring the cymbal track length a little to the left (so the fade starts just a tiny tiny bit earlier).

minor point: perhaps you could eq the two keyboards in a slightly more biased way. they both overlap a bit too much. especially noticeable in the intro bars. the second keyboard (I mean the one which comes in second, panned to the left, doing fast arpeggio) could maybe be more on the treble end because it is the soprano-melody, and the other one could be more on the low-mid area.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #18
superblonde.org

Quote:
Got some overdrive and phaser on two different guitars, one of my strats and my PRS. Didn't add any effects or mess with the mix at all.
too much overdrive. go cleaner. chords sound like mush. strat bridge only.

compare tone to a track by The Cars.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #19
Jorgen

Quote:
That C# at the end of the verse progression, are you doing that as a major or a major 7th?
That's a tricky area. In the very last bar, the bass and piano play a B(7), while the organ plays a C# minor.

I'd treat as a 5th major 7 chord, leading to the root chord (E major) in the chorus.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #20
toleolu

Got it, thanks.

I'm going to re record the two rhythm guitar parts and then upload the tracks, I'll PM you with the link so you can download them, add them to your existing project and adjust things to your preference. I usually render in 44.1K 24 bit .wav. Will that work for you or do you want a different format?
Old 08-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #21
zeekat

Hella catchy. Obviously I don't understand the lyrics, but wonder which part of the lounge could they piss off.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #22
toleolu

Jorgen;

Just PM'd you with the links to the new tracks I recorded this morning. One file is both guitars over your song, (panned the PRS a little left and the strat a little right) the other two files are the individual guitar tracks. (no panning on these tracks) They were rendered at 44.1K 24 bit .wav.

I didn't do anything with the mix, hope you're able to insert the guitar tracks into your project and then tweak to your preference.

I'm working on some tracks with some lead and some fills, just wanted to get the rhythm part nailed down first.

Just rough takes looking for your input on tone and style so it fits better with your vision. I record my guitar through my pedal board and Fender tube amp, no plugins except for Ignite Amps Cabinet IR's.

Mahalo
Old 09-03-2019, 03:29 AM   #23
Jorgen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lekf9xybw...itars.wav?dl=0

Here's a take with toleolu on guitars. I applied some cool automation tricks with a sidechain gate at one point, turned out pretty good, I think.

Quote:
Hella catchy. Obviously I don't understand the lyrics, but wonder which part of the lounge could they piss off.
Beats me, zeekat. The lounge has taught me everything I know.