Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
K8ch
Human being with feelings

Default Easier way to identify a track's midi channel?

This is probably obvious to everyone but me...

I've got several midi tracks, each one is on a different midi channel.

In order for me to see what midi channel a track is, I have to open the track, zoom in...right-click on an individual note and scroll down to "Note Channel" to see which channel it is checked off.

Is there an easier way to check?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Peace,

K8ch
www.reverbnation.com/keithhaydon
Old 01-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
DarkStar

With that situation, I would add the MIDI channel number, in (...), to the track name (or the MIDI clip name)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
K8ch

I suppose that would be a good idea -after- I'd gone through each and every channel to figure out what midi channel it uses.

Meanwhile, I was hoping there might be an easier way.

It kind of seemed like a feature I should expect: The ability to determine what midi channel is being used on a track -without having to dissect it.

Maybe this should be a requested feature?

Peace,

K8ch
https://www.reverbnation.com/keithhaydon
Old 01-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
I suppose that would be a good idea -after- I'd gone through each and every channel to figure out what midi channel it uses.

Meanwhile, I was hoping there might be an easier way.

It kind of seemed like a feature I should expect: The ability to determine what midi channel is being used on a track -without having to dissect it.

Maybe this should be a requested feature?
Hi Keith, I think that would actually be rather hard to do because each midi track and item could theoretically have 16 different channels.

What I do is something like DS is talking about, when I start a midi track, I put the midi channel at the front of the name using ">". For example, a drum midi track for me will allways be Channel 1 so I'll name it "1>Drums". I always use one Kontakt instance for drums.

Then for Bass, Piano, Steel, etc., I use another instance of Kontakt, and those tracks might be named something like this:

1>Bass
2>Piano
3>Steel
4>What ever

I'm quite rigid how I do this so I always know what channels my midi tracks are on.

If I've got several instances of Kontakt, I'll still name them starting with "1", but then I usually color the various midi tracks and Kontakt tracks to match.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
.....I always use one Kontakt instance for drums.

Then for Bass, Piano, Steel, etc., I use another instance of Kontakt, and those tracks might be named something like this:

1>Bass
2>Piano
3>Steel
4>What ever

I'm quite rigid how I do this so I always know what channels my midi tracks are on.

If I've got several instances of Kontakt, I'll still name them starting with "1", but then I usually color the various midi tracks and Kontakt tracks to match.
Wow, you must have a very powerful machine to have so many instances of Kontakt running Tod! I run one Kontakt for all my my Kontakt tracks with the multi-output Kontakt template. Benefit: you can easily see in Kontakt which sound is matched to which track.
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
Wow, you must have a very powerful machine to have so many instances of Kontakt running Tod! I run one Kontakt for all my my Kontakt tracks with the multi-output Kontakt template. Benefit: you can easily see in Kontakt which sound is matched to which track.
Well my computers not a sleaze but I think it's about average these days for DAW computers. it depends on the project how many instances of Kontakt I use.

I've got up to 28 nkis in my Kontakt with drums so I like to keep it separate.

My 2nd Kontakt will have all my basic instruments, like Bass, Piano, E- Piano, Rhodesy, Steel, a pad or two, etc..

Many of my projects will have strings, so I'll have a separate instance of Kontakt for that.

Also, I've written multi scripts for some of my instruments, so they will usually have their own instance of Kontakt.

I'm not an advocate of a separate instance of Kontakt for each instrument like many are, quite the opposite, but there are times when having a separate instance of Kontakt just makes sense.

I also don't have any big templates, I start every project from scratch and then add as I need things.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
K8ch

So the answer is:
There's no way to know what the track's midi channel is, without having to do a lot of work.
This seems wrong, to me.

I would think that I should be able to discern/change a track's midi channel without having to do all that.
If I import a midi song with 15 tracks, it'll take 10 minutes to figure out what the midi channels are...and that just doesn't make sense.

A shame...but I love Reaper too much to make a big deal of it..

Peace,

K
Old 01-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
TonE

Why not simply exploding by midi channel?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Checking for channels is pretty fast when you switch the MIDI editor to event list mode. That way you'll also easily find out when an item contains event on multiple channels. Use the midi editor's track list to switch through all your midi tracks, so you can keep the editor window open.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #10
tparker24

Default My preferred method is to route the track to the desired channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
So the answer is:
There's no way to know what the track's midi channel is, without having to do a lot of work.
This seems wrong, to me.

I would think that I should be able to discern/change a track's midi channel without having to do all that.
If I import a midi song with 15 tracks, it'll take 10 minutes to figure out what the midi channels are...and that just doesn't make sense.
Rather than try to figure out which channel the data is on, you could just set the track's output to the desired channel.

This can be done using the Routing icon in the TCP that is on every track. Then a simple mouse-over the icon shows the routing (including the channel).

Here's a midi hardware out track showing the mouse-over:

I set this by clicking on the Routing icon, and specifying a channel:

Here's an example using a VSTi:

Set up this way:

I'm just a newbie so I welcome any suggestions/corrections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (23.8 KB, 1284 views)
File Type: jpg a2.jpg (22.2 KB, 1280 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (57.1 KB, 1315 views)
File Type: jpg b3.jpg (46.7 KB, 1302 views)

Last edited by tparker24; 01-08-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Put images inline
tparker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
ivansc

There are historically conventions within SMFs - for instance piano on 1 bass on 2 drums on 10. Cant remember the rest but so long as your imported files follow this it should be easy. Certainly when I import all my old SMFs the track assignments are pretty much inline with htis apart from the odd weird one where I needed to use track 11 as well as 10 for an especially dense drum/perc arrangement.
Might be worth having a look at a few of your files and seeing how consistent they are.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
CEART

Any progress so far for direct and quick midi ch number for visible tracks in TCP or somewhere? or already an v.6 procrastinated rf?
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
mschnell

?!?!??! any track can hold (work on) multiply Midi channels. Additionally it can work on multiple Midi Buses, So this does not make any sense. ?!?!?!?
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote