Old 08-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default Footswitch punch-in

Hi, is there a way to get a footswitch to toggle recording on/off so that you can punch-in without setting a time selection or anything. I have a Nektar P1 which has the footswitch facility and I used to be able to punch-in record with it for my brief tortured relationship with Cubase but that was 3 years ago and I can't remember what the settings were. I am finding with Reaper that even with the track record-armed when I use the footswitch it only starts/stops playback. What setting do I have to make for it to record start/stop? I like to use a footswitch for quick guitar strumming as it seamlessly punches in. I am only interested in continuing the recording from the place where I went wrong as opposed to inserting a passage into a track with material either side of it. I'm probably forgetting some simple setting and would be grateful for tips. Thanks
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
domzy

go to action list
find "Transport: record"
click "add"
press your foot switch

this should assign it to the record action, generically via MIDI.

i believe the Nektar stuff has integration with Reaper built in, so there may be a better way though
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
ChrisBlue

It says mediakeyboard next to it so is this the right one?
Old 08-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
ChrisBlue

How do I change it from off state to on state please?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlue View Post
It says mediakeyboard next to it so is this the right one?
yes

Quote:
How do I change it from off state to on state please?
i'm not sure what you mean. The "transport record" action is a toggled function where one click should put it into record and the next click will take it out of record
Old 08-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
ChrisBlue

sorry yes I wasn't very clear. In the action list next to Transport Record it says "off" and even though I followed your directions it still says "off" and hasn't registered the action. I am trying to assign letting go of the pedal as the record operation as it is much easier to time correctly that putting it down. So I put the pedal down, then followed your directions and lifted my foot off to assign that as the action but it hasn't worked for whatever reason and it still shows the action as "off" in the action list
Old 08-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
domzy

Quote:
sorry yes I wasn't very clear. In the action list next to Transport Record it says "off" and even though I followed your directions it still says "off" and hasn't registered the action. I am trying to assign letting go of the pedal as the record operation as it is much easier to time correctly that putting it down. So I put the pedal down, then followed your directions and lifted my foot off to assign that as the action but it hasn't worked for whatever reason and it still shows the action as "off" in the action list
Are you sure the footswitch is capable of sending separate messages on up & down presses? I probably should have asked you whether it is latching or momentary, i assume latching, but it probably needs to be pressed (not just released) to trigger the action.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
Philbo King

A standard pedal plugged into the 'sustain pedal' jack should send a midi message of cc64 = 64 when pressed and cc64 = 0 when released.

So start with your foot off the pedal, and pick the action Transport-Record, hit 'add', and press and hold the pedal.

Then, holding the pedal down, select the action Transport-Stop, hit 'add', and release the pedal.

It's possible this won't work; I don't know if Reaper can assign actions to the values of a particular cc. Worth a try though.

If it doesn't work, it's likely a simple script would do it. Post a request for a script in the Developer forum.
https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Last edited by Philbo King; 08-19-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
JeffreyET

I don't want to sound condescending, but my initial experience with REAPER - very first project - revealed very quickly how easy it is to just record in any old spot in any old track, and then just stick it where it belongs later. After that I never worried about 'punching in' like we had to do with tape.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:51 AM   #10
ChrisBlue

No it doesn't register the footswitch action when I use it. Still not sure why in the action list the "state" is off for transport record, what does this signify? I can punch-in with time selection etc, was just hoping to be able to use pedal, not a big problem. Thanks
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #11
domzy

It should work, even with a sustain pedal, but you might need to change the CC behaviour to relative 1 (rather than absolute, which is the default) when you edit the shortcut.

If you set up an empty MIDI track with ReaControlMIDI on it and use the "show log" function, what does it say when you press your pedal?

Another thing to check is that your device is enabled for control as well as for MIDI, in your preferences.

i think state just indicates whether it's actually recording or not when you enter the action list.

Last edited by domzy; 08-21-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
ChrisBlue

It shows empty in the log whether I use pedal before opening it or while it's open. Regarding what the MIDI controller is set to do, I checked under preferences but other than whether enabled or not where would I look, I looked in control/OSC/web and it just says Panorama P1 (dev 3/4)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
domzy

Sorry, i should have mentioned that the track with reacontrolmidi on it needs to be record armed / monitoring on. If it's not showing anything it would suggest there is an issue somewhere.

In preferences / MIDI devices, if you double click an input port it will give you the option to tick a box to enable it for the control path.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #14
ChrisBlue

Thanks for update. There is still nothing there. Regarding MIDI Devices the P1 has Input enabled for P1 but not the MIDI In2 (panorama P1) etc but I don't know whether that is relavant (?)
Old 08-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #15
domzy

The fact it's not showing in the log suggests something is not enabled somewhere. Maybe there's a setting on the p1 you have to enable? I'm not familiar with it, is it a sustain pedal (ie hardwired to cc64) or is it assignable?
Either way, it should work to trigger an action (if you have enabled control in MIDI devices) but it sounds like Reaper isn't seeing it?

I assume the MIDIin2 is a separate port for any 5 pin DIN MIDI sockets - i'm not 100% but that is how it works on edirol, m-audio & CME products that i have.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
ChrisBlue

I just found more info on the P1 and you have to assign the footswitch to record. Sorted now thanks