Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #121
Admiral Quality
Human being with feelings

XXXXXX

Last edited by Admiral Quality; 01-23-2019 at 04:26 AM.
Admiral Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #122
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Quality View Post
Seems like you're trying to make excuses for yourself. Nobody says you have to pay for your musical tools with music. Get a day job. But if I get a day job (and I've periodically been forced to, and would be working one right now if I could find one) then no more software from me for you or anyone else.

And no, I'm not going to beg people to pay me for my products when they can simply pay me for my products or not use them. Of all the entitled BS!

Are you a customer, by the way? Or are my suspicions correct about why you're so keen on getting it out of Beta and an acting as an apologist for piracy?

I think maybe I'll keep it in Beta after it's feature complete. After all, it's just an arbitrary word and number.
Really ? Wow.

For the record:
- I am a paying customer as should be obvious from previous comments and feedback on your different beta versions
- I have never defended piracy
- I make a small but reasonable living in multimedia production

Your aggressive overreaction here is weird. I see why you got banned on KvR now.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #123
Admiral Quality

XXXXXX

Last edited by Admiral Quality; 01-23-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #124
Spirit

And there you have it: A man who laments the lack of paying customers calling a paying customer a liar and thief. No wonder he's finding business so tough.

Text from my "thankyou email" after purchase:

Thank you for purchasing Stunning Phaser from http://www.AdmiralQuality.com

Your license key-file for Stunning Phaser is attached to this email.

To authorize, save the attached "Stunning Phaser.key" file and place it in the appropriate folder on your system(s). You may authorize Stunning Phaser on any computer system(s) that you currently own, but we ask that you please only run it on one machine at a time. (Please contact us if you plan to run Stunning Phaser on multiple machines concurrently and we'll let you know what additional license fees, if any, are required.)

On Mac OSX, create the folders (under the Library folder in your user folder) "~/Library/Application Support/Admiral Quality/Stunning Phaser/" and place your "Stunning Phaser.key" file in there. (If you're having trouble locating the Library folder under your User folder, please follow the instructions on this page to reveal it: https://www.macworld.com/article/205...mavericks.html )

On Windows, create the folders "C:\Program Files (x86)\Admiral Quality\Stunning Phaser" and place your "Stunning Phaser.key" file in there. (On older, 32 bit versions of Windows, use the "Program Files" folder instead of the "Program Files (x86)" folder.)

Please feel free to email us if you need any help, have any questions or suggestions, or even if you just want to say hi. We're here to help!

Thanks again, and enjoy!

-- Admiral Quality
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:10 AM   #125
ivansc

spirit:

Shame. With an attitude like that he aint going to make too many friends.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:13 AM   #126
Admiral Quality

XXXXXX

Last edited by Admiral Quality; 01-23-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #127
Reason

Didn't see that coming.

I'd suggest owning your mistake and apologizing. People make mistakes, it's how you handle them that counts.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #128
ivansc

Wow - he went to all the trouble of altering every one of his posts rather than acting like a grownup!

Shame.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #129
lunker

The Admiral has always been friendly and helpful to me.

Sometimes people just have a bad day.

Many times I have over-reacted to what I perceived to be an attack or unjust criticism -- especially when it comes through email or a forum post where I don't get the full emotional context behind the words.

Last edited by lunker; 01-24-2019 at 12:00 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #130
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
The Admiral has always been friendly and helpful to me.
Agreed... I don't think many of us are willing to fight that battle, aka near 24/7 work with 80% of it wasted by people cracking your software. Has to make any sane person annoyed and no one is perfect, I'll bet no one here will play 4 out of 5 gigs for free which originally came with a price attached and not vent a little. Point being, let's take a deep breath and give him a break.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #131
sostenuto

^^^^^^^^ THIS !! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Clearly at a very tough time now and hopefully can find solutions that he can live with.
I have also had solid support from AQ and this session seems quite atypical.

Most of us have gone through some very difficult issues and periods. We react in very different ways. It's not so hard to empathize with Admiral Quality and give him some space to get things sorted.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #132
Glennbo

From my 27 years as a software programmer, the company I worked for eventually had to employ some copy protection, but I coded it in a way that wouldn't prevent the software from working, so that no paying customer would ever get burned.

If someone cloned the software and then altered the name, address, city, or state it was registered to so that it would print proper contracts and other documents, upon each login it would present the user with a message informing them that it appeared that they were using an unlicensed copy, and to call our offices to remedy the problem, or to report the violation of the license agreement for a $100 reward, but after the message displayed it would continue to run unaffected.

Reluctant store owners would on occasion call us, fearing that their employees would go for the reward with that message popping up, and they would then get properly licensed for a second or third location. I didn't want to put code in the software that would stop someone from doing business, but we knew that folks were illegally copying the software, changing details in it, and running it at locations that were never paid for.

For plugin software, maybe doing something like hashing the credit card number that purchased it along with the customer's zip code and the approval code from Visa/MC/AMEX to make a valid combination could be implemented. Something like that would be fairly difficult to fake if encrypted well.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #133
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Clearly at a very tough time now and hopefully can find solutions that he can live with.
He's been like this for years. Like, decades, I think. Some don't mind it, some think it's a real turnoff.

Personally, I've bumped into the stuff he has written on KVR, initially way over ten years ago, and he just kept reacting to things in this manner, year after year, when disagreeing on something... until he was banned. In my opinion, his output felt unprofessional and unlikeable. I have never bought anything from him as a result. Your mileage may vary, and many times I've also heard he's really nice in person when dealing with customers who he agrees with.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #134
Zlornick

Really disappointing, to be honest. I purchased the phaser and I do like the sound despite the glitchy interface, was looking forward to the final release and some refinement, but reading that exchange was definitely unsettling.
Zlornick is offline   Reply With Quote