Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #801
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Ghehe, thanks man!
I have to thank you! I've become so addicted that I run even my hardware synths through Filther now. It's a killer plugin, man
Old 04-20-2020, 02:04 AM   #802
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
I have to thank you! I've become so addicted that I run even my hardware synths through Filther now. It's a killer plugin, man
Haha, thank you

Any favourites among the filters? Or do you mostly use it for the waveshaper?
Old 04-27-2020, 03:38 AM   #803
beingmf

No, not just the waveshapers ‒ of course I always use the filters. It really depends on the source material and the intended flavour of course, BUT I'm always amazed at how universally good "LP resonant 3" sounds (alongside most of the others ‒ I'm not convinced of the wah models though ). And hell, that Serge wavefolder, haha! So good, if you want mayhem!

This was an interesting overview, because some sounds were instantly familiar.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #804
TonE

Quote:
Cheapest filters are probably linear ones. You can modulate them pretty cheaply too. Depending on the modulation speed, you could even get away with modulating the parameters every N samples.
Count piecewise linear filters as linear or non-linear? How about their cpu cost? Or is this technique not so common in filter design?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:45 AM   #805
sai'ke

Quote:
No, not just the waveshapers ‒ of course I always use the filters. It really depends on the source material and the intended flavour of course, BUT I'm always amazed at how universally good "LP resonant 3" sounds (alongside most of the others ‒ I'm not convinced of the wah models though ). And hell, that Serge wavefolder, haha! So good, if you want mayhem!
Ghehe

Yeah, it's a very gain/content sensitive plugin, which made it hard to make sensible presets for it as they tend to depend quite a bit on source material. Glad to hear you're enjoying it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Count piecewise linear filters as linear or non-linear? How about their cpu cost? Or is this technique not so common in filter design?
You'd have to define what you mean by piecewise linear.

If you mean interpolating between linear filters, I'd say they count as linear.

Iterative/implicit versus non-iterative/explicit would have maybe been a better designation.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #806
EvilDragon

Quote:
Is this the best filter ITB?
It's definitely very flexible, but there's also Cytomic The Drop...

Sometimes I wonder if it might be a bit option-paralysis with Filther, but hell, sometimes it's just plain fun.

sai'ke, any thoughts on maybe updating the UI at some point with larger text sizes and better contrast?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #807
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
better contrast?
Did you try all the themes? It's "." key to change it. Also note you can right click filters you don't need to cull the options a bit.

I'd also like bigger text...
Old 04-28-2020, 11:47 PM   #808
EvilDragon

Oh there are themes? Didn't notice. Checking!

EDIT: Yeah I don't like any others than the black one but the black one COULD use with better contrast across the board.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #809
foxAsteria

@ED - Ah well sorry there's nothing you like. You can edit the colors yourself if you want, but it's a little tricky to get precise colors. It's an RGBA system but they are on a scale of 0-1, so I couldn't figure out how to translate that accurately and just had to use trial and error. Otherwise I would have done more (perhaps better) themes.

Just hit edit in the fx window and turn off auto-refresh or it will be very slow. You shouldn't have any trouble finding the themes and their values. They are all close to the top.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:48 AM   #810
sai'ke

Theme-ing it is very painful and I'm definitely to blame for this, as I made use of transparency in designing the original theme. This thing started as my first JSFX and I definitely made some design mistakes along the way.

I'll try and add an optional overall upscaling to it over the weekend which might at least help a bit (would also increase the font size). I'm not opposed to do work on the UI, but I'm a programmer, not a designer and my bandwidth in terms of time is not huge at the moment.

I also fully agree with the feature-itis. It is very tempting to make a leaner version of this thing one day and just chuck out all the filters nobody ever uses, but I"m afraid that by now Hyrum's law may apply.

I'll think about it
Old 04-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #811
foxAsteria

Uhhm Filther was your first jsfx? Gosh golly, the tales of your programming prowess are understated, Sai'ke.

It's funny I would normally be overwhelmed by the complexity as well, but maybe because I was observing the development, it feels "just right." But that's also why I made a lot of the suggestion I did; to help keep things as intuitive as possible.

I did have to weed out a lot of the filters I didn't prefer to streamline workflow (esp with the extensive LP collection), but all the modulation options are only tapped when there's a clear use for them. It's a modulation powerhouse, but I just don't freely experiment with that much; it's almost always used deliberately.

Btw Sai'ke, I was experiencing a bug the other day (don't know how to reproduce tho) where the animated contents of the RMS/Level box were extending way below the boundaries (only downwards).

Still not sure why ED has a problem with the contrast tho. I use a very low contrast screen in a very dimly lit room and it's absolutely fine for me.

Anyways, as this is my go-to filter, I'd be happy to help revamp the UI, but I have no idea how that works beyond the graphics themselves...
Old 05-01-2020, 12:34 AM   #812
sai'ke

Yesterday, I learned on the chat that some people have some serious issues with Filther on retina displays. It being extremely unresponsive and hard to read.

As a quick experiment, I cobbled together a version which does a very horrid upscaling (rendering at the resolution us non-retina people use and then just upscaling that with blitting) and this seemed to improve performance quite a bit.

I'm considering adding this as a mode. I'm just curious, has anyone else noticed very poor graphics performance on a retina display?

The graphics are mostly limited by time. In principle JSFX can load bitmaps and blit with transparency and everything. I wouldn't mind having some mock-ups that we could put to a vote, but I can't promise that I can make it happen. I have seen several people making pretty great UIs on these here forums, so I'm sure there's a lot of talent here in that department. It'd also be nice if it didn't change the workflow too much; because that would likely take code changes that may break stuff for existing users.

Last edited by sai'ke; 05-01-2020 at 12:40 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:19 AM   #813
TonE

Filther is already perfect, how it is, please no removal of old/available features and no time wasting on gui, except retina corrections maybe, nobody told them to buy retina
Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 AM   #814
curmudgeoncucumber

Does this not work outside of Reaper?i just tried to run it in ReaJS and got some error message.it happens with all of the newer JSFX actually
curmudgeoncucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #815
sai'ke

Not out of the box, no. It's a known issue I'm afraid.

I could make a version that's compatible with ReaJS if I either get rid of the spectral display or compute it less efficiently (avoiding fft_real).

Related: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219785
Old 05-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #816
TonE

Not making this would be a good reason letting more users come to reaper, or not? Well you can decide, as always.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:00 AM   #817
sai'ke

I added the new Moog filters I implemented for the Morph filter to the Filther list.

Also reduced the gain that is used when measuring the impulse response used to display the filters in the frequency diagram to make sure that the filter characteristic you see reflects the linear behaviour, rather than the non-linear one.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #818
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeoncucumber View Post
Does this not work outside of Reaper?i just tried to run it in ReaJS and got some error message.it happens with all of the newer JSFX actually
Hey man,

For ReaJS compatibility, add the file attached to this post. Then in the Filther.jsfx file, on the first line (and any other ReaJS that uses fft_real), add:
Code:
import reajs_compatibility.jsfx-inc.txt
This will use a very shitty approximation of fft_real (one that does not use more memory and can operate in the same space, thereby being a drop-in replacement). It does mean you lose half the spectral resolution in the visualizer, but it's better than nothing.
Attached Files
File Type: txt reajs_compatibility.jsfx-inc.txt (1.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #819
permeke

possible fix for the font size ?
I'm on Mac and the smaller fonts are hardly readable.
Sorry for recently joining and already complaining
permeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:24 AM   #820
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by permeke View Post
possible fix for the font size ?
I'm on Mac and the smaller fonts are hardly readable.
Sorry for recently joining and already complaining
If you press L you get a different font. It was originally intended for linux but might make things better on Mac as well. I'll consider adding a global UI rescaling, but it'd make the overall window a lot bigger.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #821
permeke

L works perfectly on Mac. Thanks !!! .
bigger window , some like it others don't. Maybe you can make it as a preference ?
permeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #822
beingmf

@Sai'ke: Just a question/hint for the manual, respectively the names in the filter dropdown menu. The SSM 2020 is a VCA, are you referring to a 2044?
Old 06-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #823
sai'ke

Quote:
@Sai'ke: Just a question/hint for the manual, respectively the names in the filter dropdown menu. The SSM 2020 is a VCA, are you referring to a 2044?
I had to quickly look in my notes, but the diagram I used was for the SSM 2040, sorry. But I have no idea how close I got. It was a pretty rough approximation and I had no reference data for that one. I'll update it in the manual and plugin
Old 06-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #824
beingmf

Quote:
I had to quickly look in my notes, but the diagram I used was for the SSM 2040, sorry. But I have no idea how close I got. It was a pretty rough approximation and I had no reference data for that one. I'll update it in the manual and plugin
My proofreader/editor alter ego can sleep well now Thanks!
Old 09-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #825
gapalil001

Man You are made incredible things. just need to delete a lot of "creative" VST's ! is there any support or donation links? i can't find it
gapalil001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:58 AM   #826
UknownSource

wow this is great!!!

Thank you so much!
Old 02-25-2024, 03:02 PM   #827
Modular

I love this plugin so much. What a great job.

My only gripe is the GUI and the fact I cannot get the envelopes to work.

Is there a decent tutorial video anywhere showing how to use this beast?
Old 02-25-2024, 03:44 PM   #828
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post
My only gripe is the GUI and the fact I cannot get the envelopes to work.
I thought the GUI was a surprisingly straightforward beast. You just enable the button that's the same color as the envelope on the thing you want it to work on.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:32 PM   #829
DaniloVillanova

Can't figure out envelopes either. I turn on the button and apply modulation range with right-click but it doesn't move the cutoff. LFO works fine. Manual says modulation range is set up using "outer mouse button"...
DaniloVillanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 02:38 AM   #830
Modular

Regarding the GUI, I understand where everything is, that is not the problem. The skin just needs a cleaner look, maybe break the different areas into tabs, just a cleaner look would help.

Obviously the sound is fantastic and most probably one of the best JS plugins out there.

Regarding the envelopes, I had already tried what you mentioned, still not working for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I thought the GUI was a surprisingly straightforward beast. You just enable the button that's the same color as the envelope on the thing you want it to work on.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:07 AM   #831
Modular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post
Regarding the GUI, I understand where everything is, that is not the problem. The skin just needs a cleaner look, maybe break the different areas into tabs, just a cleaner look would help.

Obviously the sound is fantastic and most probably one of the best JS plugins out there.

Regarding the envelopes, I had already tried what you mentioned, still not working for me.
Figured out how to get LFO working. Envelopes still not working for me
Old 02-26-2024, 04:09 AM   #832
Dragonetti

Have you tried FM Filter 2 yet?
This makes it easier to set the envelopes.

I tried this one on a bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbvh7aRHhOk

Last edited by Dragonetti; 02-26-2024 at 04:53 AM.
Dragonetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:47 AM   #833
Modular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonetti View Post
Have you tried FM Filter 2 yet?
This makes it easier to set the envelopes.
Can't get it to work, gives me an error saying import: can't find file 'Saike_Yutani_Delays.jsfx-inc'
Old 02-26-2024, 12:49 PM   #834
blumpy

Default Simply amazing....

Amazing!

My new favorite filther.

I have noticed a few issues however. I wanted to use a fader controller for filter, resonance, but on an MCU they're 5 pages deep. Not quite accessible.

So I instead tried to use "show in track controller" then assign the controller to midi faders and save as an fx chain. But it seems as though only the cutoff on the first filter works. The others show movement but do not actually follow.

I've tested cutoff 1,2 and resonance 1,2. I could only get cutoff 1 to work. Perhaps it's something I'm missing or it's a bug.

Anyway, I'd move to see both the cutoffs and resonance move to the first page for MCU support and/or track controllers working.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:17 PM   #835
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniloVillanova View Post
Can't figure out envelopes either. I turn on the button and apply modulation range with right-click but it doesn't move the cutoff. LFO works fine. Manual says modulation range is set up using "outer mouse button"...
Yeah, in terms of usability it was definitely a learning project and I probably would have done some things differently if I were to do it again. I'd probably do something closer to FM Filter 2 if I did this again.

Note that the envelopes are MIDI only. So, to get the envelopes to work.

1. Enable it for the respective filter by pressing EN1 or EN2 (you already did this I think).
2. Enable TRIG on the envelope to make sure it triggers on MIDI.
3. Make sure MIDI input is coming in. You can verify this by selecting MIDI in the third graph on the top.
4. Make sure a modulation range is set on the filter cutoff of interest with the outer mouse button.

If you want non-MIDI triggered envelopes, you have to go with the dynamics option, but then your choice of options is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
Amazing!

My new favorite filther.

I have noticed a few issues however. I wanted to use a fader controller for filter, resonance, but on an MCU they're 5 pages deep. Not quite accessible.

So I instead tried to use "show in track controller" then assign the controller to midi faders and save as an fx chain. But it seems as though only the cutoff on the first filter works. The others show movement but do not actually follow.

I've tested cutoff 1,2 and resonance 1,2. I could only get cutoff 1 to work. Perhaps it's something I'm missing or it's a bug.

Anyway, I'd move to see both the cutoffs and resonance move to the first page for MCU support and/or track controllers working.
Unfortunately, moving parameters breaks presets, so that's not something I can do anymore.

I just tested with my MIDI controller, but on my end cutoff 2 seems to work. Are you using param->learn? That's the easiest way to set it up I think.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:53 PM   #836
DaniloVillanova

That worked, thanks! I have no idea what I was doing wrong.

What. a. sound!
DaniloVillanova is offline   Reply With Quote