Old 01-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
smueske
Human being with feelings

Default So Far, Pt. 2

Earlier, I mentioned that I'd be posting everything from "So Far" on SoundCloud. I'm slowly working my way through the material and remastering everything rendered after 2009. I just posted three songs in Pt. 2 of the set list.

https://soundcloud.com/muesk/sets/so-far-pt-2
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
sammydix

I went thru in order. Mnemosyne goes pretty well with a cup of green tea at 8:30am. I really got into it towards the end jam.

I could have heard a *lot* more of that opening beat in Stumbling. That got the blood going.

Second Thought kinda made me wonder "what's going to happen next?" as it played thru.

What I liked about them all was each one went through different passages throughout the song. No repeated hooks, just different "scenes." Sort of visual music.
I never heard the originals, but the remasters are sounding good.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
smueske

Thank you very much for listening and commenting, Sammy! I do try to make each piece feel like a self-contained story. I like to believe that my songs encourage your mind to wander and create its own narrative, much like a dream. At least that's what I shoot for.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
sammydix

It came through loud and clear for me, so success.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
smueske

I have posted remastered versions of "Same Time Tomorrow" and "Death of a Dream" to this playlist.

"Same Time Tomorrow" is a short minimal piece that explores the themes of loneliness and friendship.

"Death of a Dream" is a dark dreamscape written in 18 edo (18 notes per octave).

Old 01-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
sammydix

The kick in Same Time is mixed just about perfectly, but I think it could use a little variance in spots, or maybe occasionally effected differently with some automation.

Death took me on an undersea voyage. Got tiny touches of Yes, I thought, in spots. I think it was the drums that made me feel that. Had that proggy feel.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
smueske

Sammy:

I hear you on the mix comments. These are just remastered and posted, though, with no changes in the mix. In many cases, I don't have access to the original project files. There are several other masters for the various releases. Hopefully, these are the final masters before I archive all these songs.

In "Same Time Tomorrow" one of the design decisions was to use the same beat throughout. There are alternating snare hits -- plain followed by one with delay -- so I get the desire for more variation. This piece was an attempt to work with a few restrictions and work beyond feeling uncomfortable with simple repetitive patterns. I wrote it in 15/16, so I could have a triplet feel set against "simple" feel. Hopefully, this is transparent to the listener, though this is what makes it feel slightly offsetting.

Thanks for your comments on "Death of a Dream." I wish, now, that I had had more patience to develop a few of the sections more, but at the time I was trying to create a whole from a few short segments with a lot of radical sound design manipulations in between. Sort of the exact opposite of "Same Time Tomorrow." I think it is one of my least successful pieces, but I really enjoyed making it.

I decided to add "Drawing Horses" to this Playlist. This way, I'll only have one more batch before I move to Pt. 3.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
sammydix

Loved the timings on Horses.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
smueske

Thank you!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #10
smueske

I have added War Talk, Entropy's Song, and The Story of No to the So Far, Pt. 2 playlist.

All three pieces are microtonal. War Talk is written in Zeus 22, Entropy's Song is written in 26 ed3, and The Story of No is written in 15 edo.

Next week I will start on Pt. 3
Old 02-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #11
sammydix

I know what microtonal is, but what's Zeus, ed3 and edo?
Entropy was the standout for me in this batch. It reminded me just the tiniest touch of a lost track from Eno's Green World--at least in the middle and end sections.

Last edited by sammydix; 02-06-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #12
smueske

Sammy, edo stands for equal divisions of the octave. Sometimes it's written as ed2, because it's equal divisions of 2:1. Our Western system is 12 edo. ed3, which is 3:1, is equal divisions of an octave and a half. Zeus 22 is similar to 22 edo in that there are 22 steps in an octave, but it alternates smaller and larger steps.

Thank you so much for listening, and for your comments!
Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #13
sammydix

Never heard of any of that before. Learned something.