Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Travesty
Human being with feelings

Default Default controller mappings: Save as default

Hi,

I've been trying to use the standard midi learn to map some controls to rs5k, and I assumed these would stick when I selected Save as default mapping. This doesn't work for me.
If I copy the instance or save as a track or fx template, the mappings are stored, however I want them to be stored whenever the plug is instanced, for example when created via the mpl rs5k manager.

Am I missing something? Seems like that option should work.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #2
mpl

I can add as an option forcing default mapping for newly added RS5K instances. The issue is I can do it via trackstatechunk, which is potentially dangerous, so I try to avoid that for last created scripts. If Cockos will add API for setting up MIDI/OSC learn programmatically, I`ll add such feature for RS5k manager (if I remember right I already asked Justin about such API).
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
TonE

My mappings are saved when saved as track template. Default track should save as well. The other route would be using ReaLearn.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Hi,

I've been trying to use the standard midi learn to map some controls to rs5k, and I assumed these would stick when I selected Save as default mapping. This doesn't work for me.
If I copy the instance or save as a track or fx template, the mappings are stored, however I want them to be stored whenever the plug is instanced, for example when created via the mpl rs5k manager.

Am I missing something? Seems like that option should work.
I mapped controls to rs5k then removed rs5k reloaded to a different track the settings I saved as default work as they should, I did not use the rs5k manager I used param learn that is with the vsti rs5k.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
I mapped controls to rs5k then removed rs5k reloaded to a different track the settings I saved as default work as they should, I did not use the rs5k manager I used param learn that is with the vsti rs5k.
Sounds like you did exactly what I did, I don't understand why the settings didn't stick.

I don't really want to do realearn, as it requires me to load it into every track, which I find a little bulky when dealing with as many tracks as I do.

@mpl That would be helpful, thanks, but I feel like maybe I am encountering a bug
Old 01-29-2019, 05:00 AM   #6
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like you did exactly what I did, I don't understand why the settings didn't stick.

I don't really want to do realearn, as it requires me to load it into every track, which I find a little bulky when dealing with as many tracks as I do.

@mpl That would be helpful, thanks, but I feel like maybe I am encountering a bug
Did you do save as default when you finished.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:37 AM   #7
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Did you do save as default when you finished.
Yes..
Old 01-30-2019, 03:35 AM   #8
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Yes..
When you save your learn settings depending on which one of the boxes you checked you need to focus the track or the vst, otherwise it will not work as desired. I have set it closed reaper restart and it works, just focus it like I said.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Travesty

The settings are for vst focus

The vst is focused when saving learn settings
Old 01-31-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
The settings are for vst focus

The vst is focused when saving learn settings
When you want to use the saved setting you must have the vst in focus again just like what you set when saving it.

I missed saying that specifically in my last post.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #11
Travesty

Yes, I get that I have to focus it. I set it to only work when focused. The settings are gone if I delete the plugin, the defaults don't save
Old 01-31-2019, 05:16 PM   #12
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I get that I have to focus it. I set it to only work when focused. The settings are gone if I delete the plugin, the defaults don't save

What device are you using to control from.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
Travesty

Xtouch mini
Old 02-01-2019, 10:13 PM   #14
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Xtouch mini
I assume it is Behringer product.

Are the controls you are trying to use also been set to control your track levels also.

Last edited by Curtis; 02-02-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #15
LowlyOP

Quote:
Hey, I just wanted to point out that you don't need to load realearn into multiple tracks. My project templates all have realearn loaded as it's own VSTi track - controlling any number of tracks. Realearn isn't the easiest learning curve as I think much is still trial-and-error, with no advanced guides/instructions to work with. However, I've been able to accomplish some pretty useful and powerful functions in ReaLearn; i have a DDM-4000 mixer and various other midi controllers and can use my mixers' crossfade and levels in reaper, all other midi going to an instance of NI Traktor Pro 3, where I have piping audio thru ReaRoute to 4 "decks" (AKA "tracks") in Reaper.

Levels and CF run thru ReaLearn and control actual levels of ReaRoutes 8 channels (2 each deck) as expected, but crossfade is tweaked by assigning range limits acts just like a physical crossfader "curve" knob does so DJs can make cuts or slower fade transitions. Addition of a single MIDI button above the CF acts as toggle both LED state and a custom action which tells ReaLearn to toggle a pair of FX chain presets from "on" to "off" while another pair of FX Presets in chain are toggled from "off" to "on". In effect, this sets my current crossfader:"Deck"A-D / "Track" A-D) assignments to "inverse" (left side AC right side BD -> left side BD right side AC).

I then can assign various actions such as VST-specific Reaper FX actions and save however many I like for presets. I normally have at least a few presets for each MIDI device. I have FX-chain Templates saved, organized and titled in a logical and efficient manner. LED feedback, curve-mods, toggle switches, preset and track manager.. all in one track.
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I assume it is Behringer product.

Are the controls you are trying to use also been set to control your track levels also.
No, just trying to map to plugins
Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #17
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowlyOP View Post
Hey, I just wanted to point out that you don't need to load realearn into multiple tracks. My project templates all have realearn loaded as it's own VSTi track - controlling any number of tracks. Realearn isn't the easiest learning curve as I think much is still trial-and-error, with no advanced guides/instructions to work with. However, I've been able to accomplish some pretty useful and powerful functions in ReaLearn; i have a DDM-4000 mixer and various other midi controllers and can use my mixers' crossfade and levels in reaper, all other midi going to an instance of NI Traktor Pro 3, where I have piping audio thru ReaRoute to 4 "decks" (AKA "tracks") in Reaper.

Levels and CF run thru ReaLearn and control actual levels of ReaRoutes 8 channels (2 each deck) as expected, but crossfade is tweaked by assigning range limits acts just like a physical crossfader "curve" knob does so DJs can make cuts or slower fade transitions. Addition of a single MIDI button above the CF acts as toggle both LED state and a custom action which tells ReaLearn to toggle a pair of FX chain presets from "on" to "off" while another pair of FX Presets in chain are toggled from "off" to "on". In effect, this sets my current crossfader:"Deck"A-D / "Track" A-D) assignments to "inverse" (left side AC right side BD -> left side BD right side AC).

I then can assign various actions such as VST-specific Reaper FX actions and save however many I like for presets. I normally have at least a few presets for each MIDI device. I have FX-chain Templates saved, organized and titled in a logical and efficient manner. LED feedback, curve-mods, toggle switches, preset and track manager.. all in one track.
Ok, I didn't know it could control other tracks. I might take another look.
Would you mind sharing your track template?
My main complaint, as far as I remember, was that I would have to include it on every track
Old 02-07-2019, 01:52 AM   #18
Travesty

I think I know what the issue is. Reaper stores the defaults based on the instance name, and rs5k changes name based on the sample. So adding mappings to an instance which already has a sample will add defaults to an instance which will most likely never be seen again.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 AM   #19
LowlyOP

Quote:
Ok, I didn't know it could control other tracks. I might take another look.
Would you mind sharing your track template?
My main complaint, as far as I remember, was that I would have to include it on every track
Sorry for the late reply. I can do that later today, I'm on my phone right now. The template is very much tailored to my uses, and my devices, so i'm not sure how much help it would be. Maybe one of these days I'll make a video if there's enough interest (as well as me feeling confident enough in actually explaining it in a way that will be useful in other cases).

But yes, i'll get a template up later on, as i don't think you should give up yet.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #20
LowlyOP

Let me know if this helps/ any questions that may come up.

https://stash.reaper.fm/35373/ReaLea...Chain.RfxChain