Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #201
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
Hello,

I'm not sure this is a reaper bug or a MATE desktop one, but when i'm using "set tracks to custom color..." I can't define the colors in the bottom line to find them later as I can do on windows version.

Here is a screenshot of the problem :
https://ibb.co/ryRv9LS

I can't make more tests if needed
Confirmed here too.

However I've been using this, so I haven't noticed that problem until now:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189602
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #202
daeavelwyn

@JamesPeters : Holly sh**t reaper users are so wonderfull ! thanks a lot, this will perfectly do the job for now even if it still seems to be an issue for the default window.
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #203
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hello,

I'm not sure this is a reaper bug or a MATE desktop one, but when i'm using "set tracks to custom color..." I can't define the colors in the bottom line to find them later as I can do on windows version.

Here is a screenshot of the problem :
https://ibb.co/ryRv9LS

I can't make more tests if needed
A little bit non-standard UI there -- right-click to set the color, left-click to get the color.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #204
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unius View Post
Hi!

In Crossfade Editor: bug in Layout (01.png & 02.png after resize)

In Project Bay: the right mouse click always shows the menu for 1 item (03.png)
Thanks, fixing these!
Old 01-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #205
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
A little bit non-standard UI there -- right-click to set the color, left-click to get the color.
Wow, how did I miss that. I could've sworn I tried that. My mistake!

Oh you're going to like this lol. Try (after a color has been assigned to one of those squares at the bottom via right-click) alternately left-clicking and right-clicking on the square repeatedly. Watch the parameters change gradually. (You'll see the + in the color graph gradually creep to the right or left.) You might have to try this a couple times. It doesn't happen with all possible colors. But I can repeat it more than 50% of the time with an arbitrary starting color near the center of the color graph.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 01-19-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #206
daeavelwyn

@justin : Oh, ok, of course I sometime forget that in Reaper right click is always the solution X-D !

Where could I help in documenting this behaviour ?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #207
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
@justin : Oh, ok, of course I sometime forget that in Reaper right click is always the solution X-D !

Where could I help in documenting this behaviour ?
Suppose we should add a text label to that window "(right click to store a value here)".

Edit: added that, and fixed the RGB/HSV rounding issues in the latest build (or latest WDL if you prefer to use a release).

Last edited by Justin; 01-20-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #208
daeavelwyn

@Justin : Great ! Will test ASAP, thks

[EDIT] : Test done ! I'd personaly rather a sentence like : "Once color is defined, right click a custom color to set" or somehting clearer, but unfortunately also longer :-/ .

Last edited by daeavelwyn; 01-26-2019 at 03:11 AM. Reason: test done
Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #209
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
...fixed the RGB/HSV rounding issues in the latest build ...
I remarked about that in the prerelease thread. It's "mostly fixed", basically. Realistically it's close enough but there's still a tendency for the numbers to get rounded once (I can reproduce it often, but it doesn't continue to round every time I right-click/left-click on the color box).
Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #210
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I remarked about that in the prerelease thread. It's "mostly fixed", basically. Realistically it's close enough but there's still a tendency for the numbers to get rounded once (I can reproduce it often, but it doesn't continue to round every time I right-click/left-click on the color box).
Yeah, it gets converted from HSV to RGB when stored, and there are HSV values which get rounded to RGB (but only once).
Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #211
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Ok, thanks for the info. Not a big deal. There's alot of other choices out there.
There is a way around the display/library incompatibilities that may work.

Basically it's to run the Linux vst's using a Linux version of LinVst (no Wine) https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/tree/LinVst-Linux

The instructions are in the LinVst-Linux.zip file in the Release folder (made on Debian Stretch 64bit).

Basically it's the same as using LinVst but the filenames have an added * character to them and those vst names get used in the Daw (not the original vst names).

Running tunefish3 and the Safe plugins this way seems to work on my system.

amsynth might work this way as well.

Last edited by osxmidi; 01-23-2019 at 10:50 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #212
JamesPeters

Not really a bug but something which was perhaps overlooked:

libswell.colortheme, if copied/added to the Reaper resource directory for customization of fonts/colors/etc., isn't a file that's recognized as something which can be exported by the "Export configuration" dialog in Options -> Preferences -> General.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:23 AM   #213
calimerox

not sure if this is the right thread for that info, but downloaded the last reaper version and it just crashes on me on launching, no chance to get it running. saying just:

reaper
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

older versions work just fine.. any suggestions? is there a debug mode or another way i could provide more infos or a crash report?
calimerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:59 AM   #214
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimerox View Post
Are you sure you downloaded the right architecture for your machine (32 vs 64 bit)?
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:18 AM   #215
I/O_Madness

Hey, I posted this to the 5.965 dev 0119 thread but no one responded.

I'm trying to use the v5.965 dev 0119 with an Ohm64 MIDI controller on my Arch Linux machine, and I can't seem to be able to control plugins with the controller.

I'm using a2jmidid 8-3 with qjackctl to pass MIDI to REAPER. After setting the Ohm64 as a MIDI input to a mixer channel, I am able to see the red bar jumping up when I press a note, and when I record I can record MIDI notes, however, I can't seem to be able to send the MIDI to any plugins directly. I can record notes, then play back the resulting MIDI file in the same channel and it works fine, but while the mixer channel is record armed, and I play notes on the Ohm64, none of the plugins I've tried seem to register any input.

Also, an update on this, I noticed that this happens even when using the virtual keyboard input.

EDIT: Found out "monitor input" was turned off. On Windows it's normally on by default, but got it sorted!

Last edited by I/O_Madness; 02-01-2019 at 08:47 PM.
I/O_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #216
Glennbo

Don't know what exactly does it, but in a project I'm working on currently the track meters, which are segmented and normally have a gap between the left and right channels are losing most of the gap after I've done some tweaking either to the media or FX on the track. Here's what it's doing. The one on the right is what it should normally look like.

Another thing that seems to have changed in some recent version is the item properties panel now looks reversed color scheme wise. I use a dark theme with an xfce desktop. This is what the panel now looks like, where before I'm pretty sure it had a dark background in some previous versions.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-04-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #217
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Another thing that seems to have changed in some recent version is the item properties panel now looks reversed color scheme wise. I use a dark theme with an xfce desktop. This is what the panel now looks like, where before I'm pretty sure it had a dark background in some previous versions.
Mine is themed via libswell, but FWIW item properties is still dark on my system, just tried with 5.97pre2
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #218
Fourstepper

I've probably got one, but it's not really a reaper bug more of a linux one imo.

Anyways, anytime I manage to crash reaper with something bad happening, it won't start again unless I restart the PC. I use Linux Mint Xfce and JACK. Did anyone else encounter this too?

Thanks,
Robin
Fourstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #219
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimerox View Post
not sure if this is the right thread for that info, but downloaded the last reaper version and it just crashes on me on launching, no chance to get it running. saying just:

reaper

older versions work just fine.. any suggestions? is there a debug mode or another way i could provide more infos or a crash report?
System specs?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #220
Westrabua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstepper View Post
I've probably got one, but it's not really a reaper bug more of a linux one imo.

Anyways, anytime I manage to crash reaper with something bad happening, it won't start again unless I restart the PC. I use Linux Mint Xfce and JACK. Did anyone else encounter this too?

Thanks,
Robin
I"m on Manjaro XFCE with Cadence and JACK. What I've found out is that whenever Reaper crashes (usually buggy windows VST that doesn't play well with LinVST and crashes it and therefore REAPER as well), it messes up JACK.

The solution (for me):
I use 'htop' to search (F3) for "Cadence" and "Jack" and SIGKILL (F9 -> 9 -> Enter) to terminate those processes.
Then I restart JACK (with Cadence in my case). After that REAPER starts just fine.
No reboot required.
Westrabua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #221
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrabua View Post
I use 'htop' to search (F3) for "Cadence" and "Jack" and SIGKILL (F9 -> 9 -> Enter) to terminate those processes.
Then I restart JACK (with Cadence in my case). After that REAPER starts just fine.
No reboot required.
Is that JACK1 or JACK2?
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 03-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #222
Tobbe

Hi,

Don't know if it is just in Linux but Reaper keeps creating REAPER/Media under /home/tobbe/Documents. I have rearranged everyhing I save all my stuff at /home/tobbe/Reaper Projects and under that Audio, Peak files & Backup under every song. But as soon I create a new song somehow Reaper creates its folder under Documents (REAPER/Media) and saves some backups in a newly created Backup folder. I delete it and it's keeps coming back. It also creates everything in REAPER/Projects as I have set it up.

I deleted ini files and did the same thing...it's keep coming back.

I don't wont have then under /home/tobbe/Documents

General
/home/tobbe/REAPER Projects/ (Default path to new projects, nothing more here)

Project
Save project file references...ticked
Save timestamped files....Backup

Media
Put new peak files in peaks/sub (ticked)

File/Project Settings
Media tab "Path to save media files..." (Audio)

So I don't know where the problem is. I gone through this several times and watch Kenny'a video, and I think I got everything right.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #223
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
I have rearranged everyhing I save all my stuff at /home/tobbe/Reaper Projects
If you leave a space character in the path, that might be a problem. I forget where I saw that, pertaining to Linux, but I think it's worth trying. Make a folder without a space in the name, then try again (use a dash, underscore, or just don't leave a space).
Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #224
Glennbo

Quote:

That's the identical behavior I've always seen in Windows, and now in Linux, although REAPER almost never crashes in either OS.

The issue seems that if something like a rogue plugin derails REAPER, then the audio layer that REAPER owned at the time, be it ASIO in Windows or JACK in Linux, never gets released properly so the next try at grabbing it fails because to the OS it appears to still be in use.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 AM   #225
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
If you leave a space character in the path, that might be a problem. I forget where I saw that, pertaining to Linux, but I think it's worth trying. Make a folder without a space in the name, then try again (use a dash, underscore, or just don't leave a space).
Renamed REAPER Projects to REAPER_Projects check that REAPER Media is gone under Documents. Open up a song, did some editing close and love and behold, the directory REAPER Media is back like Terminator, YAY!
Old 03-19-2019, 01:30 AM   #226
Tobbe

Quote:

Thanks,
Robin
Happens to be also, now and then. Reboot is only thing that helps. Next time I'm gonna start Reaper via terminal so what happends.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #227
Westrabua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Is that JACK1 or JACK2?
It's JACK2 (Version 1.9.12-8).
Westrabua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:26 AM   #228
Jack Winter

Don't think I've ever seen JACK1 do that.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:05 AM   #229
Fourstepper

I kinda found the solution to the need of reboot on crash, you have to terminate jack, all wine tasks, all linvst (in my case) tasks and reaper. Then you can restart everything and it will work.
Fourstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #230
Jklitz

Default Linux Reaper 5.973 plugin scan

Every time I start Reaper it scans the plugins and takes a long time cant seem to turn it off. Linux Reaper ver 5.973
Jklitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #231
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklitz View Post
Every time I start Reaper it scans the plugins and takes a long time cant seem to turn it off. Linux Reaper ver 5.973
That's not happening on my system. Same version of Reaper.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #232
experimentfailed

Default Select Next/Prev Track/FX Seg Fault

REAPER 5.973 on Gentoo up-to-date

This seems to affect both SWS and my own Python scripts (https://bitbucket.org/experimentfail...master/extras/).

Once I map some buttons on my MIDI controller (BCR2000) to either SWS or my own scripts, select an FX then select another track, REAPER dies with an unspecified Segmentation Fault. There may be slight variation or intermittency between SWS and my scripts, but invariably, randomly using them will result in a seg fault, in pretty short order.

SWS is a little worse, in that selecting next/prev FX results in only a flash of the correct FX UI, but the UI ends up drawing the old (but does show the correct FX as selected).

99% sure I raised this once before somewhere...maybe not here (probably in some other thread related to my scripts), but it's definitely ongoing.

I've updated SWS to the latest build I can find which is 2.9.8. I will try to build from source, but just b/c I use gentoo, doesn't mean I'm good at it lol....

Edit: Sry, the specific SWS actions that are broken are:
"Select next FX (cycling for selected tracks)" and "Select previous FX (cycling for selected tracks)". Then obviously, my corresponding script filenames which exhibit a similar seg fault.
experimentfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #233
kickore

Default Two issues - One aesthetic, one functional

Hey!
So, first thing, thank you all for developing a linux build. I can't express to you how much I appreciate that.

Anyway, I have two issues that I've found thus far. Everything else has been pretty stable(with the exception of linvst/airwave issues). I've attached a screenshot to showcase the transport issue.

First one at the top is purely aesthetics, it still functions fine but the text in the transport gets cut near the bottom. Not sure why.

Second is at seemingly random, track 3 (and only 3, in any project I'm working on) seems to start collecting the various VST/plugins of the other tracks in the project. There was ~20-30 plugins in my current project, where there should have been only 5. This is actually causing issues as it seems start causing the tracks who's FX were copied to stop working correctly.

I'm not able to reproduce this arbitrarily, though it does happen at least once every time I open reaper.

System is fully updated.
Thanks in advance for any help/ideas!

I use Arch, btw.

Edit: So #2 only happens when the mixer window is open on another virtual desktop.
I do this so I can have both mixer and the arrange view open at full screen without two monitors(on a laptop).
I'm using i3 as my window manager.
Attached Images
File Type: png crop.png (9.5 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by kickore; 04-05-2019 at 08:26 AM.
kickore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:05 AM   #234
David Else

When I import a .jpg image Reaper reports in the track view that it is 'resampled from 44.1hz' and in the media item properties it also says 'take media source: RESAMPLED'... this is very weird?! Details are:

/plane.jpg
Video: 1694x1122@1.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=RGB

On the same track after it is a .mkv file with audio at 48k inside it. Correctly nothing is reported for that.

My sample rate is 48k.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #235
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
When I import a .jpg image Reaper reports in the track view that it is 'resampled from 44.1hz' and in the media item properties it also says 'take media source: RESAMPLED'... this is very weird?! Details are:

/plane.jpg
Video: 1694x1122@1.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=RGB

On the same track after it is a .mkv file with audio at 48k inside it. Correctly nothing is reported for that.

My sample rate is 48k.
Just got fixed in latest RC!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #236
mike@overtonedsp

Default Anticipative FX processing vs latency

With 'Anticipative FX processing' enabled (default) controls on plug-ins are unacceptably laggy. If this is a bug, please can it be fixed - or, if its just 'what you get' when you enable it, please can it default to off.

We / I spend a lot of time and resources making sure plug-in controls are smooth and responsive, with efficient interpolation (and no zipper noise when adjusting the parameters... because its 2019 - and that's *still* a thing with some other plug-ins) and this is killing us - for not much benefit as far as I can see.

Meantime I would recommend everyone to go to Preferences->buffering->FX Processing, uncheck the 'anticipative FX processing' option and your life will be better.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #237
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@overtonedsp View Post
With 'Anticipative FX processing' enabled (default) controls on plug-ins are unacceptably laggy. If this is a bug, please can it be fixed - or, if its just 'what you get' when you enable it, please can it default to off.

We / I spend a lot of time and resources making sure plug-in controls are smooth and responsive, with efficient interpolation (and no zipper noise when adjusting the parameters... because its 2019 - and that's *still* a thing with some other plug-ins) and this is killing us - for not much benefit as far as I can see.

Meantime I would recommend everyone to go to Preferences->buffering->FX Processing, uncheck the 'anticipative FX processing' option and your life will be better.
I totally don't get this post. I have a REAPER project that has 49 FX, 47 of which are OverTone DSP plugins. To see what you are referencing, I un-ticked anticipative FX and the project wouldn't even play.

I'm not experiencing any lag in the movement of the controls while playing or stopped, and as for how quick I hear the changes I'm making with the controls, like sweeping the mid band freq on EQ500, seem pretty instantaneous.

Edit: I thought I'd include all my relevant system specs.

Asus P7P55D / 2.66Ghz Intel i5 / 6GB RAM / Two M-Audio Delta 2496 PCI Audio Cards

I use JACK audio set to 64 samples with 2 periods for 1.4/2.9ms latency in REAPER

Just now I played with the freq control on an instance of EQ500 on a guitar track and with the Q set to max, I was able to real time create a wah-wah effect by spinning the frequency control to the beat of the music. No lag whatsoever happening here with anticipative FX enabled like I've always run REAPER in both Linux and Windows.

Last edited by Glennbo; 04-16-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #238
Jack Winter

No doubt anticipative fx processing is a godsend for lower cpu use, possibly even more so if you use wrapped windows plugins. The delay between changing a plugin parameter and hearing the change has always annoyed me though.

I'd recommend to lower the render ahead setting to something lower than the default 200ms though, personally I normally have it on 50ms.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #239
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:
I totally don't get this post...
@Glennbo: If its working for you as it is, that's great - I was mixing something recently and I noticed the issue - to be clear it wasn't the GUI itself that was laggy, but a noticeable time between turning a control and hearing the change. I was using a buffer of 128 samples at 48000 with ALSA (not JACK - maybe that has something to do with it).
At those settings, or even up to 512 samples in other hosts / OS there's no problem. The only thing that made a difference was to disable the anticipative FX.

EDIT - Running such short (64 sample) buffer settings is probably why your session wouldn't run with render ahead disabled - and I guess a short buffer, with render ahead enabled, is actually behaving like having larger buffer settings

@Jack Winter: I guess adjusting the render ahead setting will have the same effect - I haven't tried that.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #240
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I totally don't get this post. I have a REAPER project that has 49 FX, 47 of which are OverTone DSP plugins. To see what you are referencing, I un-ticked anticipative FX and the project wouldn't even play.

I'm not experiencing any lag in the movement of the controls while playing or stopped, and as for how quick I hear the changes I'm making with the controls, like sweeping the mid band freq on EQ500, seem pretty instantaneous.

Edit: I thought I'd include all my relevant system specs.

Asus P7P55D / 2.66Ghz Intel i5 / 6GB RAM / Two M-Audio Delta 2496 PCI Audio Cards

I use JACK audio set to 64 samples with 2 periods for 1.4/2.9ms latency in REAPER

Just now I played with the freq control on an instance of EQ500 on a guitar track and with the Q set to max, I was able to real time create a wah-wah effect by spinning the frequency control to the beat of the music. No lag whatsoever happening here with anticipative FX enabled like I've always run REAPER in both Linux and Windows.
This is my experience as well, using ALSA. Anticipative render-ahead is 200ms (Reaper's "stock" setting). Using JS plugins or LinuxVST plugins, there's no discernible latency when adjusting controls. My system's round-trip latency is ~7ms, and it responds like that.

@mike: are you using plugins that introduce latency?