Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-13-2019, 03:28 AM   #81
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Especially 1.39 is a relatively big addition/change, so please let me know if you run into any bugs.
Holy cow! How did you do all this in one day? (⊙_◎)!

The sliders move like butter now. And I was surprised to see the MIDI trigger already implemented. I just set up synth1 and made a short sequence. It works like expected (the sound is just amazing!) but there seems to be a problem with faster incoming notes. Something seems to get out of timing and I'm not sure if its all the time or only at faster play rate.

I will try to upload an example.

By the way: Its such a cool feeling to play MIDI notes and run a plain saw tooth thru Filthers routine. So much fatness! Many thanks for your amazing work.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:01 AM   #82
Eliseat

Here is an example of what I mean.

I rendered the same sequence two times. Once with synth1's intern filter, once with MIDI triggered Filther SFV LP linear. Can you hear how the faster timing just mess things up?

This is the synth bass with synth1's intern 24db LP filter

This is the same synth bass filtered with Filther's MIDI trigger SFV LP

Notice how warm and fat the latter sounds but also how it struggles at the 1/16 notes.

Here is a screen shot of how the sequence looks like. Maybe you can recognize something important. Are the "not off"s to close to the next "note on"s? 乁༼☯‿☯✿༽ㄏ I don't know!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #83
sai'ke

Ah whoops. Good catch! I was handling them at a per block level. D:

It should be fixed now. I also added a tiny lowpass filter for the dynamic variable, since sometimes, the extremely rapid transitions could cause some clicks.

Changelog 1.42
- Increased precision MIDI handling.
- Interpolate dynamic variable.

Changelog 1.43
- Display interpolated dynamic variable rather than raw.
- Minor bugfix MIDI handling (could be delayed by 1 sample before, which caused issues if MIDI was exactly at t=0).

Changelog 1.44
- Bugfix diode ladder. Thing should be reliable now.

Last edited by sai'ke; 01-13-2019 at 07:55 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #84
Eliseat

Quote:
Ah whoops. Good catch! I was handling them at a per block level. D:

It should be fixed now. I also added a tiny lowpass filter for the dynamic variable, since sometimes, the extremely rapid transitions could cause some clicks.

Changelog 1.42
- Increased precision MIDI handling.
- Interpolate dynamic variable.

Changelog 1.43
- Display interpolated dynamic variable rather than raw.
- Minor bugfix MIDI handling (could be delayed by 1 sample before, which caused issues if MIDI was exactly at t=0).

Changelog 1.44
- Bugfix diode ladder. Thing should be reliable now.
You are just crazy!

Here is how it sounds after fixing. This is exactly as I'd imagined it before. You wouldn't believe that this filter is added after the synth. Amazing!
https://instaud.io/3aw0

Here another example. The source is only synth1 without its own filter.

https://instaud.io/3aw4

And in the next example I noticed two problems. First: The amount of filters isn't correlating to the automation input. So if you want to change the filter type thru automation (as I wanted for my examples) you only get half of the available filters to choose from. (The vertical course of the envelope lane does not cover the amount of filters.)
Second: If I make a hard jump from one cutoff sweep to the next, Filther needs a lot of time to get the cutoff at the right start point. You can hear a hard short sweep every time. Not sure if this is dependent on Filther's (or any filter's) structure but I thought that it has a look ahead function for that.

In this example the first loop is the clean synth1 output. Afterwards I changed various filter types with a filter cutoff sweep. (clean input, not optimized, just plain filter sweeps) It shows how much character a Filter adds to the sound. Just stunning! -`ღ´- (✿ ♥‿♥)

(But notice the weird behavior when the cutoff sweep starts again.)

https://instaud.io/3aw7
Old 01-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #85
Eliseat

By the way: Uhe Diva doesn't sound much better!

https://instaud.io/3awV

Was just kidding! (*´∀`)
This is only ReaSynth, Filther and ReaDelay! And this time I didn't change the cutoff but the cutoff modulation amount.

How cool is that?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #86
sai'ke

Ghehe, cool samples!

And yeah, I notice that, and that is definitely not intended. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Changelog 1.47
- Overhauled sample accurate interpolation (again). Should be solid now. I suspect this is what caused that initial sweep in your test. Before, it would just interpolate automation between blocks. Now during the block update, it looks whether automation points are incoming, builds a list and runs through that list once getting to the sample processing. Again, this was a relatively big overhaul, so if there are issues, let me know.
- Added the additional filters to the slider so that it can be automated.
- Listen to all channels for note events instead of just midi channel 1.

There is still something I want to verify regarding the lookahead option. Something seems to act funny when changing the RMS time or turning lookahead on and off. For some reason, you have to re-initialize for that to normalize (just click anywhere in the track). I haven't quite pinpointed where that is coming from yet. I will test further next weekend.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:01 AM   #87
Sju

Just a quick bug report with the latest version:

if you adjust for example the cutoff modulation range with right-drag, the new range is not applied until after you move some other control that's not included in the FILTER block.

Cheers! Really enjoying the range of sounds this thing is capable of
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #88
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post

if you adjust for example the cutoff modulation range with right-drag, the new range is not applied until after you move some other control that's not included in the FILTER block.

That's correct. Sometimes the filter jumps out of filtering and starts again if you click at the input/output or the waveshaper panel.
The MIDI timing is stunning. This is such a fun to just route a sample or a clean saw thru Filther with MIDI trigger ... (◕‿◕✿) AMAZING!

I will make further tests this week ...

Many thanks.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #89
sai'ke

Quote:

Thanks! And fixed in 1.48!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
That's correct. Sometimes the filter jumps out of filtering and starts again if you click at the input/output or the waveshaper panel.
The MIDI timing is stunning. This is such a fun to just route a sample or a clean saw thru Filther with MIDI trigger ... (◕‿◕✿) AMAZING!

I will make further tests this week ...

Many thanks.
Jumps out of filtering? You mean the filter gets bypassed? Or there is suddenly no sound?

I'd be very interested in fixing this if I can find a way to reproduce it. I tried clicking the dynamics window, the waveshaper, but haven't been able to get it to either drop the sound or bypass the filter.

---

Changelog 1.50
- Big refactor of the code in preparation of the last thing that I want to add: A second filter that can be applied in series. Note that technically, you can fire it up already, but please don't because the routing is still subject to change. I have marked the filter 2 options with (DO NOT USE) for now. If you have any trouble with any of your existing presets, make sure that sliders marked with DO NOT USE are 0.
- This is the last time I change the slider numbers, I promise! Also, I ran out, so I couldn't add more even if I wanted to

I tested it, running at least all the presets that I've made myself so far, but still, 1.50 may be bumpy because it was a huge refactor. Please report any bugs that you encounter asap. I appreciate the continued patience

Thank you!

Last edited by sai'ke; 01-14-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #90
Eliseat

Quote:
Thanks! And fixed in 1.48!

Jumps out of filtering? You mean the filter gets bypassed? Or there is suddenly no sound?

I'd be very interested in fixing this if I can find a way to reproduce it. I tried clicking the dynamics window, the waveshaper, but haven't been able to get it to either drop the sound or bypass the filter.

---

Changelog 1.50
- Big refactor of the code in preparation of the last thing that I want to add: A second filter that can be applied in series. Note that technically, you can fire it up already, but please don't because the routing is still subject to change. I have marked the filter 2 options with (DO NOT USE) for now. If you have any trouble with any of your existing presets, make sure that sliders marked with DO NOT USE are 0.
- This is the last time I change the slider numbers, I promise! Also, I ran out, so I couldn't add more even if I wanted to

I tested it, running at least all the presets that I've made myself so far, but still, 1.50 may be bumpy because it was a huge refactor. Please report any bugs that you encounter asap. I appreciate the continued patience

Thank you!
I meant the same thing as Sju. No worries.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #91
foxAsteria

@Sai'ke - maybe you've noticed and not too important, but the last handful of updates all have this big long chunk of updates text that's the same each time.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #92
sai'ke

Uh yeah, thanks for the heads up, I've been meaning to split that out into multiple lines

Also, what is this? I don't remember that being there! :O

Also, now I've officially run out of sliders
Time to let it stabilize with whatever last bugs pop up, maybe do a few performance improvements here and there where possible and then round it up.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #93
foxAsteria

Er well, I had one more idea...when you say you implemented some of these filters "from papers," do you mean schematics? In which case, how hard would it be to add a schematic from a vintage wah pedal? They look pretty simple, only a lot of variations. I've been trying to use Filther for this, since there are not a lot of good wah vst's out there and with this you could do abnormal things with it. Narsty and Modulator are working pretty good though...

On that note, when I try to learn one of the sliders with mod range to my MIDI controller, moving the control always makes the mod % parameter show up as last touched, regardless of whether I move it with RMB or LMB. There's also a lot of "zipper" action when modulating the cutoff via MIDI. Maybe needs a little inertia?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:53 AM   #94
Sju

Another couple of bugs:

- Tempo synced modulation rate parameter doesn't recall properly
- Tempo synced modulation rate slider is weird in the rightmost values (doesn't always reach the fastest rates)

FR:

- When moving a cutoff so that the modulation range goes out of bounds, just cap it at the min/max, instead of changing the amount, so that when you bring it up/down again, the range is retained.

- Would be neat if you could move the min and max values for modulation separately of each other, and then move both around by dragging the bar between them. When looking for a sweet spot, I find myself constantly going back and forth with cutoff and range adjustment, because changing one alters the other.

- Reset modulation range to zero with double right-click?

Cheers!

Last edited by Sju; 01-16-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:21 AM   #95
Eliseat

- The LFO modulation should be set to be centered at the cutoff frequency. At the moment it moves inside the modulation range + or - what doesn't feel right. A sinus for example travels thru null to positive and negative values. Hence the LFO modulation should act like this and without the need of a positive or negative bias at the cutoff slider. LFO modulation range should just change how far the LFO travels out of the center of the actual cutoff frequency even without setting a modulation bias.

- The LFO frequency doesn't keep its values. If you save a preset at 1/64 speed and recall it, the slider is still at the far right position but the value is only 1/3.

- Though it is already possible to manipulate the cutoff via velocity thru cc it would be awesome to have this ability implemented in Filther. This would be awesome as it would complete this synth like feeling.
EDIT: (After last upgrade 1.54.) Just realized Filther doesn't recognize MIDI parameter link at the moment. It show the modulation indicator but doesn't change the cutoff.

- Some of the unstable filters just mess things up at a certain frequency or resonance. Wouldn't it be possible to decrease the slider (value) range of those filters rather then looking for a limiter kind of solution? (Have no idea. But if I take the Diode Ladder, which really sounds amazing - it stays (now) stable all the way of cutoff frequency if I don't move the resonance above 0.78. So for me this would make sense to cap the resonance at this point and restretch it over the slider or just make the value stop at 0.78 while the slider keeps its course without affecting anymore.)
EDIT: (After last upgrade 1.54.) The diode filter flips at other resonance spot. (Is it signal dependent? )

And finally I can't repeat how crazy and cool your Filther thing is. I made a lot of presets which still feels like its only 0.1 % of whats possible. Swapping the presets is like clicking thru synth presets. Such an impact is just stunning. Its amazing! I LOVE IT! (òÓ,)_\,,/

Last edited by Eliseat; 01-16-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:17 AM   #96
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Er well, I had one more idea...when you say you implemented some of these filters "from papers," do you mean schematics?
Yes, but it was painful and I still don't have any guarantee how close it got because I don't have the real hardware.

Quote:
In which case, how hard would it be to add a schematic from a vintage wah pedal? They look pretty simple, only a lot of variations.
I've been trying to use Filther for this, since there are not a lot of good wah vst's out there and with this you could do abnormal things with it.
Narsty and Modulator are working pretty good though...
It may be possible. I'll look in literature first, someone probably already did the heavy lifting for such a thing.
I always thought a wah pedal was just a pretty generic resonant lowpass or bandpass filter and it was the modulation that gave it that wahwah-eyness.
EDIT: Yes found one. It looks like it'll take a while to implement, but maybe when I find a bigger chunk of time I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
On that note, when I try to learn one of the sliders with mod range to my MIDI controller, moving the control always makes the mod % parameter show up as last touched, regardless of whether I move it with RMB or LMB.
Ah, that sounds annoying. I will see what I can do about this. I'm not sure how reaper identifies what was last touched.

Quote:
There's also a lot of "zipper" action when modulating the cutoff via MIDI. Maybe needs a little inertia?
Hmmmm. I really don't want inertia as a default. There was inertia before, but this limits the resolution by a lot. It also caused the sweeping artefacts that were in Eliseat's earlier demos.
The zipper artefacts should not be there once you record it and play it back. They should also not be there when you operate the sliders in the GUI.
That said, it does sound like an issue worth investigating. I wonder if there's a way to differentiate between slider being controlled by the user and being controlled by automation (as the former needs inertia of 1 block and the latter should have none).
I don't have any sliders left to store a variable inertia. I might be able to stick a toggle in there somewhere.

Quote:
Another couple of bugs:
- Tempo synced modulation rate parameter doesn't recall properly
- Tempo synced modulation rate slider is weird in the rightmost values (doesn't always reach the fastest rates)
Is this on 1.54 that I uploaded yesterday night? Because I did fix something with the rightmost value and recall yesterday afaik.

Quote:
- When moving a cutoff so that the modulation range goes out of bounds, just cap it at the min/max, instead of changing the amount, so that when you bring it up/down again, the range is retained.
There would be a small performance penalty to this (because then I have to start checking bounds at the sample level), but this could in principle be done.

Quote:
- Would be neat if you could move the min and max values for modulation separately of each other, and then move both around by dragging the bar between them. When looking for a sweet spot, I find myself constantly going back and forth with cutoff and range adjustment, because changing one alters the other.
Yeah, I know. I want this too, but insufficient sliders.

Quote:
- Reset modulation range to zero with double right-click?
This can be done.

Quote:
- The LFO modulation should be set to be centered at the cutoff frequency. At the moment it moves inside the modulation range + or - what doesn't feel right. A sinus for example travels thru null to positive and negative values. Hence the LFO modulation should act like this and without the need of a positive or negative bias at the cutoff slider. LFO modulation range should just change how far the LFO travels out of the center of the actual cutoff frequency even without setting a modulation bias.
Afaik, if there is no dynamic value, the modulation is centered at the cutoff value. The total range when modulating is 2x that of the dynamic range.
Initially I felt the same, in that the added ranges are a bit confusing. But seeing the full extent of the dynamics seemed more important than the modulation alone.
I also tried making the dynamic variable 0.5 of the total range when modulation is active, but this made it much harder to do A/B testing with and without modulation.

Quote:
- The LFO frequency doesn't keep its values. If you save a preset at 1/64 speed and recall it, the slider is still at the far right position but the value is only 1/3.
Is this 1.54? It is possible that due to the introduction of the new sliders, some options shifted. This is a bit of a nuisance in jsfx that the sliders are not handled by name, but by order of the active ones. May have to resave some presets after setting them. If I'd make another jsfx, I'd make sure to occupy all 64 sliders from the get go to never have this issue again.

Quote:
- Though it is already possible to manipulate the cutoff via velocity thru cc it would be awesome to have this ability implemented in Filther. This would be awesome as it would complete this synth like feeling.
Hm. So you mean velocity modulating dynamic variable? This should be doable.

Quote:
- Some of the unstable filters just mess things up at a certain frequency or resonance. Wouldn't it be possible to decrease the slider (value) range of those filters rather then looking for a limiter kind of solution? (Have no idea. But if I take the Diode Ladder, which really sounds amazing - it stays (now) stable all the way of cutoff frequency if I don't move the resonance above 0.78. So for me this would make sense to cap the resonance at this point and restretch it over the slider or just make the value stop at 0.78 while the slider keeps its course without affecting anymore.)
Yeah, this had occurred to me too. And I did this for all of them without waveshaper. But stability depends on the waveshaper, amount of modulation, input signal and a few other factors.
I also don't really like the idea of ranges changing when you're changing the waveshaper (not to mention that I'd have to somehow store that info outside the slider values with all the potential bugs that brings with).
Which filters are you having issues with? If I have reproducible blowups, I can study what is going on exactly and maybe solve the problem at the core, rather than limit the functionality. With the SWRs for instance, this limiting had virtually no effect on the sound, but made the filter a lot more stable.

Quote:
And finally I can't repeat how crazy and cool your Filther thing is. I made a lot of presets which still feels like its only 0.1 % of whats possible. Swapping the presets is like clicking thru synth presets. Such an impact is just stunning. Its amazing! I LOVE IT! (òÓ,)_\,,/
Ghehe, thanks. I would also recommend pairing it with a convolutional cabinet simulator. This is what I often do.

Last edited by sai'ke; 01-16-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #97
Eliseat

See, this is a sinus without any modulation bias from the dynamics panel. It doesn't move like expected. In my opinion it should center at the cutoff frequency.

The slider-value thing is fixed in the 1.54. ( ´∀`)b

As always - great job! But don't let you get under to much pressure. We Filther-lover are like hyenas and scent programmer weakness for miles against the wind. So ... take care.

Greetings
ELi
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #98
foxAsteria

Thanks for looking into that stuff, Sai'ke! As far as testing the wah sound, Hendrix used tons of wah and it always sounded amazing. Maybe I can find some tracks where there is an isolated guitar sound that could be run through the filter for comparison.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #99
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Hendrix used tons of wah and it always sounded amazing.

heh-so did miles davis on trumpet! sounds phat as funk.
(but,people also copied some of hendrix's 'mistakes'..) lol.
some of these filter types can even work well with orchestral pieces.. lp's can really shave some of the brilliance from harsher sounding top ends.
will do further tests-once all additions have been decided upon,and implemented.
thanx sai'ke!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #100
Sju

Quote:
Is this on 1.54 that I uploaded yesterday night? Because I did fix something with the rightmost value and recall yesterday afaik.
Hmm nope sorry, strangely I had the earlier version without the second filter, although I did a ReaPack sync after I read about the update. The new version loads the synced rate correctly.

The new version seems to have another bug though: when a project loads, it has way more gain than before, but it resets back to normal after I open the GUI again. Attached an FxChain that should repro it.

Quote:
There would be a small performance penalty to this (because then I have to start checking bounds at the sample level), but this could in principle be done.
Ah. Can't be done in the @slider block?

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I want this too, but insufficient sliders.
Damn

Quote:
This can be done.
Thank you!

Quote:
On that note, when I try to learn one of the sliders with mod range to my MIDI controller, moving the control always makes the mod % parameter show up as last touched
Yep same with trying to show last touched control's automation lane. Mod% instead of Cutoff.
Attached Files
File Type: rfxchain filther test.RfxChain (768 Bytes, 151 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #101
foxAsteria

Cool! The learn function is working correctly.

But...default window size now cuts off LFO.

Would it be ok to increase the second multiplier to x10 instead of x4? Max times are sometimes still a bit short for me.

How did you get that second filter in there? I thought there weren't anymore sliders? No complaints, obviously...double the filthy fun!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #102
sai'ke

Quote:
How did you get that second filter in there? I thought there weren't anymore sliders? No complaints, obviously...double the filthy fun!
I think you were delayed by one update. The post about the sliders running out was after that extra bank. They made the sliders run out . Went with x8 instead of x10, since x10 looked hideous

Inertia prototype is in. I dinked around a bit with a midi controller, it seems ok. It detects how fast you're moving and depending on that is quicker to move with. Adaptive inertia I guess.

Quote:
Do you perhaps have a way to reproduce this thing with the diode ladder? Preferably on 1.60. I can't seem to find an input with which this happens.

Your LFO request from earlier can be found under the center button btw. Velocity not yet.

Quote:
I had another look at this, and this would require quite some fiddling with the potential to make bugs. The reason it is trickier than it may seem is because I express the dynamic mod slider as a range from -1 to 1, where 1 equates to all the dynamic range from cutoff to the furthermost right point and -1 the same for left. The reason I did this was because it would make automating it easier (no moving center). For now I shelved it until I have a good idea how to do this without duplicating a bunch of state.

Last edited by sai'ke; 01-17-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #103
foxAsteria

Noice! You da man, man!
Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 PM   #104
Eliseat

Quote:
For now I shelved it until I have a good idea how to do this without duplicating a bunch of state.
Two weeks ago I wouldn't have understand what you mean here. But I just started programing (raw beginner) an extension and experienced the same thinking. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216099 Just a simple feature like creating the time difference between string A and B took nearly 1/5 of the code. (Though I'm pretty sure this could be done much more cleverly.) But that is always something you have to mess with.

Anyway. Filther! This new center feature makes it feel alright. Many thanks for that. That makes more sense and offers a way better handling of automation, modulation and LFO at the same time. And it behaves pretty good if the boundaries are reached. Amazing! (。♥‿♥。)

There is no day I don't open Filther for at least a few minutes to let the bass waves wabble thru my belly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke
Do you perhaps have a way to reproduce this thing with the diode ladder? Preferably on 1.60. I can't seem to find an input with which this happens.
Yeah, I noticed that this was only a specific moment. Sorry for that misleading info. It depends on sound frequencies and input/output wave shaping settings. I tried the same filter with a hihat (dynamically with velocity) to see how this works and I wasn't able to raise the resonance. So yes, this obviously can't get managed with a fixed value or a specific range as those are changing with every new situation.
By the way. You meant, you think about implementing a limiting option for that. How could this be done? I experienced that in such cases the resonance just explodes and resonates for seconds (sometimes minutes) even if you turn the volume or the resonance down. (Auto mute inclusive.) Would it be possible to monitor the consistence of the signal to stop the resonance at a certain point of self resonating? I suspect if you only limit the signal it will not stop Filther from being irresponsible. I have no idea of how to handle it.
I remember using a plugin with self ringing filters which then got ducked/limited if it went to far and also kind of sucked the resonating tone away if you took the resonance value down.

Last edited by Eliseat; 01-18-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #105
sai'ke

Argh. I wrote a rather large reply, but REAPER forum's autologout feature just tanked it. I dislike that it doesn't store what you typed if you are logged out ;__;.

I'll try to rewrite more briefly what I have written before.

1. Stability and self-oscillation (oscillation without input) are two separate things. Although they're related, when I speak about instability, I mean cases where the sound just stops. The signal goes to positive or negative infinity and that's it. These cases are the ones that should really be 'fixed' if they are still there.

2. Self-oscillation is not necessarily an undesirable property to me. Self-oscillation happens in analog gear as well. What I could make is a panic shortcut on the keyboard that resets the filter state (if this would help). Currently, what you can do is just set it to that filter again. Any filter change (even to the same one) will reset the internal filter state.

3. You can clip the output with the output clipper to protect your ears and equipment. Once you settle in on a tone, turn it off. The clipping I was talking about in the filter context to avoid stability has nothing to do with output clipping. Instability arises when the feedback starts to increase the signal indefinitely. (Soft)-clipping the feedback can often tame this behaviour, and actually, in a lot of analog circuits, feedback clipping is a thing (diode clippers are often used).

4. Ducking might be possible, and could be based on the RMS estimate of the input. It'd always introduce some weird transient effects though and is probably not that useful (over say clipping) since you wouldn't want ducking effects in your actual audio.

5. Some synths / filter designs lower the output gain when increasing the resonance. This is easy to do in a linear filter, but becomes complicated when there are non-linear elements in the filter. For cases where there is only a fixed non-linearity, one can make input/output curves and correct for gain increases. However, considering that there is a completely freely selectable non-linear elements in a fair few of these filters (the spline waveshaper), it becomes impossible to calculate such a gain compensation analytically for quite a few of these filters. Flexibility comes at a price.

6. Resonance should go down again (even in the case of self oscillation) if you lower the resonance. In some cases, you may have to lower it a lot (potentially even zero if you're using the spline wave-shaper). If you can give me a case where it doesn't, I'd be interested in studying it.

7. I can see one thing that you may want to avoid if you don't like loud bitey resonance; namely high slopes in the spline waveshaper. Large slopes there could lead to a high gain for some of the filters where the waveshaper is in the feedback mechanism (such as the SWR ones). Ending the curve with a high slope could even lead to instability if it wasn't for feedback clipping.

I am planning on making a testfile where I run the filter through various types of audio (noise, low freq, high freq, bandpass sections,
nasty squares etc) to do some more testing. If you have audio clip and setting combinations where you spot misbehaviour, please let me know.
They'd be useful as case studies.

As for 'misbehavior' detection, by the time you have enough data to detect it, you're already too late. :P
Old 01-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #106
Eliseat

So sorry for your bad luck with the auto logout function.

But the second text doesn't seem to be much shorter. Those are interesting facts, and if I try to describe something related to Filther or filters its only guessing and straight out of my imagination. So don't take it to seriously. My lack of knowledge is gigantic as I see your post about all this background knowledge. But I learned a lot. For example that self resonating (what I also like in certain manner) isn't then same as an infinity audio level.

I think the test file approach would be the best to learn more about how and when this happens. After that we will only call you grand master of filtering.

Many thanks
Old 01-19-2019, 05:58 AM   #107
TonE

Quote:
I just set up synth1 and made a short sequence. It works like expected (the sound is just amazing!) but ...

By the way: Its such a cool feeling to play MIDI notes and run a plain saw tooth thru Filthers routine. So much fatness! Many thanks for your amazing work.
Can you make youtubes?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #108
TonE

Quote:
Changelog 1.50
- Big refactor of the code in preparation of the last thing that I want to add: A second filter that can be applied in series.
What is the difference to opening Filther in series? We could have even 4. What is the gain here?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:10 AM   #109
TonE

Quote:
Er well, I had one more idea...when you say you implemented some of these filters "from papers," do you mean schematics?
Papers are normally scientific publications, on any 'researched' topics. Usually pdf documents generated using latex.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #110
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
What is the difference to opening Filther in series? We could have even 4. What is the gain here?
1. CPU cost. Filther upsamples once, then waveshapers and filters, then downsamples. If you had 4, you'd be upsampling and downsampling four times. Considering filther is pretty hungry, this can be pretty important.
2. The two can use the same dynamics variable, hence have linked automation.
3. Cleaner. In series it would also not be the same. It depends on the filter, but the following processing series can happen (it's still on the to-do list to visualize this somewhere on the plug):
Waveshaper => Filter 1 => Filter 2
Filter 1 => Waveshaper => Filter 2
Filter 1 / Waveshaper inside => Filter 2

Filter 2 never uses the waveshaper, so it can usually be used to clean up the sound coming from Filter 1 and carve the harmonics a bit before the downsampling and output. Whenever you do lowpassing with filter 2, you also reduce aliasing.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #111
Eliseat

Quote:
3. Cleaner. In series it would also not be the same. It depends on the filter, but the following processing series can happen (it's still on the to-do list to visualize this somewhere on the plug):
Waveshaper => Filter 1 => Filter 2
Filter 1 => Waveshaper => Filter 2
Filter 1 / Waveshaper inside => Filter 2

Filter 2 never uses the waveshaper, so it can usually be used to clean up the sound coming from Filter 1 and carve the harmonics a bit before the downsampling and output. Whenever you do lowpassing with filter 2, you also reduce aliasing.
Oh, oh, oh! This sounds promising. The second filter is also nice to tighten sounds up to make them "knusprig" like a German would say.

Just listen! https://instaud.io/3c38 (。♥‿♥。)~♪
Old 01-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #112
Eliseat

Sai'ke

Just a few suggestions.

- The ramp down LFO is some kind of not aligned to the MIDI clock. Its supposed to create tight spikes in the rhythm like a 1/16 fast rhythm over a 1/8 MIDI input. But this is not working as the LFO is shifted in time. (Its offset is wrong i guess. So the ramp doesn't start at 0 but at 50 % or something.)

- I made a lot new presets and something come to mind what would be a great option. Its the ability to separate the LFO from dynamics. If you want to use a second filter only for coloring with a nice cutoff sinus LFO sweep but without dynamical influence its not possible at the moment. In my opinion it could be just two little switches right next to the filter box title to turn on/off "DYN" or "LFO".

- Today I ran into a total overflow of Filther. As I described already I wasn't able to do anything. Neither changing the filter type nor turning resonance or output down. The channel was auto muted for about a minute and while I was trying to turn it on again a sudden crackle or explosion like sound appeared and everything was okay.
I was not able to reproduce it. It happened when I turned the waveshaper on in dynamics. I did the same again afterwards but this time it didn't happen.

- Another thing I recognized was that the newer presets have the filter II controls at null. But your older presets have them to max which means that someone who doesn't take care and turns on the second filter gets a 100% resonance.
Maybe this could be changed in batch mode, I don't know.

Anyway, the more I play with Filther, the more I get astound. The second filter option is such a boost in shaping and fatness. Take a phaser like filter in slot 1, a nice second LP filter and turn the waveshaper to something really nasty and you get sounds like in wavetable synths. If we could run the second filter only with LFO this would be even more "knarzing".

https://instaud.io/3c7h My head! This is so hard and fat!
Old 01-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #113
daxliniere

Man, this looks fascinating! Looking forward to testing. Thanks Sai'ke!!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #114
Bri1
Banned

Quote:

really nice additions

is there a chance for parallel mode for that 2nd filter? cutoff linking also?

double the filthtration- so gnarly--growing fonder of the voodoo....

do you see and end to adding functions soon sai'ke,or will this be a filter library that gets updates with new filter types over time<><>?
only asking as-it would seem more sensible for all to 'test out' a finalized,sai'ki approved,working prototype..!
cheerz-loving this 1 as it develops!

Last edited by Bri1; 01-20-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: type0
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #115
daxliniere

Would you add a Randomise button, please?
That was one of my favourite features on plugins like Crazy Ivan. (That thing is mental)

Also, the tooltips are great, but it would be better if the font size was double.

Oooh, and a way to inverse link pre-/post-gain.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:59 AM   #116
sai'ke

Just a quick post to let you all know that I am still working on this baby. I will keep it short. I'd rather spend time actually improving the filter than writing long posts

Changelog:
- Using MIDI velocity can be found under MIDI2 now.
- Did a lot of stability tweaks. Hopefully less issues with the SWRs and expensive moog now. Considering getting rid of the cheapo version of the moog since it is horribly unstable (essentially just uses a wrong jacobian).
- I cheapened the BP version of the wasp-like filter. Technically, this introduces small errors in the solution procedure, but I can't tell the difference on any audio sample I've tried.
- Added another Kr0g version which is more stable and can handle higher cutoffs.
- Modified the default presets to not have the resonance of the second filter set to max on start . Might have to reload them for this though, not sure if REAPER updates this automatically.

To do list:
- Parallel filter mode I will look into.
- Randomize button should be doable.
- Inversily linking gains should be possible.
- Ramp down I will check.
- DYN/LFO buttons per filter require some refactoring. I'm also rapidly running out of parameter storage. Packing them is what I've been doing, but I'm running out of combinations of settings that are still sensibly related somehow. I will try, but no promises.
- Total overflow would be interesting to find reproducible conditions for. I suspect that somewhere, deep down, there may still be a gremlin lurking that rears its ugly head rarely. It would be great to nip it in the bud but for that I do need reproducible conditions.
- Wahwah filter. All I'm finding are pretty expensive models though, so expect this to become a CPU hog.
- Add anti-aliased version of tanh and fast tanh for cleaner output.

Unrelated:
I do like the audio clips being uploaded. I can put some of them on the first post as demo's if you like.

Last edited by sai'ke; 01-22-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #117
Eliseat

Quote:
Unrelated:
I do like the audio clips being uploaded. I can put some of them on the first post as demo's if you like.
I'm also planning to make a video to show the wide range of Filther's sound spectrum. I have a lot of presets already. And the MIDI trigger implementation was the absolute game changer. Now you can use plain waveforms from synth1, reaSynth or RSO5k (samples) and use Filther as an "Waveshaping Synth". The sounds that can be created are unbelievable rich and unique. And did someone try Filther with a guitar? That also turned out very unexpected and useful. But everything raises and falls with the input level.

Greetings
Eli
Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #118
daxliniere

Merci Joep!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #119
Eliseat

Quote:
Just a quick post to let you all know that I am still working on this baby. I will keep it short. I'd rather spend time actually improving the filter than writing long posts

Changelog:
- Using MIDI velocity can be found under MIDI2 now.
- Did a lot of stability tweaks. Hopefully less issues with the SWRs and expensive moog now. Considering getting rid of the cheapo version of the moog since it is horribly unstable (essentially just uses a wrong jacobian).
- I cheapened the BP version of the wasp-like filter. Technically, this introduces small errors in the solution procedure, but I can't tell the difference on any audio sample I've tried.
- Added another Kr0g version which is more stable and can handle higher cutoffs.
- Modified the default presets to not have the resonance of the second filter set to max on start . Might have to reload them for this though, not sure if REAPER updates this automatically.

To do list:
- Parallel filter mode I will look into.
- Randomize button should be doable.
- Inversily linking gains should be possible.
- Ramp down I will check.
- DYN/LFO buttons per filter require some refactoring. I'm also rapidly running out of parameter storage. Packing them is what I've been doing, but I'm running out of combinations of settings that are still sensibly related somehow. I will try, but no promises.
- Total overflow would be interesting to find reproducible conditions for. I suspect that somewhere, deep down, there may still be a gremlin lurking that rears its ugly head rarely. It would be great to nip it in the bud but for that I do need reproducible conditions.
- Wahwah filter. All I'm finding are pretty expensive models though, so expect this to become a CPU hog.
- Add anti-aliased version of tanh and fast tanh for cleaner output.

Unrelated:
- MIDI2 mode has no hold control. (at least you can't change it but take it from MIDI1) But the velocity feature makes it really versatile. So much color and movement! ヽ(♡‿♡)ノ

- since pre last version, while zapping the presets the delay jumps to 26000 and doesn't come down till it begins crackle a few minutes later. Have no idea what causes it. (works again after reload or a longer pause)

- I had a strange GUI glitch but also without any reproducible info for you.

- and finally I had a preset which lets the LFO send impulse like signals which seems to be fixed now.

Yes, you call it your baby. It can cry like hell but also giggle smoothly. And you have to make sure to always touch it gently if you don't want to make it raging.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #120
sai'ke

That UI glitch worries me as it smells of some memory corruption (which is notoriously tricky to debug). Bri1 has had some similar ones too in the past. Especially the fact that the zero is not at zero strikes me as odd. But it's also a clue as to where to look.

Even remembering the filter/waveshaper/mode you came from and the filter/waveshaper/mode you went to would be helpful information. Even if not fully reproducible, it reduces the number of things I have to play with.

What do you mean by delay jumps? pdc_delay? Do you remember which filter it was on? For debugging pdc_delay issues relevant info is: filter type, FIR on or off, oversampling ratio and RMS time.

Last edited by sai'ke; 01-22-2019 at 10:12 AM.