Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
moogyboy
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple UMC1820 interfaces with ASIO4ALL?

hi all

Loyal Reaper user here again...I have a Behringer UMC1820 and so far loving it. I'm looking to start using all 8 inputs and outputs along with a recently acquired Mackie SR24.4 VLZ Pro mixer for OTB work. I'm intrigued by limiting myself to just 8 "tape" tracks but I'm also looking down the road towards expanding to 16 tracks, along with a bigger and better console. I know that ASIO4ALL has the capability to aggregate multiple interfaces (and may be better overall than the factory driver) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that multiple interfaces of the same make and model may be a problem for it to handle. I'd like to keep them the same for consistency sake. Does anyone have any experience with running two identical interfaces simultaneously under ASIO4ALL, and if possible the UMC1820 in particular? Info much appreciated...

cheers

Billy S.
moogyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 AM   #2
Stella645

If it did work the two devices would not be running from the same clock which is not a good idea.

You'd be better off using something like an ADA8200 connected to the adat i/o.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogyboy View Post
hi all

Loyal Reaper user here again...I have a Behringer UMC1820 and so far loving it. I'm looking to start using all 8 inputs and outputs along with a recently acquired Mackie SR24.4 VLZ Pro mixer for OTB work. I'm intrigued by limiting myself to just 8 "tape" tracks but I'm also looking down the road towards expanding to 16 tracks, along with a bigger and better console. I know that ASIO4ALL has the capability to aggregate multiple interfaces (and may be better overall than the factory driver) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that multiple interfaces of the same make and model may be a problem for it to handle. I'd like to keep them the same for consistency sake. Does anyone have any experience with running two identical interfaces simultaneously under ASIO4ALL, and if possible the UMC1820 in particular? Info much appreciated...

cheers

Billy S.

Why so complicated? If you don´t mind using behringer and want to invest in a console and a second audio-Interface, buy a XR 18.
It´s a digital mixing console (18in / 18out) with decent ASIO Drivers.
The pricepoint for two UMC 1820 is just the same as for one RX18.
I am using one as the center of my "studio" along with a Xtouch which wonderfully intergrates within Reaper.

Trying to get 2 Interfaces up and running with Asio4all seem like a waste of time and money in my eyes.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
moogyboy

Perhaps I should clarify a few things:

1) I want to do go through the trouble of all this hardware because I specifically want a traditional-style OTB workflow, using Reaper essentially as a virtual multitrack tape recorder feeding/fed by an analog mixer. I currently have the capability for 8 "tape tracks" through my mixer but I'd like to eventually go to 16.

2) I'm interested more in the additional outputs rather than inputs. Seeing as how the ADA8200 line outs are all XLR, converting them to 1/4 seems like a hassle I'd rather avoid but I will if need be.

3) I don't have a tablet and I have no interest in acquiring one just to install a virtual mixer app. Also not particularly interested in purchasing an XTouch. Outside of Reaper, Audacity, and free plug-ins, I'm trying to move away from software-based or tech-y solutions to everything and towards a more old-school approach, which is where I'm coming from anyway.

Last edited by moogyboy; 01-21-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
drumphil

Either get an ada8200 and 8 xlr to trs adapters, or get something more expensive with TRS outputs.

There really isn't much to consider here.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
moogyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Either get an ada8200 and 8 xlr to trs adapters, or get something more expensive with TRS outputs.

Ok, gotcha. When the time comes I will invest in an ADA8200 since that seems to be the way to go. Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post

i would love it if someone offered a cheap adat / line interface - i already have an ada8200 and it is fine, but i want to link some extra stuff and i don't need mic pre-amps on the ins (or xlr outs like the OP) -an RME ADI-8 would be cool but there doesn't seem like there are any ultra-affordable options?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
Philbo King

An inexpensive experiment:
Connect the SP/DIF output of one 1820 to the SD/DIF input of the second one. See if the clock of the 2nd one locks to the first one. If so, consolidating them might work for you.