Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-17-2023, 11:57 AM   #1
STOP
Human being with feelings

Default v6.78+dev0317 - March 17 2023

v6.78+dev0317 - March 17 2023
  • * Includes feature branch: always running non-bypassed FX when the UI is visible
  • * Includes feature branch: crossfade new recording with existing media items if configured
  • * Includes feature branch: video from background projects
  • * Includes feature branch: FX containers
  • * Includes feature branch: improvements to aligning takes after recording
  • * Includes feature branch: arrange view override mouse modifier sections
  • * Includes feature branch: toolbar armed/special animations
  • * Includes feature branch: pooled and unpooled ARA edits
  • * Includes feature branch: fixed lane comping
  • * Includes feature branch: shortcut import/export improvements and multiple main keyboard sections
  • * Includes feature branch: preview item selection for grouped tracks
  • * Includes feature branch: GR metering as embedded UI for third-party VSTs
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + FX: allow processing multiple plug-ins in parallel
  • + JSFX: make output metering pre-wet/dry/delta-solo
  • + MIDI: name new in-project MIDI items with the track name, regardless of whether the item was recorded or created via action
  • + Media item lanes: double-click outside of comp areas creates a new comp area between the previous and next existing comp areas
  • + Project tabs: add actions to reorder project tabs
  • # Media item lanes: add actions, mouse modifiers to split comp areas with or without snap
  • # Media item lanes: deal with some corner cases that result in media item fragments left behind while editing in comping lane
  • # Media item lanes: fix handling of overlapping comp areas when razor editing
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
STOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:59 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP View Post
  • + FX: allow processing multiple plug-ins in parallel

To use, right click a plug-in, choose "Process FX in parallel to previous FX" etc.

A block of plug-ins will all receive the same input, their outputs will be summed, any non-touched channels will be passed through dry, wet/dry acts as a volume for each plug-in. If delta solo is used it overrides somewhat.

Also the MIDI output for the non-first FX is ignored (but all FX in a parallel block receive the same MIDI input).
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:01 PM   #3
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
To use, right click a plug-in, choose "Process FX in parallel to previous FX" etc.

A block of plug-ins will all receive the same input, their outputs will be summed, any non-touched channels will be passed through dry, wet/dry acts as a volume for each plug-in. If delta solo is used it overrides somewhat.

Also the MIDI output for the non-first FX is ignored (but all FX in a parallel block receive the same MIDI input).
Excellent. This will open quite a few new options.
thanks
Old 03-17-2023, 12:07 PM   #4
RJHollins

very nice feature !

thx
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:07 PM   #5
Vagelis

Quote:
[*]+ FX: allow processing multiple plug-ins in parallel
Nice!

Quote:
v6.78+dev0317 - March 17 2023[*]+ Media item lanes: double-click outside of comp areas creates a new comp area between the previous and next existing comp areas
This was badly needed today in my session and I was about to make a request, you read my mind thanks a lot!

Quote:
v6.78+dev0317 - March 17 2023[*]# Media item lanes: add actions, mouse modifiers to split comp areas with or without snap
Finally, thanks a lot Schwa, it's extremely useful! And also nice to see them in left click context.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:08 PM   #6
_Stevie_

Quote:

[*]+ MIDI: name new in-project MIDI items with the track name, regardless of whether the item was recorded or created via action
Thank you!

Old 03-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #7
Phazma

Quote:

Thanks, a great first step towards facilitating parallel processing!

Still needs a carefully thought through UX, but I am sure a lot of great feedback will come in soon before I can get back to testing it.

And btw, it should be possible to drag an FX into a container from the main FX chain and not swap position like in this gif:
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:28 PM   #8
Vagelis

There's been times that instead of editing a single comp area, I would like to transfer items between multiple editable areas, so that the areas will not get trimmed. But it's a bit tedious to do so for every comp area.

Would it be possible to have an action to set all areas to editable please? This would make editing so more fluid for various cases.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:32 PM   #9
ferropop

This feels so great you guys, thank you for considering these workflow things !!

ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #10
ferropop

Little quirk with lane coloring :

Colors don't propagate to Comp Lane until some sort of edit is done.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:43 PM   #11
benmiller

bug
Attached Images
File Type: gif bug1.gif (63.2 KB, 88 views)
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:30 PM   #12
musicbynumbers

+ FX: allow processing multiple plug-ins in parallel
+ JSFX: make output metering pre-wet/dry/delta-solo

Very cool thanks! I'll give it a go asap!

+ MIDI: name new in-project MIDI items with the track name, regardless of whether the item was recorded or created via action

Thanks! I've not been able to keep up but I can't help but think this stuff should be part of the wildcard prefs we have if it's not already now

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 03-17-2023 at 02:02 PM.
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #13
musicbynumbers

Potentially found a bug with multichannel passthrough not working in parallel mode.

I just tried using the parallel processing on a 4 channel track with two different pieces of audio coming into the track (one on channels 1 and 2, and one on 3 and 4) going into a single parallel plugin with a reasurroundpan at the end.

Even through the plugin just before the reasurroundpan is only set to channels 1 and 2, as soon as you set it to parallel mode, it still blocks channels 3 and 4 getting through.

I was expecting that the parallel mode would still respect channel passthrough and mainly just that the inputs would ignore any plugs before it

EDIT: It seems to only do this when two effects are in parallel mode on channels 1 and 2, it then seems to block 3 and 4. I'll keep testing

I'm now suspecting it might be plugins that have 3 and 4 used as a side chain.. will keep testing

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 03-17-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:28 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post

Potentially found a bug with multichannel passthrough not working in parallel mode.

I just tried using the parallel processing on a 4 channel track with two different pieces of audio coming into the track (one on channels 1 and 2, and one on 3 and 4) going into a single parallel plugin with a reasurroundpan at the end.

Even through the plugin just before the reasurroundpan is only set to channels 1 and 2, as soon as you set it to parallel mode, it still blocks channels 3 and 4 getting through.

I was expecting that the parallel mode would still respect channel passthrough and mainly just that the inputs would ignore any plugs before it
Hmm make a screenshot of the wiring diagram for that track. Or post a sample project using builtin fx.

You can’t have a “single parallel plug-in”, in this implementation, by definition. (I assume you mean two plugins parallel in total, with one marked as such)

At any rate, only channels that are untouched by all parallel plugins are passed through. Mixing the dry signal in those cases would be bothersome and probably inconsistent in many cases.

Last edited by Justin; 03-17-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:43 PM   #15
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:

Hi Justin! Thanks so much for the new feature. So, in the case of MIDI FXs, if the second and subsequent plugins in a block don't output any MIDI and only receive the signal, what would be the utility of the feature in this case? One sometimes needs to process parallel streams of MIDI data and output different things, but from what I understand of your explanation, I am missing something regarding the use MIDI processors. Could you explain it a little more?
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #16
Reflected

Quote:

A new parallel system that doesn't rely on the traditional pin connector system ???
Game changer!!!

*** "Run FX in parallel to previous FX" .

Thank you sooo much for your efforts, I can see a clear and exciting path ahead. (I hope that it is heading in the direction that I believe it is)

can't wait to see the progress. ^_^
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:58 PM   #17
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Hmm make a screenshot of the wiring diagram for that track. Or post a sample project using builtin fx.

You can’t have a “single parallel plug-in”, in this implementation, by definition. (I assume you mean two plugins parallel in total, with one marked as such)

At any rate, only channels that are untouched by all parallel plugins are passed through. Mixing the dry signal in those cases would be bothersome and probably inconsistent in many cases.
Yes, two effects in parallel.

I've narrowed it down a bit to something reproducible

-start with two stereo audio items on a 4 channel track with one item going to 1 and 2 and the other item going to 3 and 4 (separate lanes)

-Put two reaEQs on the track one after the other but both just operating on channels 1 and 2 and are in stereo mode

-Set both to parallel processing

The outcome is that channels 3 and 4 are blocked as soon as there is more than one effect in parallel mode.

It works fine if it's just the one ReaEQ in parallel though.

I might be using it wrong. I thought that you would be able to have multiple effects set to parallel and that the great thing about it would be that they all take their input from the very start of the chain no matter what channels they are on?

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 03-17-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:12 PM   #18
musicbynumbers

This is what the wiring looks like. Looks like channels 3 and 4 don't make it through?

Old 03-17-2023, 03:50 PM   #19
OLSHALOM

Shouldn't tick/untick "fixed item lanes" in right click menu "Track control panel context" work for all selected tracks, as other functions in this menu do?
OLSHALOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:30 PM   #20
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
A new parallel system that doesn't rely on the traditional pin connector system ???
Game changer!!!
Yeah I have never ever seen a feature do that, so this is some very new territory and as you rightly point out opens up some fascinating new areas of functionality. Amazing direction, thank you Justin!

Last edited by MonkeyBars; 03-17-2023 at 07:43 PM.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:50 PM   #21
Daodan

Quote:
...wet/dry acts as a volume for each plug-in.
Cool! Then it would be great to make it more accessible so one can balance parallel layers without clicking on each plugin/container. I mean both FX list in FX chain window and TCP/MCP.
About wet/dry in TCP/MCP. I thought it would be possible to simply show wet parameter in TCP/MCP, but it takes time to set up and takes up a lot of space(https://stash.reaper.fm/46584/dry%20wet%20parameter.png). So maybe it's time for something like this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=244210 (idea 2) ?
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:59 PM   #22
lexaproductions

Quote:
  • + Project tabs: add actions to reorder project tabs
Thank you!!!!!!
Do you foresee API support for this?

lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #23
_Stevie_

Quote:
Just pointing out this could be problematic with Reaticulate, because that FX needs to be in slot 1, followed by the VSTi.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:39 PM   #24
souk21

Quote:
[*]+ FX: allow processing multiple plug-ins in parallel
Very nice! I'm playing with it and I love it! Together with containers it opens up so many new scenarios
It's definitely going to be an everyday tool for me.

Is there an easy way to mix some dry (pre-parallel block) with the output of the block? What I did was to add a dummy pass-through plugin in the parallel block but I might be missing something.
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:58 PM   #25
ovnis

Is it possible to add a logo for fx in parallel or a more distinctive signe?

Actually "ll" is very tiny and it's hard to see the difference between regular FX and FX in parallel. Thx you!

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:01 PM   #26
Rodulf

Hmmmmm.....This may finally allow some very nice modular editing scripts to be created.
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:39 PM   #27
dangguidan

Quote:
[*]+ MIDI: name new in-project MIDI items with the track name, regardless of whether the item was recorded or created via action
It is still recommended to provide options to refresh names in real time. Moving MIDI items up and down is a common operation.
The advantage of this is that in a MIDI editor, it is easy to know which part is currently being edited.
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:09 PM   #28
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Just pointing out this could be problematic with Reaticulate, because that FX needs to be in slot 1, followed by the VSTi.
it wouldn't make sense to make those run in parallel to one another, though?

In fact parallel midi doesn't really make much sense anyway. :/
Old 03-17-2023, 09:10 PM   #29
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
This is what the wiring looks like. Looks like channels 3 and 4 don't make it through?

oops, that's an error in the drawing, 3/4 would get passed through in that instance (the audio works properly).
Old 03-17-2023, 09:22 PM   #30
musicbynumbers

Quote:
oops, that's an error in the drawing, 3/4 would get passed through in that instance (the audio works properly).
To me 3 and 4 are not audible when both plugins on 1 and 2 are active and in parallel mode
Old 03-17-2023, 10:08 PM   #31
lionartiste

Default Thank you

Quote:
No bug report, I just wanted to thank you for the recent new features, Justin And encourage you to persevere in this exciting direction. Seeing Reaper become more producer-oriented and a bit less "nerdy" in its interface is a dream come true. I use it during hours everyday to produce, mix and master my songs live on YouTube, so everything that makes it quicker and more fun will always be welcome.

Reaper rules.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:33 PM   #32
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
To me 3 and 4 are not audible when both plugins on 1 and 2 are active and in parallel mode

post a project, they should be. Here's my test for this case (I fixed the wiring diagram glitch):

(note the passthrough channels are quieter because the parallel ReaEQs end up applying +6dB gain since they are summed)

Last edited by Justin; 03-17-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:29 PM   #33
lexaproductions

Found a consistent crash while editing an Empty Item.
Steps to reproduce:
Right Click on an empty item and try to edit its notes.
Upon clicking "OK" or "APPLY", Reaper Crashes.

This is on a clean Portable install

Code:
Version:               6.78.18_f5326acu (6.78.18_f5326acu)
Code Type:             ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           REAPER [5639]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2023-03-18 02:26:02.921 -0400
OS Version:            macOS 11.4 (20F71)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        1C42979E-F8A0-123C-C23D-D1B5DA059E52

Sleep/Wake UUID:       1C3798E7-F78C-4DB6-9515-6C1C17085B1A

Time Awake Since Boot: 21000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       14000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  reaper  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000001100a6
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [5639]

VM Regions Near 0x1100a6:
--> 
    __TEXT                      102920000-1031c0000    [ 8832K] r-x/r-x SM=COW  /Users/*/REAPER.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER

Application Specific Information:
Performing @selector(onSwellCommand:) from sender REAPERSwell_button 0x11cc3d210

Thread 0 Crashed:: reaper  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000102d54a5c ItemNotesProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 2692
1   com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000102d54a4c ItemNotesProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 2676
2   com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000102d93be4 SwellDialogDefaultWindowProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 444
3   com.apple.AppKit              	0x0000000185593d7c -[NSApplication(NSResponder) sendAction:to:from:] + 456
4   com.apple.AppKit              	0x0000000185593b78 -[NSControl sendAction:to:] + 96
5   com.apple.AppKit              	0x0000000185593a80 __26-[NSCell _sendActionFrom:]_block_invoke + 152
6   com.apple.AppKit              	0x0000000185593970 -[NSCell _sendActionFrom:] + 196
7   com.apple.AppKit              	0x000000018559389c -[NSButtonCell _sendActionFrom:] + 104
8   com.apple.AppKit              	0x0000000185590910 NSControlTrackMouse + 1696
9   com.apple.AppKit              	0x0000000185590244 -[NSCell trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:] + 160
10  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00000001855900b8 -[NSButtonCell trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:] + 740
11  com.apple.AppKit              	0x000000018558f32c -[NSControl mouseDown:] + 636
12  com.apple.AppKit              	0x000000018558d6b4 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _handleMouseDownEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 4384
13  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00000001854fe064 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 2444
14  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00000001854fd46c -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) sendEvent:] + 352
15  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00000001854fc344 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) sendEvent:] + 2568
16  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000102c09e18 -[REAPERapp sendEvent:] + 3088
17  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00000001857c9b78 -[NSApplication _handleEvent:] + 76
18  com.apple.AppKit              	0x000000018536bcd4 -[NSApplication run] + 636
19  com.apple.AppKit              	0x000000018533d71c NSApplicationMain + 1064
20  libdyld.dylib                 	0x0000000182aad450 start + 4

Last edited by lexaproductions; 03-18-2023 at 11:49 AM.
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:48 PM   #34
bwsd

Quote:

[*]+ JSFX: make output metering pre-wet/dry/delta-solo
How to make it?
bwsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:36 AM   #35
creal

Default Mark all FX that process the same signal at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Is it possible to add a logo for fx in parallel or a more distinctive signe?

Actually "ll" is very tiny and it's hard to see the difference between regular FX and FX in parallel. Thx you!

I agree, and also think that the "logo" should be on all parallel FX, which means not only the one that processes in parallel according to the previous one. We should select at least two consecutive FX, tick "process FXs in parallel" in the right-click menu, and both should be marked with a logo or anything else that should be clear to the user. Otherwise, as it is currently working, the first FX can be considered as hierarchically superior to the second one, although the signal flows at the same time in both FX.

I don't know if I'm very clear or if that makes sense to you. Please comment.
creal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:01 AM   #36
Phazma

Quote:
It does make sense. For example when layering various virtual instruments on the same track which should be processed through different FX chains.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:03 AM   #37
_Stevie_

Quote:
it wouldn't make sense to make those run in parallel to one another, though?

Ah maybe I was misunderstanding. I thought the MIDI wouldn’t reach the VSTi anymore, when you add a parallel FX chain after Reaticulate + VSTi.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:12 AM   #38
n997

Quote:
[...]
Related to this, and what Phazma said a couple of posts above: in some genres [and workflows], it's common to send same MIDI to several instruments to make layered sounds.

For example:
Code:
MIDI source ------------ MIDI instrument
               \ 
                \------- MIDI instrument
                 \
                  ------ MIDI instrument
At the point of instruments, MIDI signal is "parallel".
Not sure if that is the same as what you or _Stevie_ mean by parallel MIDI, though.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:18 AM   #39
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
Related to this, and what Phazma said a couple of posts above: in some genres [and workflows], it's common to send same MIDI to several instruments to make layered sounds.

For example:
Code:
               \ 
                \------- MIDI instrument
                 \
                  ------ MIDI instrument
Not sure if that is the same as what you or _Stevie_ mean by parallel MIDI, though.
it makes a lot of sense and very useful for layered instruments
Old 03-18-2023, 01:31 AM   #40
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post

For example:
Code:
               \ 
                \------- MIDI instrument
                 \
                  ------ MIDI instrument
Exactly, that’s what I meant.

Personally for working with layered MIDI instruments however I would prefer to keep the layers on separate tracks (so they are easily accessible and mixable if needed) but hidden inside a folder bus that sends MIDI to all of them and receives audio from all of them more detailled FR here