Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
kailuamusicschool
Human being with feelings

Default Tab to transient and insert midi note

I really want to create an action that will place a specific note of my chosing where tab to transient lands

So far I can do it with two keys by a roundabout way

In the MIDI Editor I have assigned "k" to "Misc Pass through key to main window"

In main "k" is assigned to "Item navigation: Move cursor to next transient in items"

by selecting the midi editor and an item in the main window, I can hit k and then i (standard insert midi note mapping) and it will place a note where the transient is and I can keep going k i k i k i till the cows come home

WAY faster than entering by hand

However, I would LOVE it if this were a single key operation

Also, it places the note on the wrong note row, and I cant figure out the rhyme or reason for which row it places it on.

Id love to be able to make this a single key, and to have it target a note row specifically...what can I do?
kailuamusicschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

I didn't test, so flying blind:
Try to do a custom action in the MIDI editor section with both

- pass through key to main window
- insert note

and bind it to "k".

Might work. *crosses fingers*

The target note is always the note row that's highlighted in the piano roll. Using the default theme it is colored with a very faint red(ish). Problem 1: inside a time selection it is invisible . Problem 2: There is no easy way to put it somewhere you like with actions. You can move it up/downward relative to it's current position (filter for "active position") and you can insert relative to this pitch (filter "insert current"), but can't tell Reaper "make C3 the active note row" .
A tedious workaround is to use multiple "Increase active position one octave, so you know it's at the very top and then decrease again to put it to the desired pitch (or vice versa).

Last edited by gofer; 03-09-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: adding the active position stuff
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Ahh thanks!!! At least it goes in the right place now!

I tried your possible macro earlier, but it didnt work. I was thinking if I was using auto hot key I could tell it to wait a moment, maybe that would do it
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
...tell it to wait a moment, maybe that would do it
This is even more speculative:

Try it with yet another macro, in the main view:
- move to next transient
- Action: Wait ... seconds before next action
bind that with the same key as the MIDI editor macro.

I guess this one needs even more crossed fingers.

If this doesn't work, there is one other thing we can try (other than use AHK). I can upload the Python scripts that do the "Action: Wait..." functions (one liners, actually). You could import into the MIDI section and add one of them (really hope 0.1 does it) to the MIDI macro. My stomach sense gives that a slightly better chance to work, but first try that main section macro.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
The target note is always the note row that's highlighted in the piano roll.

Problem 2: There is no easy way to put it somewhere you like with actions. You can move it up/downward relative to it's current position (filter for "active position") and you can insert relative to this pitch (filter "insert current"), but can't tell Reaper "make C3 the active note row" .
i really wish there were actions to:

-insert a note at the current midi input note (inserts a note corresponding to whatever key you hit on your midi controller)
-move the current note to the last midi input note (moves the current note to whatever key you hit on your midi controller)

would be a great step forward for working with midi.
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
kailuamusicschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
This is even more speculative:

Try it with yet another macro, in the main view:
- move to next transient
- Action: Wait ... seconds before next action
bind that with the same key as the MIDI editor macro.

I guess this one needs even more crossed fingers.

If this doesn't work, there is one other thing we can try (other than use AHK). I can upload the Python scripts that do the "Action: Wait..." functions (one liners, actually). You could import into the MIDI section and add one of them (really hope 0.1 does it) to the MIDI macro. My stomach sense gives that a slightly better chance to work, but first try that main section macro.
No go....perhaps it executes the whole command before passing the key thru
kailuamusicschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
cerberus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post
-insert a note at the current midi input note (inserts a note corresponding to whatever key you hit on your midi controller)
it sounds like the f.r. you want to request is for "step-entry" or "step-editing". it would make entering notes similar to a 303 style step sequencer.

kailuamusicschool, maybe you can append macro "i" to macro "k"...i wonder why gofer suggested to have a pause... wouldn't reaper queue any actions that might be called while it is still locating the transient?
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

The wait actions are sometimes a last straw to make something work. But either way I try they don't help in this case.

I suspect: The insert note command includes a routine which makes the cursor go to the end of the inserted note. It looks like that's the thing getting in the way. Somehow it takes over and puts the cursor back to the note end position, even if it has been moved by the next transient action (if you insert enough wait actions between "next transient" and "insert note" so you can follow visibly, you can see that the cursor goes to the next transient and then hops back to the note end). I'd place a good bet that it would work if insert note didn't move the cursor... (EDIT: this is not accurate, it was happening with a slightly different approach to the macro. But something similar seems to happen)

The closest thing I could make work is first insert the note and then go to the next transient. So, if you put the cursor to the first transient beforehand you can do (in the MIDI editor):

- Insert note at edit cursor
- Pass through key to main window

assigned to the "next transient" shortcut key.
That means, to have it work completely from within the MIDI editor, you still need two commands. You could eg bind both, "k" and "i" to "next transient" in main view. In the MIDI editor bind "k" to "pass through..." and "i" to the above action. Then select the audio item, set focus to the MIDI editor and go k i i i i i i...
It will break though, if the note length is putting the cursor behind the next transient, so if you decide to do this you'll need to use a short length to avoid that (this also applies to the original idea, I figure).

I think we should make the devs aware of this issue, the weird cursor reset is clearly not what I expect to happen.

Last edited by gofer; 03-10-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #9
rvrv

how about "TAB to transient" and than to have something like "RECORD with wait for incoming note" feature...

you could jump around the score using "TAB to transient" and than activate "RECORD with wait for incoming note" and when you are ready play a note or a melody to have it recorded...

unfortunatelly "Wait for note recording" is not implemented yet but you can vote for this feature here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=201067
rvrv is offline   Reply With Quote