Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #41
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
LOL... I still like my SSL Channel.. but Density is probably on every Buss and is AWESOME as an LA for vocals.

And I'm not one to use Presets.... but these ones are actually good... meaning it gets you closer then more Manufacturer presets.
I'm going to give this a shot on some vox tracks on some of the new mixes I'm doing for my new album. I've always liked LA2A on vox and bass guitar.

One thing I have never really liked is early SSL HF EQ. It's too harsh and brittle for my liking. I guess it is OK if you need to add some dirt!!! The LF is good though, very good actually. BootEQ seems to grab the fatness of the SSL LF but gets closer to Neve smoothness on HF at the same time. A winning combo if you ask me!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #42
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
I prefer Density MK II over my SSL buss Comp by Waves....
That's great to hear/read!
I was using the Duende Bus Compressor, then I switched to Waves SSL Bus Compressor, but now, I'm looking for a contender 'cause the Waves one didn't impress me.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #43
airon

NastyVCS has a great compressor and fantastically simple controls. Be sure to turn it on(next to the +12dB button).

Beatifull.

The 12k Air reminds me a bit of the 1973 EQ by Scott. Great tool. He could sell this if it was cross-platform.

Last edited by airon; 06-01-2011 at 05:54 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #44
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
I have to agree with you there already and I've only just started experimenting with these!!

Actually, I ditched Waves a few months back and really haven't missed them at all!
If your looking for an upgrade from the waves ssl buss comp check out the glue. http://www.cytomic.com/products. Its not free but its my favorite rock buss comp by far.

If you want something to complement the analog goodness of BootEQ check out the excellent freebie sonimus SonEQ http://sonimus.com/site/page/downloads/.

Honorable mention goes to Pushtec http://www.leftoverlasagne.com/

For something a little different check out the free elysia Niveau filter (tilt EQ)
http://www.elysia.com/software/niveau-filter/

For free analog character comps check out:

Rough rider http://www.audiodamage.com/downloads...php?pid=ADF002

The Tinbrooketales leveling amps Tls 3127 & 2095 http://www.tinbrooketales.com/

Blockfish http://www.digitalfishphones.com/mai...em=2&subItem=5

Audiocation AC-1 https://www.audiocation.de/en/plugin (1176 sim)

Martin best leveling amp (LA-2A style) http://www.dreamvortex.co.uk/effects/

Last edited by Magicbuss; 06-01-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #45
brainwreck

For us hardware ignorant, raised on plugins type of people, is Density MKII in the neighborhood of one of the famous hardware compressors? Not that it matters, but I'm curious.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #46
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
For us hardware ignorant, raised on plugins type of people, is Density MKII in the neighborhood of one of the famous hardware compressors? Not that it matters, but I'm curious.
I believe its a take on the fairchild. Not sure how faithful it is since I've never used one.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #47
entspeak

Yes, these plugs were some of the first I was discovered after I started using Reaper. I'm excited to give preFIX a try.
entspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #48
vicenzajay

Default Dannii...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
I have just discovered the Variety of Sound plugins thanks to a topic posted by Slops (sorry Slops, no answer to your question yet) and I have to say..... WOW!!!! I am REALLY digging these!

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

I'm playing around with the Nasty DLA at the moment and I LOVE IT! Such texture and richness. I particularly like the chorus effect.

Boot EQ is really nice too. Great for adding some colour.

OK.... I'm off to keep fiddling. Give these a try if you haven't already. Fun stuff and FREE!!
I actually kicked myself when I read your post...not knowing you personally, I still feel as if I've let you down by not praising Booty's plugs more publicly over the years.

His work is simply amazing...the fact that they are free is mindblowing. Please try TeslaPro as well as his Ferric TDS tape emulator...and the Density (hard to find the original version) compressor is simply a must-have in my book. The Density MkII is phenomenal as a buss compressor as well

Jay
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #49
hopi

Dannii

do have look here: http://www.xoechz.at/

made by reaper users... very useful stuff
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #50
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
I believe its a take on the fairchild. Not sure how faithful it is since I've never used one.
The manual doesn't mention any specific emulation IIRC.

"This device ain't modeled after any specific outboard gear but rather incorporates some proven dynamic shaping approaches from the past, combined in a seamless fashion with some much more modern concepts in audio processing - the best of both worlds. Density mkII was primarily designed to work in a typical stereo audio group mixing situation or while summing and to glue all things together in a rather unobtrusive way."

Not that it doesn't act like a Fairchild... I just happened to read this post within a couple days of reading all their manuals. Highly recommended since the manuals do a fine job of both describing usage and the reasoning behind it.

Karbo
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #51
Mudcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmingtone View Post
Every track I record gets treated with FerricTDS. This one and NastyDLA are indespensible to me.
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #52
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
My notebook is a macbook, but my desktop is a hackintosh... and my next one will be a hackintosh too.

I feel much more confortable using Mac OS then Windows (last time I used, I was at XP SP 3)
I know I'm going to get shot for this, but isn't WINE for Mac(not just Linux)
http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

I have all these plugs running on an Ubuntu machine, so I'd say you should check out wine for mac.
(now back to dannii's thread, sorry)
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #53
Lawrence

Wow, I tried those Danni linked and they are surprisingly nice. I actually had seen pics of those before and always thought they were Synthedit plugs so I didn't really bother with them.

I'm playing around with those plugs on this song that engineer Ken Lewis posted for mixing http://theaudiocave.com/pics/2011-06-01_0835.png and they sound really good, the bus comps. Thanks Danni.

This is why I love Dropbox so much. I put a "freeware plugs" folder there and no matter where I am I can grab my fav freeware plug dll's from one place, like Spitfish and similar, and use them.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #54
Curvespace

Just tried SonEQ. Wow, it's lovely. Wonderful LP and HP filters on there. Might be a new 'track default' for me.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #55
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Dannii

I needed to jump in on this one. These are nice plugins. Nice work hopi! I love the delay and the limiter.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #56
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvespace View Post
Just tried SonEQ. Wow, it's lovely. Wonderful LP and HP filters on there. Might be a new 'track default' for me.
Yeah that guy is very talented. I also have his $40 Satson plug which is great. The filters may even be a bit smoother than the ones on SonEQ.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #57
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The manual doesn't mention any specific emulation IIRC.

"This device ain't modeled after any specific outboard gear but rather incorporates some proven dynamic shaping approaches from the past, combined in a seamless fashion with some much more modern concepts in audio processing - the best of both worlds. Density mkII was primarily designed to work in a typical stereo audio group mixing situation or while summing and to glue all things together in a rather unobtrusive way."

Not that it doesn't act like a Fairchild... I just happened to read this post within a couple days of reading all their manuals. Highly recommended since the manuals do a fine job of both describing usage and the reasoning behind it.

Karbo
Thanks. I must have read that at some point, because I've read the manuals (well put together manuals at that) for all of Bootsy's plugins.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #58
Blastrio

Not only are they the best sounding free plugs out there, even better sounding than a lot of commercial stuff, they're also the best looking. Why these guys give them away for free is a mystery, but hey, we'll take them.
Big thanx to Bootsy and Patrick.
Blastrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #59
junkfood

I love the bootsy plugins. If there were x64 versions I'd be in heaven.
junkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #60
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I needed to jump in on this one. These are nice plugins. Nice work hopi! I love the delay and the limiter.
thanks... glad you like them... I do the GUI's... XoechZ does the code fyi

the tube pre amp is a nice one also....
and the midi filter is super kewl if you need something like that
Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #61
vicenzajay

Default This....

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
x1000 - as I said earlier, I love the plugs....for me, the only "bugginess" in them is in the fact that from time to time they have not played well with Reaper's bridge in x64 Reaper.
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #62
richie43

Quote:
thanks... glad you like them... I do the GUI's... XoechZ does the code fyi

the tube pre amp is a nice one also....
and the midi filter is super kewl if you need something like that
Both pf those ARE very cool, but I have my favs!! I seem to find more and more use for the delay. It has replaced a few of my (former) go-to plugins.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #63
rossh

Thought I'd mention in this thread that I've been having some issues with NastyDLA. It seems it's one of those plugins that runs away with CPU usage when the signal gets very low. The term is Denormal I believe.

I've got it on a snare track and when the signal goes to zero near the end of the song, after about 5 seconds the Performance meter shows the CPU usage on that track going through the roof.

I did read about this kind of thing in another thread and evidently, this plugin is one that does just that. Worth mentioning if it saves someone else time.
rossh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #64
Dannii

Quote:
Dannii

I finally got round to giving these a try. There's some good stuff in there Hopi. The stereo control, limiter and trimmiter and tube preamp are particularly nice.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #65
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossh View Post
Thought I'd mention in this thread that I've been having some issues with NastyDLA. It seems it's one of those plugins that runs away with CPU usage when the signal gets very low. The term is Denormal I believe.

I've got it on a snare track and when the signal goes to zero near the end of the song, after about 5 seconds the Performance meter shows the CPU usage on that track going through the roof.

I did read about this kind of thing in another thread and evidently, this plugin is one that does just that. Worth mentioning if it saves someone else time.
I'm going to have to investigate that further. NastyDLA is my favourite of these so far.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #66
musicbynumbers

Quote:

Thanks for the info I think in the repear prefs for plugins is an option to enable an ultra tiny amount of noise to stop de-normalisation but I think it's on by default anyway
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #67
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Thanks for the info I think in the repear prefs for plugins is an option to enable an ultra tiny amount of noise to stop de-normalisation but I think it's on by default anyway
Yep. Just checked that and it is on here.
Man, I REALLY love NastyDLA. It is fast becoming one of my favourite plugins. It sounds so much like vintage hardware. Reminds me of my days playing with the sound-on-sound function of my old Akai reel to reel through a Boss chorus pedal.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #68
rossh

Yes, it's turned on by default for sure. Unfortunately it isn't helping in this case.

I agree Danni, it does sound excellent when it's under load, but in the quiet it's CPU usage is like a run away train. Amazing to see the performance meter counting up, up, up. The system just chokes. Most unfortunate...
Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #69
Magicbuss

Quote:
Yes, it's turned on by default for sure. Unfortunately it isn't helping in this case.

I agree Danni, it does sound excellent when it's under load, but in the quiet it's CPU usage is like a run away train. Amazing to see the performance meter counting up, up, up. The system just chokes. Most unfortunate...
Digital fishphones has a denormal plugin you could try.
http://www.digitalfishphones.com/mai...em=2&subItem=6
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #70
Dannii

Quote:

Hmmm... seems to be working fine here on my system with REAPER V4 b7 and Win7 32.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #71
mabian

Anyway, denormal plugin should fix it nevertheless.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #72
Dannii

Quote:

I just did a few more tests and sure enough, when I have NastyDLA set with larger feedback settings, I get the CPU spikes when things go quiet too (up to 25 percent CPU use on my dual core laptop with NO OTHER PLUGINS!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Anyway, denormal plugin should fix it nevertheless.

- Mario
Yep. Set to -304dB (default setting) it works a treat. CPU issues gone here. Cheers for the tip.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #73
rossh

Confirmed. The Denormal plugin is the fix. I suspect the digitalfishphones plugin is just a more specific way of doing what the Reaper preferrence does.

A happy ending. Gotta love that!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #74
Curvespace

Excellent info guys - I too really like the Nasty DLA, so I'll be sure to check out the denormalling plug-in.

Half-back on topic (ish), I pulled the trigger on the Satson channel the other day and I think I'm in love. I do most of my EQing and compression during composition/production so to go into the final mix and very quickly be able get the gain/levels sorted properly and then have those lovely HP/LP filters is great. I work faster, use less processing and achieve better results.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #75
plgrmsprgrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Yep, great quality but very buggy. Just run them on dedicated processes (not separate) and you'll be good
I've switched to running them as dedicated processes, but they still make my monitor screen flicker. Any other potential fixes known?

Kyle
Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #76
plgrmsprgrs

----Bump----
Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #77
chip mcdonald

Has anyone seen the meters on Density II freeze (while the transport is stopped), with issues of the volume being altered coming out of it before this occurs?

It sounds great, but this is happening to me at seemingly random instances, I'm thinking it has something to do with x32 bridge mode in x64, since I've had other crashes where the gui vanishes and leaves the generic controls in the menu?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #78
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
Same here.

I also like VCS but as said before, it Denormals too often. The denormal plugin is a good turnaround, but even this way I tend to use other pluggos instead of choosing these two. Maybe it scares me.

It's amazing how many folks praise Density here and elsewhere. I've tried it too many times and always end up using any other compressor. Those mentioned above, RoughRider or the Anwida comp are amongst my first choices. Perhaps for the same reason (and besides the real thing fame and expense) I never liked any Fairchild like comp or approximations.... I'm a weirdo!

I hardly ever use any Bootsy's saturator or Ferric, and Rescue only here and there but I'm a huge addict to his Eqs and transformer simulators. All of them, though the winner is BootEQ. It's always in every single project I mix. At least in one or two channels. Usually more. Cannot wait for the next followup release; Teaser.

PreFix is good and useful, But in many occasions it colors too much. Not the way to go if you want to keep your sound unaltered. Only time/phase aligned.

DLA is fine, but I'm a real addict to Epicverb. One of those plugins present in almost every project.

Last edited by Snap; 07-25-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #79
Third Son

Default still...

A love hate relationship with nasty dla....
Third Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #80
henge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Dannii, also check out Bionic or Analogic delays, if you haven't already. Analogic has a simpler setup, where Bionic has more control. Very cool delay plugs, imo. http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml
I think these delays are clones of the Logic 5 delays...not sure though.