Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
TheGamp
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple track MIDI routing: can volume/pan be adjusted individually?

Hi,

First, thanks to Kenny Gioia for the video series; they've been extremely informative. I tried to look for one to address my specific problem but wasn't sure of the terminology to use, so I'm asking here.

I'm trying to record numerous layers of handclaps from a MIDI drum VSTi over a beat. I know not to load the plugin onto each track's FX loop, but to set up a single track with the VSTi loaded and route all the other tracks with MIDI sequences on them to it.

So far, so good. But I'm finding I'm unable to pan the N handclap tracks nor adjust their volumes relative to the single track with the drum rhythm. I've tried various combinations of the faders (both in the TCP and the individual send/returns) but the tracks all remain at the same volume and centered in the stereo mix. Can anyone clarify how to accomplish this?

Thank you very much,
Bob
TheGamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
eq1

Sounds like you have a drum plug-in, a recorded track with the basic pattern, and you want to overdub some hand claps, in MIDI, and you want to be able to process those claps separately, such as panning and volume. Is this a good paraphrase?

Seems like there's at least a few different ways to do this...

Can't you adjust volume and pan in the drum plug-in itself - have a few different midi channels with the clap sound, each channel with a different pan/volume to suit? That seems like it'd be potentially the easiest or most straight-forward from where you're at, with your midi data ("sequences") being overdubbed on different tracks...
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
TheGamp

Hi eq1,

Yes, though I'm using AD2 for both the claps and the drum beat. I wanted to see if I could get a massive group clap, say ten or twenty tracks worth with slightly different timing, panned all over but volume adjusted to not overpower the drum rhythm.

The plug-in lets me assign handclaps to up to three "flexi" kit pieces; I could probably fiddle with the AD2 mixer and get somewhere further along, but wouldn't I still need to set up multiple tracks with separate instances of the plug-in loaded to get the layering I'd want?

With audio inputs, I can record multiple guitar tracks, run sends to a single track hosting an amp sim, and the TCP controls still work as I expect. Knowing how to implement the same kind of thing with MIDI instruments would be very appealing.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
eq1

Keep in mind that me offering advice is a little like the blind leading the blind - I'm just now getting more into stuff like this, and using midi. So I'm basically learning along with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamp View Post
The plug-in lets me assign handclaps to up to three "flexi" kit pieces; I could probably fiddle with the AD2 mixer and get somewhere further along, but wouldn't I still need to set up multiple tracks with separate instances of the plug-in loaded to get the layering I'd want?
If you only have those 3 extra channels, then yes, you'd need more instances of the plug-in, which I don't think is necessarily a big deal. But can't you customize a kit to have only the clap sound? Say 16 channels of clap on 1 extra track, adjusting pan/volume, etc. in that plug-in, for each channel?

Another suggestion might be to consider trying Reaper's homebrew multi-tap delay effect, maybe have say 4 recorded clap patterns, but add an audio send to a different track for each of these, and add the delay plug-in to them. You can then adjust delay time, volume and pan, etc., in that plug-in and might be able to achieve the same or similar outcome as what you're looking for with multiple distinct clap patterns/tracks...

Last edited by eq1; 01-13-2021 at 03:27 PM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamp View Post

With audio inputs, I can record multiple guitar tracks, run sends to a single track hosting an amp sim, and the TCP controls still work as I expect. Knowing how to implement the same kind of thing with MIDI instruments would be very appealing.
this would rely on MIDI and audio working in the same way, but they don't.

if you want to pan etc. your claps, but still keep them on the same stereo output & MIDI channel as the rest of your kit, then you'll either have to adjust them in the plugin (if it has the capability) or assign them to separate audio outputs
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
TheGamp

Thank you for the advice, folks!