Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #41
Primeval Mudd
Human being with feelings

Chipping in with another +1. To be honest the first time I tried to quantise in Reaper I was a little dismayed that it was so 1994.
Primeval Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #42
hanuman

++1

Although I didn't even imagined that FL Studio has had all of this options of custom quantize templates.

Thanks for the info Jason , now it seems I will have to install my oldie version of FL in the meanwhile (I mean for the time being until Reaper cathes up on this)

A question though, since which version of FL have been all this features available?
hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #43
irium

+1 for groove quantize )
irium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #44
jomtones

Sure this would be easy enough to implement (heh, I say with nearly 0 programming experience!)... my main concern is it should be across the board, so we can use it to quantize audio too.
jomtones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #45
Andywanders

Has any of this been implemented yet..?

Quantise and groove.

Sorry, but I've been missing in action for the past 6 months and am well out of touch with Reaper's development.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #46
Kainer

+1 for this ..

it was in my fls6... since when I don`t know.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #47
Untamed Spirit

bump, been a couple of years, any word on when we can expect this?
Untamed Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 AM   #48
synth

++1 for Custom Groove quantize (humanization)

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #49
Chris Tessmer

Groove templates sound like a fantastic idea!
+1
Chris Tessmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #50
thehuman

+1

A little groove goes a long way.

Last edited by thehuman; 07-10-2008 at 07:15 PM.
thehuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #51
jomtones

Default YES

would love to see this implemented... I can't use MIDI in Reaper for lack of these basic features.

'ghost' / 'clone' alias parts or whatever you wanna call it too please!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #52
Lawrence

+1. Think "markers to groove" where you import, say, a live drummer playing and then set markers on the beats and make those marker spaces into a re-usable groove like what Jason was talking about.

Cubase does that and it works pretty well. You can even quantize midi to live audio. Or extract grooves from midi files like commercial midi drum loops.

Very well done explanation Jason.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #53
jomtones

Yep... 'Reason' has had this sort of clip to groove functionality since like, 2000. I seem to recall Cubase having it since about '94...
Old 07-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #54
halfbeing

Just want to add my +1 here. I sorely need groove quantise for the things I want to do. One of the reasons I so desperately want it is because it is lacking in anything else that will run on Linux. I'm guessing that the reason for this is that it would be tricky to implement. On the other hand it would make Reaper much more attractive to bad musicians. And there are a lot of us around in case you hadn't noticed...

Last edited by halfbeing; 07-13-2008 at 04:51 AM. Reason: typo
halfbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #55
Jae.Thomas

nice to see its been bumped
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #56
Chris_P_Critter

I am very new to MIDI, and honestly didn't know where this type of feature would be handy, until I started programming drum parts for a song I am working on - groove quantize would have been perfect for a few loops I was working with.

I ultimately ended up manually programming the hits in the right spot (turn grid off, manually slide the note around until it's in the right spot, etc.), but it was very time consuming - not as easy as letting the system do it for you!

I now see the light

++1 from me as well, as this would be very helpful!

Disclaimer - being so new to MIDI, I may be misunderstanding what Groove Quantize really does, but it seems like this was exactly what I was after.

Regards,
Chris
Chris_P_Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #57
jomtones

Don't worry Chris you're spot on!

Now just imagine being able to apply iterative amounts of that groove to everything else in your project!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #58
eyes:everywhere

++1 from me

Check out the new Reason 4 Regroove Mixer to see how this is done well. It is truly fantastic. I now program all drums this way and import them into Reaper as audio. If Reaper could introduce a similar groove quantize function I could abandon Reason altogether. Check the video here:

http://www.propellerheads.se/product...vices_regroove
Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #59
Tallisman

Ok guys here it is:

58 +1s and tons of talk elsewhere (GQ is usually mentioned in reaper's midi sux threads. So I am asking this: What exactly is Groove Quantize... We have a little of that discussion here, but it usually is pretty vague and followed the the names of other hosts. I think if cockos is to do GQ right, like scrub was done right, then they need more meat to go on.

So What is GQ? How does it work? How does it impact Workflow? What are the essential elements of the most killerest Groove Quantize - and how do those work? And, how could these elements and this feature set impact other areas of Reaper?

We should draw upon the expierence we have with yesterdaw to create an ecclectic masterpiece!

So for this discussion I have created the following thread.
It is not yet another recepticle for plus ones, but rather a place to churn out a cohesive, complete vision of what Groove Quantize Should look like, act like feel like, if it couldn't be any better... aim high right?

I have already messed up that thread hehe by mergin some from this to it... but what ever, hre it is: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=23444

greetings
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #60
loki

++1 for midi groove and swing quantise, and for it to be available for the project page to quantise audio events to the same groove as the midi.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #61
micha

+1

yes, sadly not..miss it desperately right now...

i think the reason-way is more simple than the fl-way, but nice as well....select just the notes you want as quantise-model in a miditrack (from 1/64 length to tracklength if wanted), capture that groove and be able to use that groove beside the ridgid ones until i choose another usergroove to capture - perfect.

quantize on the grid is NOT groove! sometimes quantizing makes it groove, but its just not the same. and sliders from 0-100% doesnt make it more groovy.....we all need user-groove-capture-to-quantize-grid. THEN it grooves

EDIT:

@ tallis: i need it right now, cause i m cutting drumbreaks into new, making a jungletune, cutting things up, aligning them new. then every 8th bar, at 170bpm the breaks will be edited again, to bring more life in it. layering drumhits under edited drumloops etc. makes no fun to shift transients and midievents manually, when you know it goes so much easier.
and if i just want to change a break quick...oh man....such an effort to overlook, what you doing.

take a groovy loop, the hits, exept maybe of the first one, arent on the grid, what ever scale you take. it just grooves cause the drummr grooved while playing that stuff. no grid in the world is able to quantize a human groove.

i often used rexloops in reason and i liked the redrum-sampler. this and the glorious groove-quantize, nothing else i liked in reason. so i bought myself battery, perfect drumsampler, playing rexfiles as well, so i could just go on without reason. but the missing groovecapturefeature is always bringing me back to reason JUST beacause its a million times faster to export midifiles out of reaper, to import them in reason, just to align the material proper, to bring it all back to reaper....so senseless. and if you want to change one bit....f*%$§&ke...too much effort.

and if you hit your keys in your projekt perfectly in one part, you might want to keep that feeling and adapt it to other sequences. so you capture that groove and apply it to the other parts, where you didnt play so well....theres people out there,like me, they play the keys eaglewise...3 times cycling over, one time hitting....its not always reproducable.or if you get things to mix or just to align....its just such a workflower.....if it would just be in there...

greets,

micha

Last edited by micha; 08-10-2008 at 08:00 AM.
micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #62
Funkstar De Luxe

I would KILL for groove quantize in Reaper. It's the only thing that really prevents me from using Reaper 100% of the time

+1
Funkstar De Luxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #63
mio*star

Default OH YES !

++1

Let's have these MPC4000 groove templates !

Simple (Reason does it) : use a midi file as groove template and assign this to your midi -> be released from the strict machine-esque quantization.

That would really, really improve the musicality of Reaper.

++1
Old 09-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #64
summer

+1 Does anyone know if this is being implemented? Would love to see it too!
summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #65
eMaRe

+1 love it in Fl!
eMaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #66
Kainer

appregiate and groove quantize. that´s for what I still use the midi editor in FLS.

so +1 for implementing this in reaper.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #67
fab

check this thread

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=23444

to contribute ideas and/or have a look at the pdf i linked.

(still wondering if DNA groove templates is a universal format btw)

fab
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #68
jedstar2000

++1 Really need this function even just the basics would be great
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #69
mio*star

++1

bump !
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #70
FunkyDrummer

+1

I really need this feature !!
FunkyDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #71
decilinear

+1
99% of all my Nuendo/Cubase projects use custom groove templates that I created from live audio. I need this in Reaper so I can start using it to 'make/edit' tracks and not just use it as my flat "audio recorder".

Last edited by decilinear; 06-14-2009 at 05:29 PM.
decilinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #72
fab

let's not forget! this! please!

after all that fancy stuff we got - this is still needed.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #73
gofer
-blänk-

but...
this is fancy stuff

It is that fancy that I want it
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #74
Kundalinguist

After my initial "getting to know Reaper" ritual, I began to export my DP projects so that I could continue them in Reaper. Where I'm finding the desire to jump back to DP is with MIDI, specifically the groove quantize function

I don't need a lot of complex features to do my work, but such a quantize feature is a necessity as long as we still have performance latency in our systems — hence, the inability to always capture everything as it was played, or the way that we heard it played.

As well, other useful DP features include groove brushes (just brush the grid and groove-based notes flow out in perfectly groovy order and time) and a very sophisticated "search" feature where we can pinpoint certain notes or sequences of notes. This would be child's play to the guys who code Reaper. But I understand there are priorities and we do have the option to bounce between different DAWs without feeling like traitors (don't we?).

Reaper has the luxury of cherry picking the best of the older DAWs. Hopefully some of DP's strengths will find their way into Reaper...3.07? Okay, may 4.0. But grooving would be groovy in my books.

Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #75
gofer
-blänk-

My main gripe with all kinds of MIDI quantize is that it thrashes the relationship between notes and controllers. Notes are moved, CC events not. What do you think, shouldn't there be some sophisticated math to move the controller events accordingly?

I am not speaking of quantizing each cc event, but rather moving bunches of events with the shifted notes similar to what (I wish) would happen when "move cc events with notes" is engaged. I assumme it would be far more complicated, since many notes are moved in different directions and amounts, but still... worth some thought maybe?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #76
fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
My main gripe with all kinds of MIDI quantize is that it thrashes the relationship between notes and controllers.
maybe... but first, it would be excellent to have it at all! and then for cut-up audio events, too. and maybe later more.

i would use it for stuff like midi drums. ok, on drums, i do use cc4 to control hihat open-ness, but i could live with adjusting those by hand if the rest is taken care of.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #77
gofer
-blänk-

Not maybe. It's a given. I don't know of any daw that could do it. So if it's thinkable at all to find an algorythm for that, it could be a first for Reaper.

I want groove quantize myself. It was just a thing that occurred to me and I thought I throw it into the discussion. The FR is well fleshed out, so instead of just +1 and bumpissimo galore, we could as well discuss things closely related, no?

It is exactly why I don't use groove quantize more often (I never use normal quantize) even if the app supports it. Because it is tedious to tweak the CC data afterwards, also when the app allows easy access to shifting groups of CC events around.

In current Reaper I couldn't use groove quantize at all for MIDI, if I don't happen to work with CC-less MIDI (which is not very often). HiHat open-ness is one of the most timing (and value) critical CC event I can think of, btw.

Maybe I should just admit that this is a shameless plug of my pet peeve...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #78
Leonardo Magno Sampaio

+1 for groove quantize
fantastic
Leonardo Magno Sampaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #79
sly

+1

The integration of groove quantize in the new Live 8 looks really neat and thought through.

Videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V2JE...rom=PL&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVzDX...A2C773&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NvSk...A2C773&index=4
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #80
strunkdts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
My main gripe with all kinds of MIDI quantize is that it thrashes the relationship between notes and controllers. Notes are moved, CC events not. What do you think, shouldn't there be some sophisticated math to move the controller events accordingly?

I am not speaking of quantizing each cc event, but rather moving bunches of events with the shifted notes similar to what (I wish) would happen when "move cc events with notes" is engaged. I assumme it would be far more complicated, since many notes are moved in different directions and amounts, but still... worth some thought maybe?
This is SO very needed. Rearranging CCs is enough to kill all desire to even start, often i will kill a track and try to replicate paerformances, more often then not losing all the mojo of the original. It doesnt makes sense to be able to move/groove notes like this and not have CCs correspond.
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote