Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #81
Draulym
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I keep my fingers crossed every time I go to this forum.
Just to get your hopes up Nick

(actually I'm the same as you!!)
Draulym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #82
RuairiAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
If Reaper had a great controller implementation I bet it would gain a good amount of users...
I want Eucon PROTOCOL on Reaper
I'm gonna disagree here, we need a standardized protocol that all devices/controllers can use. OSC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control) seems to be the way to go.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #83
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Eucon though is like VST, it's a format owned by Steinberg but it's open so anyone can use it.

I have Cubase/Nuendo and Pro tools running on a network of Macs and PC's and it doesn't matter which machine or program I'm using my Euphonix just work with whichever has the focus.

maybe Justin or Schwa can chime in and let us know if there's a cost to adding Eucon support, maybe it would add too much to the price of Reaper, would be nice though, I've not used Reaper for a while because of this.

MC
Eucon is a Steinberg open protocol?
>
Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #84
Nick Morris

nope.
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #85
norbury brook

Sorry,that was badly worded. VST is an open procol owned by steinberg; Eucon is an open protocol owned by AVID.

Would still love to know from a DEV why Reaper isn't adding eucon support

MC
Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #86
Nick Morris

Quote:
Would still love to know from a DEV why Reaper isn't adding eucon support

MC
Isn't that the truth.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #87
DeyBwah

Quote:
Isn't that the truth.
The silence is deafening.

I tried to get a response regarding surface controls from Cockos for many months. Nothing. I don't get it. It's creepy silent.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #88
Nick Morris

Kinda frustrates the crap out of you.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #89
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
The silence is deafening.

I tried to get a response regarding surface controls from Cockos for many months. Nothing. I don't get it. It's creepy silent.
Months??? I am in years!!!
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #90
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuairiAU View Post
I'm gonna disagree here, we need a standardized protocol that all devices/controllers can use. OSC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control) seems to be the way to go.
Are there any physical control surfaces that uses OSC?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #91
Nick Morris

You mean non touch screen? Not that I know of.

I like the way OSC sounds, but all I have seen so far is the Jazz Mutant Lemur thing. I need real faders and knobs, I hated trying to use that. I do not know how so many people are using Ipads and not wishing for actual hardware knobs and faders.

touch screens are cool for menus and navigation, they suck for hardware emulation.

I would like to see a non touch screen osc surface, if Eucon is out of the question.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #92
flightzone

I run a roland vs2480 for my control surface in Reaper. faders, pans, mutes solos, jog wheel etc... search for the person who did the vs2480 support maybe he can work some magic on some other gear for Reaper. just a thought.
flightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #93
steveo42

This thread comes up in practically every single DAW forum in one form or another. IMHO this is a very real problem. Users want a hardware control surface that has a decent, say 8, number of motorized faders, decent scribble strip and EASY TO USE controls that duplicate keyboard/mouse clicks.

Q: Why is this so difficult to achieve?
A: Because the DAW software is a moving target.

As an example, the Alesis MasterControl, a real sleeper that never caught on due to poor marketing, has about 10 different pre-sets that you can choose from along with overlays like the MCU. You pick say Sonar and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE BUTTONS DOES WHAT IT SAYS IT WILL.

And that's key.
Now all is great assuming you are running Sonar 8.5. Move to X1 and now the EQ buttons (hardwired in the pre-set) are not working with the new ProChannel module and of course Alesis has no plans to update.

And there is the problem.

If you think Reaper has problems, head on over to the Presonus forum because your nice new MCU basically becomes a boat anchor with Studio One. Only the basics work.

The boys over there are using a program called " Bome's MIDI Translator" to customize things. Here is a video showing how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKPG...ayer_embedded#!

Reaper is actually one of the BEST at supporting the MCU and others via Klinke's plugin.

Klinke has brought control surfaces to life under Reaper.

As for Mackie, buy something else. My MCU is almost a year old and the blue scribble strip is already fading.
The Mackie forums are a graveyard as well.
They don't seem to care about the consumer anymore.
steveo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #94
Jeronimo

Quote:
You mean non touch screen? Not that I know of.

I like the way OSC sounds, but all I have seen so far is the Jazz Mutant Lemur thing. I need real faders and knobs, I hated trying to use that. I do not know how so many people are using Ipads and not wishing for actual hardware knobs and faders.

touch screens are cool for menus and navigation, they suck for hardware emulation.

I would like to see a non touch screen osc surface, if Eucon is out of the question.
Exactly! I need real faders and knobs too... I don't understand why is it so difficult to have at least, good MCU implementation, seriously, what's the deal?
With good MCU the range of controllers we can FULLY use would be good enough..
Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #95
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo42 View Post
This thread comes up in practically every single DAW forum in one form or another. IMHO this is a very real problem. Users want a hardware control surface that has a decent, say 8, number of motorized faders, decent scribble strip and EASY TO USE controls that duplicate keyboard/mouse clicks.

Q: Why is this so difficult to achieve?
A: Because the DAW software is a moving target.

As an example, the Alesis MasterControl, a real sleeper that never caught on due to poor marketing, has about 10 different pre-sets that you can choose from along with overlays like the MCU. You pick say Sonar and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE BUTTONS DOES WHAT IT SAYS IT WILL.

And that's key.
Now all is great assuming you are running Sonar 8.5. Move to X1 and now the EQ buttons (hardwired in the pre-set) are not working with the new ProChannel module and of course Alesis has no plans to update.

And there is the problem.

If you think Reaper has problems, head on over to the Presonus forum because your nice new MCU basically becomes a boat anchor with Studio One. Only the basics work.

The boys over there are using a program called " Bome's MIDI Translator" to customize things. Here is a video showing how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKPG...ayer_embedded#!

Reaper is actually one of the BEST at supporting the MCU and others via Klinke's plugin.

Klinke has brought control surfaces to life under Reaper.

As for Mackie, buy something else. My MCU is almost a year old and the blue scribble strip is already fading.
The Mackie forums are a graveyard as well.
They don't seem to care about the consumer anymore.
This is why Eucon is leading the way for me. It is not one piece of hardware sold and abandoned, It is a protocol that is constantly being developed and enhanced along with software development partners. The software already using Eucon have received numerous updates giving even deeper hands on control of the software.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #96
steveo42

Quote:
This is why Eucon is leading the way for me. It is not one piece of hardware sold and abandoned, It is a protocol that is constantly being developed and enhanced along with software development partners. The software already using Eucon have received numerous updates giving even deeper hands on control of the software.
That's what they said about HUI.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but let's just say I've seen "standards" over the years and they were only standards until someone else claimed another "standard".
Old 11-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #97
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightzone View Post
I run a roland vs2480 for my control surface in Reaper. faders, pans, mutes solos, jog wheel etc... search for the person who did the vs2480 support maybe he can work some magic on some other gear for Reaper. just a thought.
Okay, I think I found him/her/the thread.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=41391

So who wants to get paid coding me a file to get my Yamaha boards to work in Reaper on WIN764bit. Any takers? I could loan you a board. These boards have sold like hotcakes for years because they are built like a tank and make excellent control surfaces. Having used them in other DAWs was a beautiful thing.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #98
steveo42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
Okay, I think I found him/her/the thread.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=41391

So who wants to get paid coding me a file to get my Yamaha boards to work in Reaper on WIN764bit. Any takers? I could loan you a board. These boards have sold like hotcakes for years because they are built like a tank and make excellent control surfaces. Having used them in other DAWs was a beautiful thing.
Try Bome's MIDI Translator. Look back in the thread for a link to a video on how to use it.

You don't need to know any programming to use it.
Basically, fire it up, make a selection on your Yammy, hit the key combination on your PC keyboard and map the two.

It might work for you.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #99
Nick Morris

Quote:
That's what they said about HUI.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but let's just say I've seen "standards" over the years and they were only standards until someone else claimed another "standard".
The difference is that HUI was developed by Mackie and Digidesign back in what, like 1997, for the first control surface for pro tools, and the baby HUI. One company sells hardware control surfaces and the other the software that created the initial need for a control surface. Both companies had to be on the same page and not step on one anothers toes to effectively continue development. Looks like as Digidesign grew, they figured they did not need Mackie anymore.

Fast forward to today, Avid buys Euphonix, Eucon is now owned and developed by Avid. Avid manufactures the control surfaces that use Eucon AND the software that can be controlled by it. Now development of the protocol is coinciding with, and a part of the development of the software needing the control surface.

This is a new standard. Who is going to make deeper integration with a control surface for protools than Avid? Think about it. These Eucon control surfaces now have extremely deep control, that can be tapped into through a Eucon development partner. Mergings Pyramix already has this, Magix Seuoia and Samplitude have it, Avids Pro Tools of course has it, and so on.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #100
steveo42

Yea, but back then Mackie WAS the Avid. They were immensly popular, far more than Digi was at the time and Mackie had the small / project studio crowd wrapped around their fingers.

Also understand that Avid is out for Avid.
Just like Presonus or any other hardware/software manufacturer is out for themselves. So their main goal in life is to sell product. They don't care about Reaper, Sonar etc.

I'm not saying EUCON won't end up being the new standard, what I am saying is that in my 40 years in this business I have heard this kind of stuff a million times already.

Dolby A
Dolby B.
El-Cassette.
DAT
Dolby C
Dolby S
Dolby SR.
dbx
Various stuff by MXR.
ADAT
+4 - 10 - 20
The list is endless.

I'm all for a standard however when a major software company is involved, be it Avid, Steinberg etc I get worried.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #101
Nick Morris

Quote:
Yea, but back then Mackie WAS the Avid. They were immensly popular, far more than Digi was at the time and Mackie had the small / project studio crowd wrapped around their fingers.

Also understand that Avid is out for Avid.
Just like Presonus or any other hardware/software manufacturer is out for themselves. So their main goal in life is to sell product. They don't care about Reaper, Sonar etc.

I'm not saying EUCON won't end up being the new standard, what I am saying is that in my 40 years in this business I have heard this kind of stuff a million times already.

Dolby A
Dolby B.
El-Cassette.
DAT
Dolby C
Dolby S
Dolby SR.
dbx
Various stuff by MXR.
ADAT
+4 - 10 - 20
The list is endless.

I'm all for a standard however when a major software company is involved, be it Avid, Steinberg etc I get worried.
All very true. I kind of like the fact that Avid has a stake in what the state of protocol is in, helps push them in building it to be what it should be and take it further than what it already is.

Mackie was the king of small/ project studio stuff in a way. Avids Pro Tools is king across the board in that same way.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #102
Untamed Spirit

real knobs I can understand, but having used "real" faders for years and just recently exerienced virtual faders on an ipad2, I can say, I prefer the virtual. Maybe they are not there quite yet, but it seems a complete no brainer that it is the road to the future. Silent, responsive, programmable, excelling in all the areas flying hardware faders struggle.

On top of that, locking in to what seems a fairly closed protocol (eucon took a couple of years to even be available on pc) seems a step backward.
Untamed Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #103
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed Spirit View Post
real knobs I can understand, but having used "real" faders for years and just recently exerienced virtual faders on an ipad2, I can say, I prefer the virtual. Maybe they are not there quite yet, but it seems a complete no brainer that it is the road to the future. Silent, responsive, programmable, excelling in all the areas flying hardware faders struggle.

On top of that, locking in to what seems a fairly closed protocol (eucon took a couple of years to even be available on pc) seems a step backward.
What did you like about the "virtual faders"? In my experience it was inaccurate, sometimes jumping the fader to where my finger was registering. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

They were silent and programmable and responsive though. I'll check em out again.

a friend compared the use of virtual knobs and faders like having phone sex rather than the real deal.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #104
Jeronimo

Quote:
What did you like about the "virtual faders"? In my experience it was inaccurate, sometimes jumping the fader to where my finger was registering. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

They were silent and programmable and responsive though. I'll check em out again.

a friend compared the use of virtual knobs and faders like having phone sex rather than the real deal.
LOL that was a good one!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #105
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictheobscene View Post
Ah yes, elitist snobbery at its finest. One day I hope I can grow up and be as great as you and have a "real" studio. Please sir, will you belittle us poor folk with pretend studios some more?
I didn't at all get the impression that he was giving you attitude. I think this incident occurred only in your own mind. Always best to think twice when posting angry...just in case.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #106
steveo42

Quote:
All very true. I kind of like the fact that Avid has a stake in what the state of protocol is in, helps push them in building it to be what it should be and take it further than what it already is.

Mackie was the king of small/ project studio stuff in a way. Avids Pro Tools is king across the board in that same way.
Absolutely Nick and we are in full agreement!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #107
HIO

Quote:

Lol!!! Mixing on a 7 inch wide ipad and I am just thinking like how big are these virtual faders and how many fit in there with all that screen real estate.

Also, hardware mixers CAN be silent and responsive and programmable and like somebody alluded to something about real sex, I will take The real McCoy any day or night of the week.

You are right though the Eucon protocol and how it is implemented across the board and no pun intended could be unfairly biased towards Avid and Pro Tools and may be a step back in the long run for other DAWs down the road.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #108
Untamed Spirit

Quote:

Considering it's first generation technology competing with motorized faders that have more or less reached the apex of their development I think the touchscreens are amazing. I haven't really spent enough time to explore in depth what is lacking from a multitouch screen implementation, but I actually found it much better than I expected. Like any new technology it requires changes in approach and I imagine that will rule out a number of die hard users. However, I see the whole touchscreen approach as one I will adopt in the near future barring any serious drawbacks. I just assume there will be a learning curve for users as well as programmers to emulate the environment we have at the moment.
I should have guessed mentioning virtual knobs would bring up the sex thing and I think the comparison to phone sex and the real thing might be accurate. I always figure WHO I'm having sex with is more important than HOW. So being in bed with Avid has sure given me drinker's droop in the past
Untamed Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #109
HIO

Quote:
Considering it's first generation technology competing with motorized faders that have more or less reached the apex of their development I think the touchscreens are amazing. I haven't really spent enough time to explore in depth what is lacking from a multitouch screen implementation, but I actually found it much better than I expected. Like any new technology it requires changes in approach and I imagine that will rule out a number of die hard users. However, I see the whole touchscreen approach as one I will adopt in the near future barring any serious drawbacks. I just assume there will be a learning curve for users as well as programmers to emulate the environment we have at the moment.
I should have guessed mentioning virtual knobs would bring up the sex thing and I think the comparison to phone sex and the real thing might be accurate. I always figure WHO I'm having sex with is more important than HOW. So being in bed with Avid has sure given me drinker's droop in the past
LOL!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #110
lxm

Im having issues with AUTOMAP and REAPER. Bridged plugs that are embedded dont allow the GUI of AUTOMAP to be on the screen at the same time. Why is this? If I disable embedded function all is OK.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #111
RyanC

Neyrinck V-control basic functions are working on reaper32 OSX. Paul Neyrinck in accessible and if enough people asked him I'm sure he would port the app to reaper specifically.

Personally I like the speed of controllers and the accuracy of the mouse/automation (actually I use a Intuos4 tablet). Generally I tend to use a control surface (have owned Control 24, ProControl and now V-Control) for tracking and getting a basic mix together.

I think the other side of this is people being lazy to learn/program keyboard shortcuts. With modifiers etc a standard qwerty can cover way more ground then the buttons on even an icon. This is one area where reaper is great, you can program all your keyboard shortcuts how ever you want them.

I would really like to see more companies create Ipad apps like omni TR, especially if I could launch omni TR directly from V-control...
RyanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #112
norbury brook

Avid Pro Tools
Avid Media Composer
Apple Color
Apple Final Cut Pro
Apple Logic (Pro and Express)
Apple Soundtrack Pro
Apogee Maestro
Cakewalk SONAR
MAGIX Sequoia
Merging Pyramix
Metric Halo MIO Console
MOTU Digital Performer
Steinberg Cubase
Steinberg Nuendo

All these have Eucon protocol, Steinberg have added it when they already have their own system with the ID controllers http://www.wk-audio.de/en/idconsole/c/d/ so they have the best of all worlds, Mackie support,Eucon and their own ID. Sonar also have the integration with the roland units AND even so they've added Eucon.

Reaper could have a native 'reaper protocol' AND like other DAWS use Eucon as well.

MC
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #113
Nick Morris

Quote:
I always figure WHO I'm having sex with is more important than HOW. So being in bed with Avid has sure given me drinker's droop in the past
LOL! Love it
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #114
Nick Morris

Quote:
Avid Pro Tools

Reaper could have a native 'reaper protocol' AND like other DAWS use Eucon as well.

MC
Wouldn't that mean they would also need to make their own control surfaces too?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #115
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
Im having issues with AUTOMAP and REAPER. Bridged plugs that are embedded dont allow the GUI of AUTOMAP to be on the screen at the same time. Why is this? If I disable embedded function all is OK.

Automap is great in theory as and when it works - super.

(grin) and this is why I got rid of my Novation remote zero SL very shortly after buying it.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #116
Jeronimo

Quote:
Avid Pro Tools
Avid Media Composer
Apple Color
Apple Final Cut Pro
Apple Logic (Pro and Express)
Apple Soundtrack Pro
Apogee Maestro
Cakewalk SONAR
MAGIX Sequoia
Merging Pyramix
Metric Halo MIO Console
MOTU Digital Performer
Steinberg Cubase
Steinberg Nuendo

All these have Eucon protocol, Steinberg have added it when they already have their own system with the ID controllers http://www.wk-audio.de/en/idconsole/c/d/ so they have the best of all worlds, Mackie support,Eucon and their own ID. Sonar also have the integration with the roland units AND even so they've added Eucon.

MC
agreed
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #117
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Automap is great in theory as and when it works - super.

(grin) and this is why I got rid of my Novation remote zero SL very shortly after buying it.
Thats just it. Great when it works. I am always weary off adding new stuff on-top but creatively it actually helps.

What would be great is a one(large) knob MIDI controller that can quickly learn anything within your daw. No complicated maps, no AUTOMAP wrapping. Is there such a thing?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #118
speber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
Thats just it. Great when it works. I am always weary off adding new stuff on-top but creatively it actually helps.

What would be great is a one(large) knob MIDI controller that can quickly learn anything within your daw. No complicated maps, no AUTOMAP wrapping. Is there such a thing?
Maybe a Mackie 'MID' Knob in the works?

Just addin my two cents to the thread here guys...a big HELL YEAH for anything that would simplify the 'education process' of control surfaces.

For the record, my Master Control (so far) is working out great, but as someone mentioned before it isn't 100% linked up. Transport, jog, scrub, faders, panning, automation, and locating are all happening...but little 'extra' goodies require I either figure out how to train the unit or use the keyboard and mouse.

Keep talking and we'll hammer something out, right?

Peace!
WinXPPro 64bit on dedicated machine
no network or internet ;)
speber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #119
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by speber View Post
Keep talking and we'll hammer something out, right?
Right,...but so far it has only been talk, talk,... it is only talk. ...---...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEZ55EQOcE
Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #120
CloseToTheEdge

Please see my thread about the Presonus Faderport here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91082

I'm really happy I did not invest $5,000 in a work surface is all I can add.