Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
Tachy
Human being with feelings

Default external hardware recording

Hallo everyone, I have several hardware pieces in my studio, and I use reainsert with the automatic device latency on.
It s ok, when I freeze the track in realtime is good, when I try to record the output of that track using record output latency compensated the two track are not in line generating some phase issues ..in the option - preference-recording I try to uncheck the use audio driver reported latency and now when I record internal in reaper everything is ok.
I want to ask you if this method is valid and if I do it in the right way.
I have a fireface 800 as a sound card
Thanks
Tachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
SonicAxiom

you may wanna perform a latency test for your RME interface to find out about its particular latency and then compensate for it manually. Once you have your latency compensation calibrated correctly, your recordings will land on the right spot and you will be able to use ReaInsert so that its return signal will be correctly aligned within your mix. Here's how the calibration procedure is done:

Old 05-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
Tachy

Thanks a lot for the reply ...I will try to do the test soon, but For example, if I record with a 64 buffer size , and do the test , and then try to record at 128... the latency sample will change evry time I change the buffer size ?
Old 05-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
SonicAxiom

yes, can't be avoided, unfortunately. I've performed the same test for various buffer sizes and have written down the resulting manual latency compensation offset values for each buffer size so that I can keep everything well aligned. If I switch between buffer sizes (or project sample rate), I simply look up the measured compensation value for that particular buffer setting (sample rate setting) and put it into the corresponding field.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:27 AM   #5
Tachy

Yes ... I have with my rme fireface 800 at 64 buffer 270 sample adjustement ...what do you think about that ? It s a quite normall value for that buffer size ?
Old 05-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #6
SonicAxiom

seems absolutely plausible. If you have performed the test correctly it should be the correct value for your particular setup and you will see how the loopback test recording's waveform lines up sample accurately with the glued click reference.