Old 08-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
Warpticon
Human being with feelings

Default subfolders in plugin dialogue!

You knew it was coming.

It sure would be convenient if I could sort my plugins by type without having to have a list of about 30 things to filter through. In most things, including my vst directory, I sort into subfolders "effects" and "instruments." Under those, I sort by the type of effect or instrument underneath, which makes it a lot easier to find what I'm looking for. Some programs (Phrazor, Kristal) pick up on the directory sorting, while others allow for individual sorting. Reaper does neither I can have a long list of individual instrument or effect types, but I can't separate the two, which would make plugs a lot easier to find and insert.

It can't be that much trouble to just allow a folder under a folder in the "my folders" section, can it? I imagine that organizational characteristic could help a lot of people.
Warpticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
shane

This has been previously discussed, and it seemed like most user's needs were met using the Effects/Instruments auto-grouping on the left and filter strings like eq, comp, etc. I had to get used to the way Reaper's plug-ins are set up, but now it seems a lot more powerful to have them all in one place and quickly filter out a small subset rather than dig through physical directories...
Old 08-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
olzzon

You could also use the favorite folder for the ones that you use the most, this is really handy. It is possible to create as many as you wanīt and make your own favorite folder just as you like them. This is way more than any other Host iīve met.
Just rightclick at the My Folder.

I would love to be able to have my favorite folder as the default when open the Add FX window, though.

Last edited by olzzon; 08-21-2006 at 10:45 PM.
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Warpticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
You could also use the favorite folder for the ones that you use the most, this is really handy. It is possible to create as many as you wanīt and make your own favorite folder just as you like them. This is way more than any other Host iīve met.
Just rightclick at the My Folder.
No, you're not understanding. I'm already doing this. What I want is to be able to subgroup them so I don't have 35 different folders and a long list to scroll down. And yes, the word filter is nice, but it only really works if the plug has its function in its name (or you're looking for a single, specific plug). If I'm wanting to test a few EQ's and I do that, the Classic EQ would come up, but Endorphin wouldn't. Hell, even just going down along list of possible effects would be easier if the folders could be sorted in any way other than "this is the last one you created." If they were arranged alphabetically, it would be considerably more tolerable.
Warpticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
EnzymeX

I sometimes miss this sub sort capability also...

The ultimate solution would be to add a "user category" sort in the existing dialog, where each plug can be classified by a user definable category name.

Then, you could use the same text search tool, but extended to pick up category and well as plug name text.

You would have to set up category names and associate same with each FX within Reaper, but you wouldn't have to worry about physically moving files around on the hard drive.
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymeX
I sometimes miss this sub sort capability also...

The ultimate solution would be to add a "user category" sort in the existing dialog, where each plug can be classified by a user definable category name.

Then, you could use the same text search tool, but extended to pick up category and well as plug name text.

You would have to set up category names and associate same with each FX within Reaper, but you wouldn't have to worry about physically moving files around on the hard drive.
Maybe i miss understod, you can create subfolders right now, but no sub sub folders.
But itīs easy to make folders, called Eq, Compressor, Samplers, synth etc.
Is it folder inside these you need?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
EnzymeX

Quote:
Maybe i miss understod, you can create subfolders right now, but no sub sub folders.
But itīs easy to make folders, called Eq, Compressor, Samplers, synth etc.
Is it folder inside these you need?
I don't get it. I do have some sub-folders in my VSTi path, but Reaper does not appear to build a tree reflecting that structure in the FX dialogs, like, say, Ableton Live does. Honestly, I can't say I miss that "feature" in and of itself though.

On the other hand, it WOULD be cool to be able to define an EQ plug as "EQ" type in Reaper, and then type in "EQ" to see a filtered list of all equalizer plugs on the system. I'd rather define it all once in Reaper than have to move around the .dll's and supporting files...
Old 08-23-2006, 05:04 AM   #8
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymeX
I don't get it. I do have some sub-folders in my VSTi path, but Reaper does not appear to build a tree reflecting that structure in the FX dialogs, like, say, Ableton Live does. Honestly, I can't say I miss that "feature" in and of itself though.

On the other hand, it WOULD be cool to be able to define an EQ plug as "EQ" type in Reaper, and then type in "EQ" to see a filtered list of all equalizer plugs on the system. I'd rather define it all once in Reaper than have to move around the .dll's and supporting files...
Itīs not folders on the harddisk, but the structure in the FXwindow you create the folders.
If you right-click at MyFolders in the FXwindow you can create new folders, and when you right click a plugin, you can tell it to appear in any of your folders.
So no need for moving .DLLīs
Old 08-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
EnzymeX

Quote:
Itīs not folders on the harddisk, but the structure in the FXwindow you create the folders.
If you right-click at MyFolders in the FXwindow you can create new folders, and when you right click a plugin, you can tell it to appear in any of your folders.
So no need for moving .DLLīs
olzzon,

That's the problem - my FR's are done before I even think of them! This is really cool.

Now I understand where you were going with extending that functionality. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:56 AM   #10
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpticon
...would be easier if the folders could be sorted in any way other than "this is the last one you created." If they were arranged alphabetically, it would be considerably more tolerable.
Like most others here (I guess), I have my VST Folder divided into several sub-groups too.

Code:
VST Plugins

- Instruments:
  - dev A
  - Sampler & Rompler
  - VA Synths
  - FM Synths
etc.

- Effects:
  - Amps & Pre's
  - Distortion
  - Dynamics
  - Delay
etc.
Noy I have created the same number of folders in the Reaper FX list and named those folders according to my VST folder structure.

It sure is going to take a little time first to set this up, but then you don't change the content of your VST folders that often, don't you? Of course I have a dedicated 'Try out' folder for VST(i) testing.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is, the way it is now suites me very well. Until now, I found that Cubase SX had the best way of handling your VST folders, as it mirrors exactly your folder structure, but Reaper still does it way better
And don't forget that you can copy aliases into several folders in the list, like for example I have 1 folder 'Kjaerhus Audio' where I put all their FX, but if you also want to put the 'Classic Compressor' into the 'Dynamics' folder, just do it.

Cheers
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 AM   #11
maa

Default Not Usefull

The right hand window actually dis-regards windows sub directories and I wish it wouldn't!

I have guitar effects from SimulAnalog scattered all over the place but if I open Windows Explorer they are all organized in ONE folder.

Thats really backward.

maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 AM   #12
EnzymeX

Justin,

I'm still running around adding top level folders now that I know I can create my own categories! This is really the best search feature I've seen for VST's in a host.

The only thing I would change is this: If you type enough in the search dialog to limit the search results to one plug, please highlight the selection so I can just hit enter instead of taking my hand off the keyboard to select the one remaining plug with a mouse click.

Last edited by EnzymeX; 08-24-2006 at 02:19 AM.