Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-30-2019, 03:04 AM   #1
Xasman
Human being with feelings

Default CD Render options now included in Reaper Linux!

Just a quick bump to say that Render to both CD Image and DDP are now available in REAPER Linux as of version 5.986 (released today). Many thanks,devs!

--

Hi all,

I'm in the process of testing the current native linux version (5.974) of Reaper on Ubuntu 18.04 and I notice that two rendering options (in Render To File -> Output Format) are missing as compared to the windows version:

Audio CD Image (CUE/BIN format) and
DDP.

Does anyone know if these omissions are intentional, or do I just need to install additional dependencies to make them available?

Last edited by Xasman; 11-19-2019 at 04:39 AM. Reason: 5.986 Update solved this!
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
WyattRice

I'll take a guess here and say that it will probably happen.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
Glennbo

I ran into that last weekend. A friend wanted me to bring a CD of a project I want to have him play on and when I went to render and create the CD found it missing. I just rendered to wave and then used xfburn to get it to CD.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I ran into that last weekend. A friend wanted me to bring a CD of a project I want to have him play on and when I went to render and create the CD found it missing. I just rendered to wave and then used xfburn to get it to CD.
Thanks for clarifying - I wondered if I'd missed something obvious to others (it wouldn't be the first time). Anyway, that's a shame. Workarounds such as the one you describe are OK for quick one-off, local CD burns but once in a while I need to produce DDP files for pressing and in that case it's a rather more serious omission. I'm sure there are workarounds for that, too but if possible, it would be nice to have the same functionality in Reaper for Linux as in the Windows version.

Out of interest; can xfburn create CUE/BIN files? (I just checked the xfburn web page but it doesn't make it clear).
Old 04-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Thanks for clarifying - I wondered if I'd missed something obvious to others (it wouldn't be the first time). Anyway, that's a shame. Workarounds such as the one you describe are OK for quick one-off, local CD burns but once in a while I need to produce DDP files for pressing and in that case it's a rather more serious omission. I'm sure there are workarounds for that, too but if possible, it would be nice to have the same functionality in Reaper for Linux as in the Windows version.
I imagine it will find it's way into the Linux version once it's no longer billed as an "Experimental Build". Hopefully so will icon images in the track icon browser.

Quote:
Out of interest; can xfburn create CUE/BIN files? (I just checked the xfburn web page but it doesn't make it clear).
Doesn't look like it. It's a simple make an audio or data disk utility that came with my distro. It does have an option to leave the temp files, but without burning a CD I'm not sure what those files might be.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
Xasman

Quote:
I imagine it will find it's way into the Linux version once it's no longer billed as an "Experimental Build". Hopefully so will icon images in the track icon browser.

Doesn't look like it. It's a simple make an audio or data disk utility that came with my distro. It does have an option to leave the temp files, but without burning a CD I'm not sure what those files might be.
Ouch - I hadn't even noticed the missing track icon images!

OK, many thanks Glennbo for that information. Let's hope then, as you say, that these things are added in due course.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Jack Winter

From what I understand, this is not a case of missing dependencies.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
From what I understand, this is not a case of missing dependencies.
Thanks for confirming, Jack. After a forum search showed that nobody seemed to have mentioned this issue before, I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't overlooked anything.

I suppose fewer and fewer people need to burn CDs these days (including me), but once in a while it's still a really useful feature to have built-in.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:56 AM   #9
Jack Winter

I never noticed that it was missing
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #10
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I never noticed that it was missing
Quite! I can perfectly well understand that you wouldn't miss it unless and until either you need it or someone mentions it - just like I didn't notice that icon images were missing in the track icon browser until Glennbo mentioned it.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Quite! I can perfectly well understand that you wouldn't miss it unless and until either you need it or someone mentions it - just like I didn't notice that icon images were missing in the track icon browser until Glennbo mentioned it.
I've been using REAPER for Linux for at least 8 months now and only noticed the CD CUE/BIN option was missing last weekend. I almost never burn CDs any more, but needed to make one then.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Xasman

Quote:
I've been using REAPER for Linux for at least 8 months now and only noticed the CD CUE/BIN option was missing last weekend. I almost never burn CDs any more, but needed to make one then.
Understood - which shows that it's still a handy function to have when it's needed.