Old 05-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default v5.978 - Linux

Where can more details about features like these be found?

I looked around in the pre-release forum and didn't find anything.

+ Linux: implement memory use warnings, memory use in help text
+ Theme: fix grid line draw mode loading/saving on macOS/Linux
+ linux: use realtime for reaper_host_xxx if REAPER running realtime

The last one in particular piqued my interest. Is there a different executable or is that some option in a config file?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
AlbertA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Where can more details about features like these be found?

I looked around in the pre-release forum and didn't find anything.

+ Linux: implement memory use warnings, memory use in help text
+ Theme: fix grid line draw mode loading/saving on macOS/Linux
+ linux: use realtime for reaper_host_xxx if REAPER running realtime

The last one in particular piqued my interest. Is there a different executable or is that some option in a config file?
Those are the processes spun up for bridging/firewalling Linux VSTS. Before the their priorities were not set to realtime if Reaper itself was already running in real-time (which happens automatically if your account has the proper permissions setup to do so).
AlbertA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
Glennbo

Cool. Thanks for the more detailed explanation. I guess that will have no effect on my system since I only run the Low Latency kernel.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:27 AM   #4
Jack Winter

There is some confusion about what realtime means on Linux. Reaper can also run so called realtime threads on the lowlatency kernel (if the system is properly configured).

What the realtime kernel does is to start running threads faster. If it takes the kernel too long to start running your realtime threads, then there will be a xrun (audio dropout). This is more or less the only advantage of using the realtime kernel. What the patch does is to make the kernel itself more preemptable, in practice that means it can stop doing things to run realtime threads faster than the other kernels.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Glennbo

So I might still see better performance even with a Low Latency kernel, and it would likely show up in other processes that are spun up by REAPER, like LinVST and the plugins being hosted by WINE?

If I open the performance meter in REAPER I always see a burst of RT xruns and 0 media xruns as it opens, but then while playing the project neither ever increases.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Jack Winter

Quote:
So I might still see better performance even with a Low Latency kernel, and it would likely show up in other processes that are spun up by REAPER, like LinVST and the plugins being hosted by WINE?
No, this is regarding the builtin ability of reaper to firewall plugins, by running them as external processes.

Quote:
If I open the performance meter in REAPER I always see a burst of RT xruns and 0 media xruns as it opens, but then while playing the project neither ever increases.
Yes I've also seen this, not sure where it comes from. Still IMO, as long as it's only when opening a project it's a minor annoyance I'd dearly like to get rid of all xruns in reaper though
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 05-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
No, this is regarding the builtin ability of reaper to firewall plugins, by running them as external processes.
I've never made any overrides on any of the plugins I use so they are all run as plain VST/VSTi plugins. If I were to set one of them to run as a separate process, is that when this would kick in and possibly improve something?

I'm not having any problems with any of my plugins, native Linux or bridged Windows, really just more curious about some of these feature bullets I see when they mention Linux specifically.

Quote:
Yes I've also seen this, not sure where it comes from. Still IMO, as long as it's only when opening a project it's a minor annoyance I'd dearly like to get rid of all xruns in reaper though
I figure it's just the process of getting everything instantiated all at the same time causes it, and don't really worry about it.

Maybe Justin could add a one second delay before calculating RT xruns on the performance meter to let everything settle down.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:54 AM   #8
Jack Winter

Quote:
I've never made any overrides on any of the plugins I use so they are all run as plain VST/VSTi plugins. If I were to set one of them to run as a separate process, is that when this would kick in and possibly improve something?
Yes after this fix, firewalling plugins will most likely work better (that is to say it would be less likely to have xruns than without this fix).

Quote:
I figure it's just the process of getting everything instantiated all at the same time causes it, and don't really worry about it.

Maybe Justin could add a one second delay before calculating RT xruns on the performance meter to let everything settle down.
Still IMO it shouldn't do this, reaper ought to prime the entire audio chain and then engage audio processing. Most likely this is what it does, and the xruns are due to something else.

Hiding these xruns won't help all that much, as I'll still see them elsewhere
Old 05-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
HihiDanni

This topic got me thinking, has anyone managed to get realtime priority working for LinVst yet? Since they run in a separate process due to the way Wine works...
HihiDanni is offline   Reply With Quote