Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
qwanta
Human being with feelings

Default non-destructive freeze/render (reversible)

Well, I like building up songs by shifting wav clips around and experimenting with FX on them. By necessity I have to freeze the FX at some point to save CPU, but I don't like committing things down without an easy way back. I know in reaper you can render to a new track and mute the old one etc.. but if you then duplicate the rendered clip and use it in many places, then want to go back and tweak the FX on the pre-rendered one you can't have all the 'instances' reference back to the newly tweaked one - basically you lose your arrangement. In addition, if you render stuff multiple times (render a clip, combine it with another one, add FX render again etc..) it's hard to manually keep track so that things can be undone later.

Anway, here's a couple of ideas I'd like to throw out there with regard to this:

1) each clip should retain a history of all the renders it has gone through. Ctrl-double clicking on the clip automatically brings it back to its pre-rendered state. This can be done n-times until you reach the raw-wavs / midi clips that cannot be broken down any further.

2) when you copy a clip you have a choice to make it a ghost clip - meaning a copy which 'points' to the original, any changes to the FX in the history of the original clip will be reflected in all the ghost clips - or a regular independent copy which will not be impacted by any changes to the original clip.

So for example, you would be able to make a selection over 3-tracks (each with its own FX) and render that. If you now double-clicked the rendered clip, it would automatically expand itself into the 3 original tracks with their FX. If the clips on the original tracks were a result of rendering, you could ctrl-double-click them in turn to expand them to their source tracks etc..

The basic idea is to be able to have everything frozen/rendered except for the part that is being worked upon; and also to never have to be worried about irreversibly committing FX with destructive editing, the entire history of renders is a part of each clip.

I know freeze has been discussed a lot in these forums, and I'm exited to see what Justin will come up with next, but I've never seen the above idea in quite this form before so I thought I'd mention it... and would be interested in what other people think.
qwanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
olzzon

1)If you put the rendered track as a take on top of the other, they will follow when you copy and move them.
Then itīs easy to go back to the old take.
Just a thought, havenīt used it.
Donīt do much Freeze, with todays machines.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
kenn

I think most of us would like a 'freeze track' function. Both as a CPU-saver, and as a "this is done, I'm 99% sure I'll never touch this track again except to mix" -type of lock. It would be a bit more elegant than having to explicitly render the track to a new file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwanta
2) when you copy a clip you have a choice to make it a ghost clip - meaning a copy which 'points' to the original, any changes to the FX in the history of the original clip will be reflected in all the ghost clips - or a regular independent copy which will not be impacted by any changes to the original clip.
You can achieve this if you make the master clip into a new WAV file, then paste that into the piece, so any subsequent changes to that wav would also be reflected in all copies.

But it was possible to do sort of clone or "ghost" copies of any given selection (which is not necessarily a new WAV file, that would reflect any non-destructive changes to the original selections, that would be pretty cool.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
qwanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
1)If you put the rendered track as a take on top of the other, they will follow when you copy and move them.
Then itīs easy to go back to the old take.
Thanks I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn
But it was possible to do sort of clone or "ghost" copies of any given selection (which is not necessarily a new WAV file, that would reflect any non-destructive changes to the original selections, that would be pretty cool.
Really, my big hope is to be able to do something like this:
1) build a beat on multiple tracks (bd,sn,hh etc), render it to 1-clip, then chop it and arrange it recycle like.
2) edit original clip multi-track beat by changing hihats, muting snare etc
3) arranged chopped beat automatically updates with different hihats, muted snare etc..
Old 09-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Try Edit "apply effect to selected item as new take"
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
qwanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
Try Edit "apply effect to selected item as new take"
ok, I'm aware of this function... I know my post wasn't very clear, but imagine you have created a beat and rendered it to a wav file. Now you've used this rendered wav recycle like in a track and decide you want to remove the hihats for 1/2 bar at some point. I'd like to be able to ctrl-double-click that 1/2 bar, get the expanded multi-track beat, and remove hihats.

Basically, I'm just looking for per clip FX, with history and ability to render a clip from multiple clips.