Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Bob Headroom
Human being with feelings

Default Win XP to Win 7, Am I daft for not going to 10 (DAW / General Use PC)?

Hi

Long time XP user here who struggles with change! But for reasons I won't bore you with, I need to make the move away from XP.

I want to go for W7 for a number of reasons. Firstly, I have an EMU 1820M and would like to keep using that. I'm not sure if some of my other HW would have trouble with W10 as well. Secondly, I have not liked the look of W10 when I've seen it. Thirdly, I've heard scare stories about privacy with W10, though I'm not sure how true they are and haven't looked too deeply into it.

The reason I'm thinking I might be daft.... Moving from XP to ??? is going to be a major thing for me. I know some people can just get on with it but I ain't one of those people! It will be a time consuming and stressful endeavour (and I'll no doubt be back with many questions!). So it was with much disappointment that I recently learnt support for W7 will end in 2020. The idea of doing all this now just to have to do it again in two or three years leaves me feeling queasy and ill.

I guess my main concern is that this is my general use PC as well, so when W7 support stops I'll be less safe. That being said, I'm still on XP, I've never had a SW firewall, and I've never had a virus or any of that kind of trouble. So it would be interesting to know whether I've just been lucky or whether updates, etc are "overrated". That might also help me decide how significant the end of support for W7 will be.

There's no main question aside from the one in the title. But I hoped that by sharing my thoughts others might be able to chime in with theirs...

Thanks to all!

Max
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
eliot

If you like XP, you'll most likely enjoy 7 a little more. Anything after 7, I absolutely hated and went right back within a day or two.
eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
ivansc

Max! Long time no see.

The biggest step (from memory) was XP to Win7 for me.
Biggest problem with sticking at just going to 7 is that you will already be way behind what is going on at the sharp end, so you might want to consider going from 7 to 8.1 before finally diving into 10. Much smoother learning curve as very little actually changed under the hood between 7 and 10, despite all the horror stories you hear.
Your best bet if you want to keep yourself fireproof would be to buy a new hard drive and keep your old one with the XP install on it until you are comfortable with 7.
I have done this every step of the way, including when I finally put a SSD drive in my travelling laptop rig! The old drive comes in handy as a place to back up your current installation once everything is working smoothly.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
dug dog

I went through this same process in the past 2 weeks. Not fun. I also had to get up to speed on what hardware was out there.

Interesting that the new processors from both AMD and Intel won't run Win 7.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
Serenitynow

I just made the switch to 10 from 7 and it's been great. YMMV, but all the horror stories I read just did not come true for me anyway.My computer actually seems a slight bit crisper in response. Might just be the honeymoon phase but I haven't had any problems.

The accessibility upgrade is still good until the end of the month(year).