Old 01-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
CraigG58
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple Folder (Bus) pan grouping

I’m having a problem trying to configure panning of separate parent folders using a single group. A bit of clarification is in order:

There are 16 drum folders in this mix (see grouping matrix dialog attachment):

- A main “Drums Bus”, master send.
- Child folders under that, for major drum kit sections (Kick, Snare, Toms, Overheads), parent send to “Drums Bus”.
- Finally, the individual drum tracks under each of those sub-folders, parent send to the major drum kit section folders above.

(Please ignore the “Room Mic”, it’s a direct parent send to the main “Drums Bus” folder.)

In the screenshot, as you can see the “Kick Bus” folder and its two child tracks are set for both pan Lead and Follow. This works fine, and that folder successfully controls panning of both its children. The same is true if I set “Kick Bus” to Lead, and its children to Follow.

My issue is, I’d like to do the same for the remaining major drum kit section folders. Other than creating a separate panning group for each of those (which seems clumsy) I haven’t been able to figure a way to accomplish that, or if it’s even possible

Hope that makes sense. It’s something that’s been driving me crazy for a while now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multiple Folder (Bus) pan grouping.jpg (59.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by CraigG58; 01-13-2022 at 04:29 PM.
CraigG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:57 PM   #2
poulhoi

I don’t see any other way than what you described. I also don’t really understand why you would want this; you can simply leave all the child tracks panned in the middle and then pan the folders only, no grouping necessary. Unless you have some kind of stereo processing the drum section folders, which would be pretty unusual, panning just the folders is the same as panning the child tracks.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
CraigG58

Sorry, the original example I gave isn’t proper since I had included the “Kick Bus” folder in the group, when it shouldn’t have been. While using that grouping would allow gang panning for the individual drum child folders (which is what I’m after), I’d still want to maintain the parent folder at center so as to not affect the panning of its children.

It’s a little difficult to explain, so I’m hoping the following makes more sense...

This case has to do with toms. On this 5-piece drum set, I like to pan them in opposite directions to give the effect of standing in front of the kit. Using only the pan control in the “Toms Bus” parent folder would throw off the overall panning of all toms.

Referring to the newly attached grouping matrix screenshot:

1) “Toms Bus” folder has been centered, not part of the group, and will remain untouched during mixing.
2) Pan the 10” tom 30% right, and set for reverse panning.
3) Pan the 12” tom 40% left.
4) Pan the 16” floor tom 50% left.
5) Group these three child folders for both Lead and Follow.

Using this configuration, I can easily widen or tighten their stereo separation using any one of the three panning controls, yet still maintain their relationship to one another. That’s obviously much easier than adjusting those three controls separately.

However, the same issue remains in that panning for other similar folders can’t be accomplished within the same group. In other words, of course I wouldn’t want the panning of say, the overheads to be affected while adjusting the panning of the toms.

So, as far as I can tell the only way to accomplish this is to place the individual tom and overhead folders into separate groups. Since I want to set this up for the children under each of the major drum section folders in this particular project, that requires a total of 4 groups whose only purpose would be panning. On a larger kit with more components, this can balloon into many more groups in a hurry.

Anyway, I hope this clears things up. One of the primary purposes of groups is centralized control of multiple tracks, which is exactly what this example tom pan grouping provides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multiple Folder (Bus) pan grouping - 2.jpg (56.2 KB, 8 views)