Old 01-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #1
DaveInIndy
Human being with feelings

Default 'Fade Mute' Action?

Hi. Is it feasible to create an Action or even a JS effect that does "Track Fade to Mute?" The idea has been in many posts, but the closest I've seen is Midi Fade X. Not what I seek- I want to fade out a track over a user definable time (ie 2 sec) then mute that track, triggered by a Midi CC send (ie foot pedal).

I've read and re-read most or all the posts on live Reaper use, SWS, Live Configs, ReaLive, Pipeline, etc. I have used Live Configs and Snapshots for gigs. I HOPED to use Snapshots to switch my live instrument Sends to various effects tracks (not mutes). It works, leaves the tails, does use more CPU... but now with my full project built (4 vocal mics, 2 guitars, soft synth, Sampler), there is a ~0.25s delay and an audible pop when I switch Sends via Snapshots. In my smaller project files using Snapshots to mute tracks I never felt a delay, and no pops. But in the full project, its unusable. SO a Fade Mute function would be super- used in Snapshots or Live Configs or directly as an Action.

Is this possible? I can't find any 'decrease volume over time' action, and I'm not smart enough to see how to convert a midi controller-driven script to time-based. And I know others are that smart, but I haven't seen anyone do it...

Thanks,
Dave
DaveInIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
DaveInIndy

Default Cycle Actions will work

I don't truly need a face mute. If I can get changing or muting Sends/Receives to work, I just need custom actions to trigger from Live Configs that select tracks I want to fade, mute their receives, wait 2 or 3 seconds then mute the tracks. And of course unmuting receives/tracks that I am switching TO for their effects to play. Just discovered Cycle Actions and... oh my!!! LOVE!!!
I switch 4 mic channels and 2 guitar channels every time I hit a floor pedal. Songs have different combinations of FX plugins on each track, but I only need 3 unique combinations of FX for any song. So all my tracks are named xx_FX1, _FX2, or _FX3. IE the electric guitar folder has an input track, some FX, then sends to three daughter tracks EGit_FX1, EGit_FX2, EGit_FX3. Same with all the other sources. So in Cycle Actions:
1. s *FX1* tracks
2. SWS unmute tracks
3. SWS unmute tracks receives
4. s *FX2*,*FX3* tracks
5. SWS mute receives
6. SWS wait 3 sec
7. SWS mute tracks

I need to verify this works with no pops or clicks. Hoping so. Other ideas??

Dave
Old 01-14-2022, 11:15 PM   #3
mschnell

If I understand correctly, Midi Fade X is done exactly for that purpose. Create a Fade out and when done send out a Midi event that can be used to mute the track (e.g. via MidiToReaControlPath).

This has been tested by "Pipeline" and he has been able to do a Guitar Effect engine switching with appropriate "tails"

Of course it needs a decent work to set up such a project.

As same is available and very sophisticated now, it might be a godd idea to take a decent look at ReaLean to create such infrastructure. This might be able to avoid using several more specific plugins (including MidiToReaControlPath).

Let me know if you have specific questions or requests.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
DaveInIndy

Default Wait in Cycle Actions

Michael- Thx, yes, I imagine there are better approaches. I'm happy with the performance I get when I mute/unmute sends between FX tracks 1, 2 and 3, but only when the first receiving track is allowed to tail out while the new receiving track is unmuted.

My Cycle Action works... except "SWS: Wait" lines aren't counted in sequence. Other posts tell me that C.A. steps are all processed in parallel, not in series, other than logic loops. Not sure I understand.

I attempted to use Midi Fade X last week, but couldn't see how. The example files aren't on Positive Grid's Dropbox. I need an A-Ha moment... again. I haven't had much trouble working with Midi PC, CC or Notes, Control or Track level so I've not switched to ReaLearn. I'm also only using pedalboards. Can it directly create a fade in some way?

You are such a dedicated supporter of the Reaper community, for many years now. I'm only 1.5yr in, trying to learn fast. Thank you!

Dave
Old 01-15-2022, 11:20 PM   #5
mschnell

I did not yet try ReaLearn with Midi Fade X, but this seems to be your best option.

I thinks you at best set up an new project and check out this combination, and come with specific questions...

-Michael
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #6
DaveInIndy

Default Midi Fade X

I couldn't get my Custom Actions approach to work without pops and gaps. So I've managed to get the basics of Midi Fade X working. These posts helped a lot. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ht=fade&page=4

My simple test has a pedal sending a Midi CC value of 127 to fade in and 0 to fade out. Sending a mute cc works too. It was not apparent to me until today that Midi Fade X is using CC values, not just CCs. LiveConfigs is the only other place I've seen that in Reaper. Midi Fade X is very cool, thanks Michael!

Now I need to consider my workflow. I can do all the individual things I want without using LiveConfigs...routing sends, sending Midi CCs, etc. Maybe LC is still the most simple framework. Got to think about it. My use is similar to Pipeline's back in '18 but more complicated as I'm also switch FX on 4 mics. I may have some more questions shortly.

I do still wonder why there isn't a native or SWS Fade Volume action. Clearly it is complicated, as Michael said in the link above.

Dave
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #7
mschnell

Midi Fade X is part of a JSFX solution to replace SWS Life Config in certain cases.

I have started to do a VST as a more versatile and more easy for configuring complex projects upgrade to LiveConfigs. But that a decently huge endeavor.
-Michael