Old 08-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
briandress
Human being with feelings

Default Setting up guitar fx chain

Hey everyone.

I am trying to make a signal chain with vst for guitar playing.

I will be using stuff like ignite amps and pedals like emissary and tyrant screamer but also want to use Two Notes wall of sound and stuff like Valhalla shimmer.

I'm new to this and and trying to figure out how the signal routes through the vst. Can I have a signal chain within one track and route signal from pedal to amp sim to cab sim to reverb?

Or do I have to set up the different fx on different tracks and do sends and receives?

Thanks for taking it easy on me. Hope I posted in the correct place
briandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Stella645

If you add FX as inserts then the signal is processed as you see them in the rack...top to bottom. So absolutely you can do this on a single track with pedal/amp/speaker emu from top to bottom.

Something like shimmer could go either as last insert with it's mix set to taste or on it's own FX track with a send from the guitar track and mix set to 100% and then you use the send level or the return fader to balance levels.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
briandress

Ok how do I set them as inserts? Right now I just click the fx button on the track and add
Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
briandress

I think I figured it out. It's the slot called "input fx" ?
Old 08-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Fergler

No you had it right when you were adding fx.
http://puu.sh/xlbGP/30f9dff0a2.png

Input fx are for FX that are placed in the recording chain - they will be recorded onto the track as audio and thus not be editable.

VSTs process audio and then pass it onto the next one, so simply place the VST you want in the correct order (you can drag and drop) to achieve a chain:

http://puu.sh/xlbKG/5221496e9f.png
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
mschnell

Welcome at Reaper Live Usage !

"Parallel" effects in a track's FX "chan" can be done by increasing the channel count of the chain and using pin routing (see User Guide).

Regarding reverb: mind that ReaVerb (and maybe other convolution engines as well) features a "Zero Latency" setting, that allows for "realtime" live performance, but needs more CPU that with "ZL" switched off.

Regarding Live setup: there is the great tools "SWS LiveConfigs" that helps managing the multiple patches you will want to switch during a live performance. Search the forums for "LiveConfigs" and you will find a lot discussions on that topic showing it's usage (I wrote an enhanced User Guide for LiveConfigs). (Unfortunately we don't have a dedicated "Reaper Live" forum over here. )

Also mind that for live usage you need a decently fast CPU and an A/D-D/A converter which (including it's driver) is specified for low latency., I happily use NI Audio 6 for that.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #7
briandress

thanks so much for the help guys.

I had it right the first time it was just an error with Two Notes WOS that was not producing any output. On my second try I got it working great.

First of all I am so impressed with the sound I am achieving here vs on my iphone 7.

I was trying out bias and tonestack etc and got so frustrated with the tiny screen that I wanted to give my pc a try.

My lackluster experience with PC VST was definitely due to a sub par audio card. I finally had my behringer UMC 204 HD arrive and I loaded up Ignite Emissary with a Tyrant screamer in front going into WOS. Holy Djent!! Wow! I have definitely caught the vst bug. Already have the full valhalla suite humming.

I dont think I could go back to analog gear at this point. Too expensive for what I have discovered I love.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandress View Post
behringer UMC 204 HD
I considered same when I did my setup, It's known for really good signal quality, but at that time I was warned that latency is too high for live usage. This is an issue of the windows driver, not of the hardware.

Did they take care of the latency problem ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote