Old 02-27-2024, 06:22 AM   #1
chmaha
Human being with feelings

Default MacOS too many open files

I have one ReaClassical user on a beefy MacOS system who gets a "too many open files" error message when running this ReaClassical function: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ch...l_Audition.lua (assigned to keyboard shortcut A in the portable install). It works by starting playback where the mouse is hovering muting/soloing tracks as required. Note that when using in the regular arrange window, the only lines of concern are 33-48.

What's strange is that pressing spacebar doesn't cause an error. Admittedly, his project is quite massive compared to most (200 takes, 30-channel track groups etc) but I can't think what could be causing the error message in my function. It essentially sets the relevant tracks to muted or soloed, hides/shows the relevant tracks in the TCP/MCP and then runs OnPlayButton(). There's no io.open stuff here (as I found on another thread about the "too many files") and the muting/soloing iterates on a track level and not item level.

I can't recreate anything on my system because frankly I just don't have any projects of that magnitude.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:48 AM   #2
Meo-Ada Mespotine

The problem could be that the project already opened the maximum number of files.

Now, if your action is run, Reaper tries to open the scriptfile to read it but since the opened files already maxed out, it can't do it.

I think there's an option in the prefs for number of files but I have no experience with it.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:12 AM   #3
smandrap

Try Preferences > Buffering > Advanced Disk I/O options > Automatically increase open-file limit on REAPER startup
Old 02-27-2024, 07:33 AM   #4
chmaha

Many thanks, @Meo-Ada Mespotine and @smandrap, I'll point the user to these thoughts.