Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
johnss
Human being with feelings

Default Creating FX Sends & Returns in REAPER ?

Hi

Im new to reaper (came from sonar) and i already have question (haha) :-)

I have followed kenny´s great tutorials on youtube, and still do

Can i use the same way kenny do this in his great tutorials "Creating FX Sends & Returns in REAPER":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhK8UGYRXXc

I want to use my uvi falcon on several miditracks - just one instance of falcon that "controls" the other tracks...isnt it called multitrack?

Or how do i set it up...
johnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
uncleswede

Welcome.

I don't own UVI Falcon but, *IF* it is multitimbral and you can set up patches that respond individually to midi channels 1-16, you would probably need to do the following:

This reads a bit long-winded but, if it's something you do regularly, you can select all the tracks and save them as a track template for later use.

- create a track, name it "Falcon" and add the Falcon VST to it's FX list

- in the Falcon VST create three, different patches/instruments that respond to MIDI channels 1, 2 and 3 respectively

- create a few MIDI tracks called MIDI 1, MIDI 2, MIDI 3 and set the MIDI input as Virtual MIDI keyboard, omni

- open up the routing for the Falcon track and add the following 'receives;

- From track "MIDI 1", no audio, MIDI All to MIDI channel 1
- From track "MIDI 2", no audio, MIDI All to MIDI channel 2
- From track "MIDI 3", no audio, MIDI All to MIDI channel 3

- Bring up the virtual MIDI keyboard (Alt-B)

- Now for track MIDI 1, record arm it, turn monitoring on and play the virtual keyboard. You should hear whatever Falcon 'patch' you set to respond on MIDI channel 1

- Repeat for tracks MIDI 2 and MIDI 3.

Hope that helps
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
DarkStar

Hello and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide by Nicholas too: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php,

Or, if you need multiple separate audio outputs (e.g one for each instrument sound), try this:
(a) right-click in the Track Control Panel (TCP) area below any existing tracks,
(b) select "Insert virtual instrument on new track",
(c) select the VSTi (Falcon in this case),
(d) click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from the VSTi,

(e) open the FX window for the VSTi track (click the [fx] button),
(f) select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track",
(g) disable RecArm on the VSTi track,
(h) if Input Monitoring is Off for the "MIDI" tracks, select them all and turn it on (and turn it on in Preferences >> Track / Send Defaults >> Record config, for future use).
Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively) to the VSTi and several tracks for the audio outputs from the VSTi. If you do not need separate MIDI input tracks, you can omit steps (e) ... (h)

Within the VSTi, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sending its audio to a particular audio output pair; depending on the VSTi you may need to do some additional configuration work within the VSTi itself (e.g. to create / enable the output channels).

Back in Reaper, name your MIDI tracks for their destination instruments and add the MIDI. Name the audio tracks too. Colour the tracks as you wish.

SAVE them all as a Track Template. Then delete (or just hide) any tracks that you do not need in this project.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
johnss

Thank you for the help, but i forgot i have M-Audio 88es connected to my motu 828x with real midicables (motu 828x midi are turned on in prefs) - nothin happens when i play my ´88es...whys that?

i do have 2 (existing) midi tracks (imported, midi file format 1), with midi 1, and midi 2 as you wrote. and did do the suff in router

i can see reaper recive midi from ´88es, but notes are not playing in falcon ?

i dont think i need seperate outs but who knows later so thank you

I saw somethin on youtube with multitracks midi...
Old 12-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnss View Post
Thank you for the help, but i forgot i have M-Audio 88es connected to my motu 828x with real midicables (motu 828x midi are turned on in prefs) - nothin happens when i play my ´88es...whys that?

i do have 2 (existing) midi tracks (imported, midi file format 1), with midi 1, and midi 2 as you wrote. and did do the suff in router

i can see reaper recive midi from ´88es, but notes are not playing in falcon ?

i dont think i need seperate outs but who knows later so thank you

I saw somethin on youtube with multitracks midi...
Firstly make sure that your M-Audio midi keyboard is enabled on options, preferences, midi devices. Next, on the track with Falcon loaded, right click on the record arm button, choose input midi and select your keyboard (omni). You should now see midi activity on the falcon track's meter when you play the keyboard. With the track record armed and input monitoring on, you should also hear the falcon sounds...
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
johnss

Its still the same,,,,´88es is working; i can see notes reciving on the falcontrack in reaper, but no audio is heard FROM falcon when playin notes on my ´88es.

And no midi is sent to falcon (i know that because i see the notes in the keyboard/piano in falcon but no...)

So reaper IS reciving midi from my ´88es...i have 3 Programs in falcon, one program is not used, and the other 2 are set to midi 1 and midi 2 each

(a program in falcon is a bunch of keygroups)

When i use the mouse to press notes on the falcon keyboard/piano, audio IS heard on the falcontrack on reaper
But only when i use the mouse...

What have i overlooked... :-)
Old 12-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Its still the same,,,,´88es is working; i can see notes reciving on the falcontrack in reaper, but no audio is heard FROM falcon when playin notes on my ´88es.

And no midi is sent to falcon (i know that because i see the notes in the keyboard/piano in falcon but no...)

So reaper IS reciving midi from my ´88es...i have 3 Programs in falcon, one program is not used, and the other 2 are set to midi 1 and midi 2 each

(a program in falcon is a bunch of keygroups)

When i use the mouse to press notes on the falcon keyboard/piano, audio IS heard on the falcontrack on reaper
But only when i use the mouse...

What have i overlooked... :-)
This is almost always a routing problem. If you can see your keyboard working and you get sound from Falcon, then try this.

Setup a midi track separate from you Falcon track, then make sure you see your keyboard working on it. Now route that track to your Falcon track with this "Send" configuration.

Audio: None MIDI: All->1

Also uncheck your "Master/parent" check box. If you've got your Falcon VSTi setup right, you should hear your keyboard using channel 1.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
johnss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
This is almost always a routing problem. If you can see your keyboard working and you get sound from Falcon, then try this.

Setup a midi track separate from you Falcon track, then make sure you see your keyboard working on it. Now route that track to your Falcon track with this "Send" configuration.

Audio: None MIDI: All->1

Also uncheck your "Master/parent" check box. If you've got your Falcon VSTi setup right, you should hear your keyboard using channel 1.
It doesnt work...i added a picture of it, what have i done wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led.jpg (62.7 KB, 464 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
johnss

Im gonna see REAPER 5 Explained - 24. Midi, one more time :-)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
It doesnt work...i added a picture of it, what have i done wrong
Looks like in your screenshot you have MIDI [ALL] > [All] instead of MIDI [All] -> [1]

Also make sure that Track 4 (which uses your MIDI keyboard as Input) is armed and has input monitoring enabled - which you can also see in the REAPER 5 Explained - 24. Midi video.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
johnss

It works! :-)

´very confusing to see all the "REAPER 5 Explained", i did see them all for a while ago but i forgot most of it :-)

Dont get me wrong: they ARE very good !! but for a newbie, its hard to find THAT mistake that I did - because there are so many videos to choose from :-) (where is that video with vsti...hmmm) :-)

So i read uncleswede again because its so simple written, (thank you) i started all over (i used the insert->virtuel instrumens on a new track.

what confuses me is that there is no "OUTPUT" on the tracks, so i still dont get it: how is it possible to hear sound from the vsti?

There are shown 2 inputs on tracks, but where is the output from tracks, i see its the Routing Controls, but why is that listed one of the first, and not last in the "chain" on the tracks
Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
Tod

Quote:
what confuses me is that there is no "OUTPUT" on the tracks, so i still dont get it: how is it possible to hear sound from the vsti?
Open the VSTi FX window. In the menu Options you can select to have the outputs of the VSTi loaded into Reaper.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
johnss

Aaah there it is...is there a reason why the output is hidden away so much :-)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
Aaah there it is...is there a reason why the output is hidden away so much :-)
Actually when you inserted a VSTi on a new track, it usually asks you if you want to build the routing. If you click OK it would have built them at that time.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
johnss

Thank you all for the help, ´and i know i will
use Darkstar´s "separate out" one day :-)