Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 AM   #1
adam79
Human being with feelings

Default Using POD XT (48 Hz) in a 96 Hz Session

I like working at 96 Hz cuz most of my plugins prefer that sample rate. However, I use a POD XT for guitar and bass, which has a max sample rate of 48 Hz. Is this a conflict of interest, or should it be fine? I'm having trouble telling whether there's any real degradation in audio quality; it seems to be working well.

Thanks.
adam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
domzy

Shouldn't be any problem, other than wasting hard drive space, unless you are actually recording the audio as 48k files and then (automatically) resampling to 96k on playback, as this will cause additional CPU usage (not necessarily a problem, depending on your hardware & the complexity of the project etc.).
Out of curiosity, what plugins are you finding work better at 96k, and in what way?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
serr

My experience is that upsampling 48k to 96k preserves the music content 100%. There would be no loss in the upsample. (Even the old generation conversion codecs that were genuinely terrible with downsampling did fine with upsampling.) Whereas the signal path of: digital audio output stream > POD DA converters > analog > DAW audio interface AD stage > digital again at 96k
You might get some little bit of loss or noise form the extra DA and AD conversions. The DA stage in the POD probably isn't a boutique model that could hold up in a shootout with RME or Apogee.

Preserving that original digital signal from the POD and avoiding it's DA stage would be the most important I would think. If there even is a weak point anywhere - that would be it. Upsampling it is a moot point.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
domzy

just to clarify my response, i wasn't suggesting there would be any detriment to the audio, just that you would be wasting resources (either space or cpu) - and ultimately, in the age of Greta Thunberg, this is undesirable
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote