Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Feature Requests Greatest Hits

Removed.

May get remade after v4 release.

Last edited by airon; 01-18-2011 at 12:14 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Actions for Snapping Items to the Edit Cursor
There is an action "Item: move selected items to edit cursor", and the nudge dialog lets you move various parts of an item to the edit cursor. What more is requested here?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
airon

Here's the list for starters:
  1. Snap Item's Snap-Offset(Syncpoint) under mouse cursor to Edit cursorr
  2. Snap Left Edge of Item under mouse cursor to Edit cursor
  3. Snap Left Edge of a COPY of Item under mouse cursor to Edit cursor
  4. Snap Right Edge of Item under mouse cursor to Edit cursor
  5. Snap Right Edge of a COPY of Item under mouse cursor to Edit cursor
  6. Snap an Itemcopies's Snap-Offset(Syncpoint) under mouse cursor to Edit cursor

They're all mouse-over actions since most editors will have the cursor position set to change with any left or right-click commands. The parts that do the actual snapping are all handled by SWS actions.

The only one "Item: move selected items to edit cursor" replaces is "SWS: Move selected item(s) left edge to edit cursor".

The rest put the selected items right edge to the editor cursor, or copies of selected items at the edit cursor, or the selected item with respect to the snap point, which uses one of Xenakios' commands.

All these operations are common in use and very useful for daily editing duties. Protools is limited in how it can do this and basically burns up loads of modifier+left-click combos to do all those operations. Reaper is way more flexible with its mouse-over capabilities, so in fact the methods these macros enable(created by Mercado and me) are more accurate and less prone to error as we do not rely on small mouse zones that you need to target when using the smart tool of Protools. You can just hover over any area of the item in question and fire off the command.

The reason the nudge window is not preferred for everyday work is the reconfiguration and extra keys necessary. It requires a lot of setup, and these snap commands have to be at your fingertips at all times. They need to be a standard, and thus cannot be a users custom creation if they are to gain any traction. Using the nudge window takes a lot more time and setup. It's great to have but not as fast and easy to use as these snap commands.

The basic commands we're requesting can be those without mouse-over action, but as a matter of fact, it's more likely everyone will use the mouse-over stuff. It's six commands in all, and we have one(or rather none with mouse-over action) so far. Protools does this in one click and it's built in, so I reckon the superior stuff we've created here can probably easily be condensed in to one command each that come with Reaper. If you include "select item under mouse cursor" versions it'll further decrease setup time, and perhaps you could even set some default keys.

Key1 to snap start and Key2 to snap end of selected item to editor cursor.
CTRL+Key1 and CTRL+Key2 to do the same with copies of the selected item, leaving the original where it is.
SHIFT+Key1 to snap selected item in regards to its snap marker and finally,
SHIFT+Key2 to do the same with a copy.

That's six commands, and I'd start with mouse-over versions, because we're using the left and right-click to setup edit cursors all over the place already.

I included the current commands in the attachments. They work nicely with the current SWS extension version with 3.63pre3. They use the keys Q and W, and I use slightly different modifiers, but they get the point across.

Last edited by airon; 03-10-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
PitchSlap

I've returned from the future with an important message from the legions of Ableton Live converts, musicians and DJ's etc. using Reaper as their DAW of choice for live performance...

"PLEASE ADD BASIC GLOBAL SYNCHRONIZATION/QUANTIZE! We can't vote, because we're not there yet..."

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2623

Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
cerberus

airon, do you think it is appropriate to include one of these on this list ? :

Item Containers (".reaparts")

or

PiPs and .reaparts 2010

i would also favor putting a -freeze- f.r. here too... it's been a perpetually
popular f.r... and doesn't every other decent daw have it?
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
pixeltarian

i'm shameless...

advanced track management:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...lor+management
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
i'm shameless...

No you're not, that's a BRILLIANT FR!

Not to mention that Brice's mockup which totally whoops ass!

I'll be shameless and put MFX support, fully (un)dockable UI, context sensitive floating toolbar, and MIDI editor tabs to this list!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
Xasman

All good, but I'd put NOTATION right at the top.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
All good, but I'd put NOTATION right at the top.
Not before some crucial functionality is added. The things Airon numbered in the first post are way more important than notation editor at this point in time and space, IMHO.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
captain caveman

It's great to see automation getting some love and I hope that Cockos extend that to the almost universally limiting/confusing takes system.

I think some composing/creation tools would be great to include in v4 too like Reaper's own version of the Arranger track from Cubendo....

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1343
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not before some crucial functionality is added. The things Airon numbered in the first post are way more important than notation editor at this point in time and space, IMHO.
Well then we'll have to agree to disagree. Of course I can only speak for myself, but it remains the case that, to me, notation is way more important than anything on Airon's list.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #12
fuseburn

I think notation is a job for notation software. Let Finale or Sibelius do the job. I've never seen a good scoring editor within a DAW, the Cubase one being the worst. I was sincerely pissed to have invested money on that...
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #13
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseburn View Post
I think notation is a job for notation software. Let Finale or Sibelius do the job. I've never seen a good scoring editor within a DAW, the Cubase one being the worst. I was sincerely pissed to have invested money on that...
I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with that too. I always found notation incredibly useful when I used to use Logic (I agree Cubase's notation was never as good though). IMHO it's a highly appropriate and useful feature to have available inside a DAW. I really don't want to have to open another program and mess about with rewiring, exporting or whatever, when I just want to do some quick editing or print out/view an instrumental part with notation.

I already use Sibelius and it's unbeatable for certain things but I'd also REALLY appreciate having a notation editor inside reaper for reasons I've mentioned before but which I will reiterate here for convenience:

Sibelius is, of course, great for producing publication quality scores and parts. However, a great MIDI sequencer it is not (especially if you want to get at the "nuts and bolts" of MIDI data), and that's fair enough, as it's designed to be used by musicians who don't necessarily want or need to be able to do that.

When I'm working in Reaper, I'd like to be able to quickly switch back and forth between notation edit (which would give me a more harmonic view), piano roll (which gives me more precision over note lengths/velocity info etc.) and event editor (which is good for editing multiple MIDI events of the same type together via the MIDI filter). I also frequently use MIDI and audio together. I would REALLY prefer not to have to mess about rewiring programs together every time I just want to quickly flick open and use a notation editor inside my DAW.

From my perspective, the whole point of having notation available within Reaper itself would be to be able to have the flexibilty mentioned above and to directly print (or just read on-screen) acceptable instrumental/vocal parts etc. WITHOUT having to leave Reaper (or switch/link together multiple programs).
Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #14
EvilDragon

Let's just agree to disagree then. But I'm fairly convinced that you're gonna have to wait a whole lot longer for your notation editor, whereas Airon's FRs might be done much, much faster, simply because they need much less work to get them done.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #15
Xasman

Quote:
Let's just agree to disagree then. But I'm fairly convinced that you're gonna have to wait a whole lot longer for your notation editor, whereas Airon's FRs might be done much, much faster, simply because they need much less work to get them done.
I've no doubt you're right about that. However, the amount of time it may take to implement doesn't make a notation editor any less important and valid a FR in my book. I'm also sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be glad to see it added either and, if it were to be added, everyone would benefit, so it wouldn't be "my" notation editor .

By the way, I'm not suggesting for a second that the items on Airon's list aren't wanted or needed, just that notation is a more important FR to me personally and, in my view, should be added to the list if, as Airon says, it is intended to concern "basic things that more than just Protools users care about".

Last edited by Xasman; 06-22-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #16
EvilDragon

Hey, I'd also like to see a notation editor in Reaper, but I presume it would be extremely hard, if not impossible, to top Sibelius or Finale for the task. For that matter, I can't really say I have any objections to ReWiring already existing editor for that purpose, at least until Cockos adds one to Reaper.

I remember Schwa saying that notation editor is extremely low on their list of priorities, simply because of the work that's needed, and they are rather keen on getting the "ordinary" DAW functionalities up and running first. So, perhaps R5 or R6 would see initial sparks of a notation editor, but I doubt it would happen during R4 release cycle, that's highly unlikely.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
fuseburn

Quote:
By the way, I'm not suggesting for a second that the items on Airon's list aren't wanted or needed, just that notation is a more important FR to me personally and, in my view, should be added to the list if, as Airon says, it is intended to concern "basic things that more than just Protools users care about".
After all it's democracy in here. Feel free to create that FR by yourself !
(thanks for your polite tone btw.)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #18
Xasman

Quote:
Hey, I'd also like to see a notation editor in Reaper, but I presume it would be extremely hard, if not impossible, to top Sibelius or Finale for the task.
I wouldn't expect any notation editor in Reaper to "top Sibelius or Finale" (though that would be nice, of course ). Something along the lines of Logic's notation editor would be fine for my purposes. Sibelius and Finale don't compare to Reaper at being MIDI sequencers, but that doesn't matter either. Basically, as I said earlier, what's important to me is to have a notation angle on editing MIDI (in addition to the existing piano roll, drum and event editors) and being able to print/view instrumental parts directly in Reaper. It's a different emphasis.

Quote:
For that matter, I can't really say I have any objections to ReWiring already existing editor for that purpose, at least until Cockos adds one to Reaper.
Well, unfortunately at the moment there's no choice, but if you've ever worked with the notation editor in Logic I'd be surprised to hear you say that. It is SO much more convenient to just flip open notation in a DAW's MIDI editor - the two methods just don't compare (and this could quite possibly/probably be one of the main reasons Avid bought Sibelius; i.e. so they could build notation directly into ProTools)!

Quote:
I remember Schwa saying that notation editor is extremely low on their list of priorities, simply because of the work that's needed, and they are rather keen on getting the "ordinary" DAW functionalities up and running first. So, perhaps R5 or R6 would see initial sparks of a notation editor, but I doubt it would happen during R4 release cycle, that's highly unlikely.
Maybe not, but where in Airon's post does it specify that these FR's should only relate to R4 revisions? Surely, the more folks that want notation, the sooner it's likely to be implemented?

Interesting that you mention Schwa's comment. I'm surprised because I've never seen anything written here by any of the devs which specifically addresses notation in Reaper - it's quite possible I've missed it though. However, a quick search reveals nothing so would you mind providing a link directly to the post you mention so I can read it in full? Thanks.

Last edited by Xasman; 06-22-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
Dionysis

Very important features (IMHO) that shouldn't be to hard to implement (not that I am a real programmer).
This would in essence enable real "offline processing" like functionality:

1. action for set all fx offline for selected takes
2. set media offline for selected takes
3. Action for 2

This would enable to keep only an archive of rendered takes that you can return back
whenever you want.

These came from my question here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60032

Best

Dionysis
Dionysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #20
vicenzajay

Default Yes...

Quote:
[indent]
I'm taking these off the PT refugee thread, and putting them here, because i think a lot of these requests concern very basic things that more than just Protools users care about.
True statement - and I've voted for the appropriate ones that I believe are basic functionality "needs".

In my opinion, your list misses the take management/comp'ing elegance improvements (ala Vegas, etc.) that is a HUGE basic functionality issue for quite a few of us as well. There a several FRs for different "angles" of this request....just wanted to mention it here should this become a more or less comprehensive "review" of basic functionality FRs.
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #21
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
airon, do you think it is appropriate to include one of these on this list ? :

Item Containers (".reaparts")

or

PiPs and .reaparts 2010

i would also favor putting a -freeze- f.r. here too... it's been a perpetually
popular f.r... and doesn't every other decent daw have it?
I'd gladly add a Freeze FR. The PiP stuff is now more a matter of implementation than actually getting it done. The facts for that one are on the table, and we have a first implementation that so far isn't going anywhere. The ReaParts really are PiPs. What Protools calls region groups has been discussed too which is also a form of container for multiple items, but without that being a complete session. I don't know which concept will eventually get done and put in to a normal release. Cockos has to make up its mind and make further attempts I guess.

Can anyone point me to a proper Freeze function request ?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
i'm shameless...

A faster way to access and control colours. Yeah, nice one. This could be part of an inspector panel for tracks too. One button on that panel, or right-click on the TCP itself to reveal this vertical colour stick left of all the menus perhaps.

Time for you to post an official FR in the tracker.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #23
airon

Quite a bunch of nice FRs in there.

There's nothing stopping you from posting your own list of great FRs with a good presentation right here in this thread (I'll link to YOUR list in the first post) or in another thread. Perhaps a collection of FRs that address only MIDI, or all ideas around ReaParts and Ghost items, or the FRs that try to improve the take system.

Make your list, and maintain it. I'll post a link to it in the first post with the proper description.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #24
airon

My take on notation is that it's very hard to implement right. Quite possibly this is a job for a team of extension writers, who could perhaps take an open source project and adapt it to be an internal editor for midi items.

This may require a new set of APIs from Cockos, but in the end may very well be worth it, depending on how many folks are willing to code, test or donate money to the coders who will do the job.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #25
d. gauss

i would still love to see a built in eq in the mixer panel.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #26
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
i would still love to see a built in eq in the mixer panel.
i'm pretty sure i've seen people show you how to do that for your default track template in about 45 seconds. it's not something most people want though (myself included).
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #27
dub3000

Quote:
My take on notation is that it's very hard to implement right. Quite possibly this is a job for a team of extension writers, who could perhaps take an open source project and adapt it to be an internal editor for midi items.
+1

Quote:
This may require a new set of APIs from Cockos, but in the end may very well be worth it, depending on how many folks are willing to code, test or donate money to the coders who will do the job.
if there was enough pipes added by the devs to bolt a notation editor on, there'd probably be enough stuff in there to add a tracker-style pattern sequencer. i'd be more than happy to help add one of THOSE (i was a contributor to psycle years ago, that one's like a cross between buzz and a traditional tracker, and i think the source is open source still).
Old 06-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #28
dub3000

hmm. off-topic... but, i wonder what would be required to get a pattern sequencer up and running, from the cockos side?

it'd probably have to operate on MIDI data, there's probably no way around that. we'd need a way to tag a MIDI block as needing to be opened by a particular editor. we'd need to be able to send realtime MIDI data (for note entry/playback previewing), and ideally start/stop playback and move playback. we'd need to receive current play data (to show a cursor updating on the screen), and tempo/time sig data probably. and it'd need to live in a 'real' looking reaper window. we'd need to be able to mark changes to a MIDI item that is otherwise managed by reaper.

that'd probably be it.

could do all sorts of sweet sequencer stuff like that. 808 style drum pattern editors, pattern editors, notation...
Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #29
jdutaillis

Some awesome (and much needed!) requests in here.

Here is a very simple one from me:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2636

Could this please be added to the list Airon? Love your work
jdutaillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #30
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
i'm pretty sure i've seen people show you how to do that for your default track template in about 45 seconds. it's not something most people want though (myself included).
i have no idea about "most people," but for ME, if you can show me in reaper how to have a mixer view like "propellerhead's record," i'm all ears. i.e. a built-in eq, NOT a template. as long as it is hide-able/optional/etc. for those who don't prefer it (and i know there are many), there's no reason to be against it if it can be hidden/defeated, it just happens to be the way i work the fastest.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #31
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
i have no idea about "most people," but for ME, if you can show me in reaper how to have a mixer view like "propellerhead's record," i'm all ears. i.e. a built-in eq, NOT a template. as long as it is hide-able/optional/etc. for those who don't prefer it (and i know there are many), there's no reason to be against it if it can be hidden/defeated, it just happens to be the way i work the fastest.

* make a new track
* click fx to open fx window. right click in blank fx pane. select 'add fx chain'
* add the attached fx chain in the zip file in this post
* right-click there again, and select 'save chain as default for new tracks'

now,

* right click on the master track 'master' label.
* select 'show FX paramters when size permits'
* UNTICK 'show fx inserts when size permits' and 'show sends when size permits'
* stretch the mixer window up a bit so it's big enough to show the sends

that's it - every new track should show those controls

Attached Images
File Type: gif track controls.GIF (10.2 KB, 3440 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Default_Track_Chain.zip (409 Bytes, 278 views)
Old 06-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #32
Xasman

Quote:

I'm sensing that some people here seem to be prepared to go to considerable lengths in order to find reasons NOT to be asking for a notation editor from Cockos as a FR, and I don't really understand why.

Surely such questions as exactly how difficult it would be to add notation and whether it should be implemented natively or via extensions (or at all) are issues for the Cockos developers themselves to decide upon, and not for us to pre-empt (unless I've misunderstood something and some of you have inside information to which the rest of us are not privvy)?

Rather than continue to proffer reasons to avoid asking for a notation editor, why can't we just add notation to the list and leave it up to the devs to decide for themselves if, whether, when and how to implement it?

Last edited by Xasman; 06-24-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #33
babag

i will continue to be a lurker and not a user until reaper can paste the attributes of one item to a selected group of items.

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #34
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
i will continue to be a lurker and not a user until reaper can paste the attributes of one item to a selected group of items.

BabaG
What? You can do that. Select multiple items, press F2 for item properties, Reaper asks you do you want to edit all properties at once, or one by one!

Well it's not exactly like pasting, but it's definitely close enough.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
babag

thanks, ed. will look into that. definitely more work than pasting.
for the workflow i use it would mean adjusting one item until i get
the right sound. this is no different than what i do now. from there
i'd have to make note of all of the adjusted parameters and open my
group of items as you suggest, working them together and matching
the noted parameters. if there were a lot of adjustments, it would
be considerably more effort than a simple paste to the group. this
is the best workaround i've heard, though. will try it. probably not
enough to get me on board, though, as it is more work and copy/paste
really should be considered basic computing functionality.

thanks again,
BabaG
Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #36
EvilDragon

What kind of adjustments to the item are you talking about?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #37
babag

pans, levels, filters, crossfades. i'm sure there's something else but,
not yet using reaper, it's not coming to mind at the moment.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 06-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #38
EvilDragon

You can most definitely set up pans and volume levels on multiple items at the same time using the method I described above.

Filters are not in Item properties. You can use any VST filter as an FX, and if you use SWS extensions, there are commands to copy FX chains from one item, and to paste them on selected items in the blink of an eye!

Crossfades and fades can also be edited on multiple selected items, by holding Ctrl+Alt while editing!

Reaper can do a LOT, so just try it
Old 06-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #39
nikki-k

add notation + TAB + lyrics and VariAudio and I would get out of my wheelchair and bow down.

I like my stuff saved in one file, and *need* to be able to TAB out ideas as I put them down; if I do not, I forget exactly how I played something, change the name of the DAWquencer song and forget to do so to the score/TAB app file, etc.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #40
airon

Quote:
I'm sensing that some people here seem to be prepared to go to considerable lengths in order to find reasons NOT to be asking for a notation editor from Cockos as a FR, and I don't really understand why.
Quite on the contrary. I'm simply attempting to be realistic, though to what degree I can actually tell you what chances notation has of being included I cannot say for certain. Previous hints by Cockos and the quality of other DAWs implemenations are the only facts I have to go on.

Quote:
Surely such questions as exactly how difficult it would be to add notation and whether it should be implemented natively or via extensions (or at all) are issues for the Cockos developers themselves to decide upon, and not for us to pre-empt (unless I've misunderstood something and some of you have inside information to which the rest of us are not privvy)?

Rather than continue to proffer reasons to avoid asking for a notation editor, why can't we just add notation to the list and leave it up to the devs to decide for themselves if, whether, when and how to implement it?
The way this works is that somebody posts a well worded and thought out feature request in the issue tracker.

There are quite a few discussions in the feature request forum where ideas are proposed and discussed before they are refined in to the entries for the issue tracker. The most recent one appears to be this : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60001

I couldn't find a feature request in the issue tracker for a notations view. Perhaps if you nailed down the essential features, discussed these with your fellow users who require notation view, and then post it in the issue tracker, it would indeed be a proposal Cockos would even know exists. The issue tracker is pretty much the place where they look for FRs.

EDIT
Hold the phone, there is one basic request for a notation kind of view. Staff view on top of the piano roll , posted almost a year ago.