Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Erich Graywolf
Human being with feelings

Default Will not scan new VST's

Trying to add another VST, i.e. Freeverbtoo, but Reaper will not scan or accept it. What am I doing wrong?

Yes, I have unzipped the file..
Erich Graywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
mixer

Is Reaper pointed to the correct folder or location of the VST? (I know, basic question, but this was my problem once.)
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Fabian

I the VST needs a specific version of MSVC++ re-distributable that doesn't exist on the computer, some of them just silently refuse to answer Reapers call. Then they won't show up. Maybe that's it.

Try running VST Scanner (just google)
Old 01-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Erich Graywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I the VST needs a specific version of MSVC++ re-distributable that doesn't exist on the computer, some of them just silently refuse to answer Reapers call. Then they won't show up. Maybe that's it.

Try running VST Scanner (just google)
Thanks. I read in several post here that Reaper does accept Freeverbtoo. Maybe I have it in the wrong folder..Hmmmm.. I was able to get it onto Sonar and Audacity even took it..I will play with it more. Thanks. Ill check out the VST Scanner..
Erich Graywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
mixer

If you want to verify that Reaper is seeing your VST, go to:

Options
Preferences
Under Plug-ins, click VST
At the top is the field where Reaper is looking for VST's.

So, either:

1. Make sure your VST is where Reaper is looking, or
2. Add where your VST is located with the "Add" button.

Hope that helps.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
cioran

Except that Reaper frequently drops VST's (like Halion Player, Guitar Rig, many others) and then refuses to find the search path.
These can't be anywhere else than they are because they need to be under 'Program (x86)' on Win 7 - otherwise they won't function due to compatibility issues.

It gets extra annoying when they used to be available but aren't anymore.

I'm not criticizing you, mixer, just saying that it's not always a stroll in the park, as has been noted many times elsewhere.
cioran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
EddieRoss

Just a thought, I've had some plug-ins load up but they come up with another name. I just figured that REAPER did'nt want to see them. Then months later I'll see something and not know what is, I open it and there's my lost plug-ins! Like I said, Just a thought. good luck
EddieRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
cioran

Different name? Out of my league, I'm afraid :-)
VST's are behaving like bowling pins here, but within a matter of hours. Halion Player suddenly showed up again, but Pod Farm 2 dropped out of a project where it was already loaded and in use. Guitar Rig is still gone and a sound font player went AWOL 5 minutes ago. They're all neatly in their separate folders under a main Plugin>VST root.

Something's amiss....
Old 02-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
FrankT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cioran View Post
These can't be anywhere else than they are because they need to be under 'Program (x86)' on Win 7 - otherwise they won't function due to compatibility issues.
That's not true - I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and none of my VSTs are under Program Files. Mine are all in C:\cakewalk\VSTPlugins and Reaper finds them fine
FrankT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
EddieRoss

Cioran, Now thats out of my league. Plug-in leaving and then coming back. That is scary. Ah, Good luck with that. All the best! E.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #11
cioran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
That's not true - I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and none of my VSTs are under Program Files. Mine are all in C:\cakewalk\VSTPlugins and Reaper finds them fine
Maybe I should be clearer. I'm running Reaper 32 bit on my Win7 machine, because my soundcard manufacturer (yes, Line6) took approximately forever to come up with 64 bit drivers.
The 64 bit Reaper is on my system too, but I wasn't sure about Halion Player and a few other VSTs being able to handle compatibility mode.

So far it's been fine, it's only recently that VSTs have started dropping out. Maybe I should switch to the 64 bit Reaper (reinstalling all my VSTs under the appropriate folder and hoping they'll run) but I haven't felt the need yet. Besides which, I know others here have separate folders for their VSTs, depending on what type they are (32 or 64 bit). Whether this would work for all of them in a root file not under Program Data (for Program [x86] ), but directly under the 64 bit Program directory I don't know.
Any tips would be welcome.

And this may be my morning mood speaking, but saying something dead certain like 'that's not true' about Windows is...possibly a bit optimistic ;-) ?

Cheers
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #12
EddieRoss

What I've been doing lately is have two folders. One for plug-ins that I use and one for all I have. I have 1 puter that is online that I download to and one for recording. I have a USB HDrive that I move back and forth. That way I can check if there clean before I move them to #2. Just last month I D/L'd something that even while I checking if it safe I got a virse that shut down my online Computer big time! Had to take it to the shop to get back online. All can say is it did'nt get to the recording Computer. This system works for me because it cut down on the start-up time as I'm not loading a ton of plug-in I might not need or use. If need one I just copy it to the right file and rescan and if I don't need it I delete it and rescan. Thanks for listening to this. Just my 1c or maybe 2. E.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
cioran

Makes sense, both for safety and load time. I'm mainly using just a dozen or so VSTs at the moment, since what I'm into now is just demoing material for my band.
Since they're going to axe half of my material anyway I'm not gonna spend ages learning all of the guitar parts when I can get (reasonably) decent sounds with a sound font and Guitar Rig or Pod Farm 2.
Drums, bass, keys get written and loaded as MIDI with appropriate VSTs for obvious reasons (I can't play them).

Anyway, set up a folder system under 64 bit Reaper and had less than fun watching the whole thing fail. Several VSTs didn't load, others did but didn't work properly and a couple were ok.
I noticed they were all bridged from Program x86 files, presumably because I didn't uncheck that option when installing the latest 64 bit version?
Why 64 bit Reaper chose them over the folders I actually assigned I don't know - seemed like auto-detect worked for the first time, albeit without me using it, and preferred the x86 folders.

I eventually gave up on the whole thing and force-fed R-32 my VSTs again, and now they seemed to stick (knock on wood). This time round it insists on loading the wrong ASIO driver, but that at least takes only three seconds to fix.

If I do say so myself, I'm fairly good with some aspects of Windows, but I'm not certain what happened here. Still, a major improvement over yesterday.

Cheers
Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
strangedogs

One thing I love about my Mac is called "Audiounit Manager" a small app that lets you select what plug-ins will be active or inactive so you can selectively pick what you want before you run your DAW - is there a Windows app like that? It comes in handy when you have literally hundreds of plug-ins like I do.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
cioran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedogs View Post
One thing I love about my Mac is called "Audiounit Manager" a small app that lets you select what plug-ins will be active or inactive so you can selectively pick what you want before you run your DAW - is there a Windows app like that? It comes in handy when you have literally hundreds of plug-ins like I do.
Sounds good. I'm pretty sure someone must have seen the need and coded something like that for Windows, but I haven't come across it. If/when I get hundreds of plug-ins I'd be glad if someone chimed in :-)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
Steve36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cioran View Post
Maybe I should switch to the 64 bit Reaper (reinstalling all my VSTs under the appropriate folder and hoping they'll run)
Hi cioran...you could install REAPER (x64) and just copy and paste your existing (x32) plugin path (Options/preferences/VST)
straight to the same place in your (x64) version...I have done this without issue on a number of occasions...this should at least give you a fairly quick/painless way to see if it works for you

Steve
Steve36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
cioran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36 View Post
Hi cioran...you could install REAPER (x64) and just copy and paste your existing (x32) plugin path (Options/preferences/VST)
straight to the same place in your (x64) version...I have done this without issue on a number of occasions...this should at least give you a fairly quick/painless way to see if it works for you

Steve
Hmm. I'm pretty certain this happened of its own accord, as the plugins I checked in R64 were bridged from their original location rather than the new folders I'd set up.
Maybe doing it this way I'll be able to avoid all the glitches, though?
I'll c/p the respective paths and see how they compare, might be that there were a few unnecessary sidetracks. Shouldn't happen, but then what happened shouldn't have happened either :-) Gotta love Windows.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a spin later.

Cheers