Old 04-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
croakouttatune
Human being with feelings

Default Bouncing FX (Track To Take)

HI all,

I've been 4-track overdubbing songs, i.e., bass, drum, vocal, guitar,
mainly for rehearsal's sake, but also to get a feeling for effects and levels and such.

I'd like to be able to transfer the effects and level (pre-FX level) to the active take,
before commencing the fresh take.
Is there a way to get this done?

It's also somewhat important that the FX settings are the same.

Thx

Last edited by croakouttatune; 04-24-2019 at 08:36 AM.
croakouttatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 AM   #2
nicholas

If I understand you right, drag and drop from track FX button on to active take to copy FX, or Alt drag and drop to move (i.e. transfer?). Settings etc will port.

Select take and Shift E if you want to open take FX window to make any adjustments etc.Go to Prefs, Appearance, Media if you want to display FX button on takes.

I'd suggest copy rather than move, then set track FX to bypass, in case you need to repeat this later, or change your mind, etc.

Last edited by nicholas; 04-30-2019 at 06:16 AM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

I'm not completely sure what you're asking for here. Usually "bounce" means something like "render" - creating a new audio file with all the FX baked in. If that's what you want, then I'm pretty sure "Apply Track FX..." is exactly what you need.

But I really don't understand why you'd want to do that. You've got a bunch of takes on a track with FX. Which Take is active goes through those FX. If you switch to a different take, that one goes through the same FX with the same settings. If you intend to do any comping, it's almost always better to do that before the FX get applied because it can help hide the transitions. Especially if there's any reverb or delay, things can get really weird switching takes that already have that baked in.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I'm not completely sure what you're asking for here. Usually "bounce" means something like "render" - creating a new audio file with all the FX baked in. If that's what you want, then I'm pretty sure "Apply Track FX..." is exactly what you need.
Yeah, that's why I suspect that by "bounce" the OP actually meant "transfer", but maybe she can clarify this for us?
Old 05-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
croakouttatune

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Yeah, that's why I suspect that by "bounce" the OP actually meant "transfer", but maybe she can clarify this for us?
Yeap that exactly! Have wordiness as a foible.
Also saving the effect(s) as a chain and then
applying the chain to the take as a take FX works as well.
There's even a few shortcuts I came across.
I think that in the FX window itself you can press Shift+A to add effects chain.. unsure though.
I agree that comping w/ FX baked in wouldn't work.

Lately when applying the FX to the takes it sometimes didn't work,
then when double checking found that even if you select multiple split items and apply FX FX will only go to one of those spilt items. This make it necessary to glue the item (Cmd+Shf+G) before applying FX.

Not sure why but even when item is entirely cohesive applying FX to take still touch and go. clear indication being that FX meters have no readout when applied and running - very odd.
croakouttatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
croakouttatune

Default dracula returns

Quote:
If I understand you right, drag and drop from track FX button on to active take to copy FX, or Alt drag and drop to move (i.e. transfer?). Settings etc will port.

Select take and Shift E if you want to open take FX window to make any adjustments etc.Go to Prefs, Appearance, Media if you want to display FX button on takes.

I'd suggest copy rather than move, then set track FX to bypass, in case you need to repeat this later, or change your mind, etc.
This sounds pretty super. I've been doing the copying of fX since it's safer.
Just a few questions.
In doing this allot I've come against it not working in multiplicity.
Example: if a take has been split the take fX window will only apply fX
to first split section ignoring selected media, or that's what I think is happening. I wanted to confirm. In moving the splits the fX seems to work. But I'm not sure if that's the reason it's working because I just
did this in a project and the fX is not working at all.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
nicholas

Yes, if a take is split it becomes a separate item, so you will need to drag and drop twice. Drag and drop in this context is exactly the same as Copy and Paste.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
croakouttatune

Quote:
Yes, if a take is split it becomes a separate item, so you will need to drag and drop twice. Drag and drop in this context is exactly the same as Copy and Paste.
As long as it's under discussion .
it seems there are tonnes of things you can do to create separate items on
the same timeline and all are permanent. This has been a bit troublesome for me.
Using shortcuts to select the item(s) in the track doesn't suffice to graph
a copied fX to that item with the next assigned SWS shortcut.
Or at least I haven't figured how yet.
the fX goes somewhere. Where I'm not sure. It goes to the media item but
appears transparently behind the item take number and name.
From there I have to grab it with the mouse and drag it to the item.

Seems that if an item is split accidentally it can be fixed if the media item is unselected
while you grab the split and extend to the edge of your workspace timeline, but
they don't disappear afterwards. I chalked it up that underneath your media item can be placed an infinite number of other items on the track lane, and
that when you use simple shortcuts to paste to your media item your actually pasting to the track lane, which is pretty frustrating if your fX are subtle in nature. When I first started doing this I'd look at the fX window to monitor the CPU as an indication that the fX is being pushed but now I think that an fX will eat your computer regardless. You can visually verify if you've placed an fX to a media item by it's information readout printed atop the track lane, I think.
If your successful the fX icon will push the readout aside instead of floating like a ghost in the background.

And that's what I've been doing. If I could I probably elect to never drag and drop anything. Too many frustrating experiences with people screaming and such while the windows cascade before your eyes and #!
it's exactly where you don't want it.