Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
Tommy4tracks
Human being with feelings

Default Hearing and using VST's without having record arm enabled.

Hello All,

I am new here and new to Reaper so let me know if this is the wrong place to post this.

I am trying to use Ezdrummer 2 in Reaper and everything seems to work fine except when I try to record a beat in EZdrummer through Reaper. The metronome and record button in the VST are tied to Reaper so, when I am trying to record on just the VST it also starts recording in Reaper at the same time. Is there a way to hear the metronome in Reaper without having to record and a way to have the metronome start playing when I hit record on the VST? So far I cannot find a way to do both. I have been arming to record and then hitting play to start the metronome in Reaper and then opening the VST window to hit record on it. By the time I get to recording my first notes a lot of time has passed in the VST timeline and it i just a headache and time suck.

When I open EZdrummer on its own it has a click button built in. When I open it from reaper it does not have that click button. Any help would be much appreciated. I have googled and tried everything I can but I am relatively new to this DAW.

Thank you
Tommy4tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
karbomusic

I don't have EZDrummer but there's often a Sync button/feature in the VST that you can turn on/off.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
domzy

one of the record arm options allows you to monitor without recording - Record: disable (input monitoring only)
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Tommy4tracks

I guess I should explain my problem better.

What is happening goes like this:

Scenario 1- I hit record and play in reaper- it plays and starts recording in Reaper but not in the Vst. I can hear the metronome this way. If it recorded in the VST this could be manageable besides it recording everything I play into the tracks in reaper. But I could always just delete those tracks.

Scenario 2- Hit record and play in Ezdrummer but it does not play the metronome in Reaper or start recording in Reaper. The play head in Ezdrummer is moving and recording in this scenario.

Sorry if I am not doing a good job explaining.

The VST and reaper are and have been synced via follow host button the whole time.

I tried to disable input monitoring and nothing changed. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the replies.
Tommy4tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:07 AM   #5
johnteddy

Can you not create your tracks in the vst and then drag and drop to a new track in reaper to edit etc.
johnteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:53 AM   #6
Stella645

Why would you want to use the vst internal recording function?

You can record straight to Reaper timeline and easily edit there. If you want to add any loop to library, you can then drop it in the vst to save it.

I don't really know ezdrummer tbh but I suspect this function is not intended for full recording in the DAW...just as a notepad or for saving midi loops.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote