Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
KeithC
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie with Tascam DP-24 needs new computer

Hey Reaper users, I'm an old knob, fader, and tape guy starting a small home studio, and decided that to record my tracks, I'd go the MTR route, and edit in Reaper, but I can't find any real answers about computers. I can spend about $700, maybe a bit more. I was hoping an off the shelf, 4th gen core i5 4440, 6-8 gb ram, and 1 tb 7200 rpm hdd would do the trick. This would likely be a Dell laptop, and I know nothing about whether it will work right off the shelf, or do I need a different soundcard? Would I be better off using a 128gb ssd? And should I forget the laptop, and go desktop? Also, since the Tascam uses USB for connectivity, do I have any need for firewire? And finally, could I get basically the above PC, and use it off shelf, and add things for a more "pro" sound? Oh, windows 7, or 8? Hate to ask so much, but I've stood in every computer store in town, and no onr knows a thing about DAWs, or they just plain ignore you like they don't want to sell anything. PLEASE HELP, I'm computer, and DAW illiterate! !!!
Thanks, KeithC
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
KeithC

Default Let me rephrase that, I'm new to DAWs but have a good knowledge of analog recording

66 people have viewed this post at this time, but no replies. Surely someone can answer my question from above. I have searched every google term I can think of, and not even the Reaper site gives computer requirements for DAW use. And, as stated, I'll be tracking on the MTR, and sending the WAV files to Reaper for editing. Please someone help, I really want to get started.
Thanks, Keith

Last edited by KeithC; 03-15-2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
JGrabowMST

Very few computer shops know anything about DAW building because few people looking for a solid DAW will bother going to them. It's a vicious cycle that probably will never change.

As far as what you need, there are some very long threads regarding DAW builds here that you should really read through before buying a machine. $700 just barely enough to build your own proper machine, but you need to know what you're getting into first.

Seeing as you have a 24 channel interface, you need something a bit beefy. A $700 laptop will be fine if all you're doing is recording the tracks, but if you're looking to make everything happen on that machine, you're walking with an extremely short leash. Take the time to read through the DAW threads here before you buy anything.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
KeithC

Thank you for the reply, 175 views, and you were the first to reply, I was beginning to think there wasn't a nice guy on here. You know how some forums seem to welcome all levels, and some seem to cater to "those in the know", LOL. I have been playing for 35 years, through 5 albums, many demos, but quit recording in 97, so that was the start of all this, and most still tracked on tape. But yes, I'm doing the tracking on the MTR, and want to send the tracks to a DAW for effects, and editing, so I guess I need a bit more than a shelf laptop will get me. My bug oroblem is time. I'm sure I could build one, but run a business too, so my time is severely limited. Any possibility of an off shelf, and upgrade it as I find necessary?
Thanks again, Keith
Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #5
Rarebird

Hello KeithC,

I may not be a nice guy (I'm on a Mac) but I use a DP-24 as well and just to clarify, it is not an interface. It has a usb connection for transferring files only, which is what you will be doing. Personally I find it easier to pull out the card (DP-24 off) and put it in my Macbook Pro which has a card slot. Like you, I do all my tracking on the DP-24 and mixing in REAPER, though I have the ability to record into REAPER with a Profire 610. You may find you will want a firewire or USB interface to get your audio signal to monitors.

As far as requirements for a computer are concerned that will depend on what you will use it for. If all you do is transfer your tracks to REAPER and only use REAPER's plug-ins you won't need much power. If on the other hand you decide to start adding 3rd party plug-ins, and drums or instrument vsti's then your needs will grow. On the DP-24 we record at the highest resolution possible, 24/48. I started on an older MBP 2.2 GHz dual-core w/4 gigs of ram and was more than fine till I added Superior Drummer, boutique plug-ins like S-Gear and such, taxing my MBP on larger projects. Now I'm fine with my new MBP 3.6 GHz quad-core w/16 gig ram but if I were to add major instrument vsti's then I'll probably run into problems.

I have a Mac laptop because I'm addicted to them and I could afford to get the best. You'll get more bang for the buck with a non-Mac desktop in my opinion.

By the way, mixing on the DP-24 is very restrictive. If you've already tried you will find working in a DAW to be quite liberating though more time consuming as your options are practically limitless. The results should be far superior.

One more thing. As you cannot rename the DP-24 files on the DP-24, I rename them on my laptop but keep records of the original file names in case I need to re-import them. I have each project in REAPER set to open with "notes" to remind me to do this. It's a simple OK click to continue when you don't need to add any notes. Good luck!
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
KeithC

Default Re: Rarebird's reply

By restrictive as far as mixing goes on the DP, are you talking about the inability to add compression, etc. to recorded tracks, or are there other issues I should know about. I've not even plugged it in yet!
Thanks, Keith
Old 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Rarebird

Basically yes, limited use of compression and effects, control and visual feedback. Example: EQ only has three bands. Even if you only use the included plug-ins REAPER offers, there is so much more you can do in a DAW compared to the MTR. I got my DP-24 December of 2012 and made some decent mixes with that, but when it came to editing I found it too restrictive and decided to look into DAWs. Four months later I found REAPER and payed for it within a week once I realized how much potential was there at such a good price from a company with a philosophy I believe in.

I still like to record on the DP-24 using a separate preamp, finding the quality to be very acceptable and I like working with the console. We don't use the on board preamps so can't vouche for their quality. I no longer use the Mastering functions and only mix temporarily in order to record further tracks. We often transfer a mix from REAPER to the DP-24 for further recording tracks, almost always when recording the final lead vocal.

You cannot change tempo within a project on the MRT and the metronome sound really sucks so we create our tempo tracks in REAPER with better (actual drum) sounds with or without tempo changes and transfer that to the DP-24. As long as the files are created with the same bit depth everything lines up nicely.

One more thing. I found the noise level from the headphone output to be higher than what it's really recording. So we hear a bit more noise (even with all tracks off) than what is actually being recorded. At first this was terribly disturbing till I realized the recorded tracks were quieter.

All in all I still like the unit and believe it's possible to make excellent mixes with it alone, but not by me.
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
Geo524

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
Thank you for the reply, 175 views, and you were the first to reply, I was beginning to think there wasn't a nice guy on here. You know how some forums seem to welcome all levels, and some seem to cater to "those in the know", LOL. I have been playing for 35 years, through 5 albums, many demos, but quit recording in 97, so that was the start of all this, and most still tracked on tape. But yes, I'm doing the tracking on the MTR, and want to send the tracks to a DAW for effects, and editing, so I guess I need a bit more than a shelf laptop will get me. My bug oroblem is time. I'm sure I could build one, but run a business too, so my time is severely limited. Any possibility of an off shelf, and upgrade it as I find necessary?
Thanks again, Keith
Check out the Cybertron 5150 unleashed. http://www.cybertronpc.com/customkit...cat~gamers.htm

It's a gaming PC within your price range and can also be upgraded if you choose. i.e. More memory, more HDD's, graphics cards, etc... It's an "unlocked" processor too so it can be over clocked if you wish to do so. The company builds to suit your needs and support is outstanding.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #9
KeithC

Default Thanks guys, lots to explore and think about

Seeing that most of the music I listened to was recorded on four to eight track tape, ( classic rock nut), I think I've likely already got more than the Beatles recorded on in the day! Albeit, I'm no George Martin. I am almost considering buying an outboard compressor, and delay, and a really good synth that does great drum, B3, Grand piano, etc., and that would eliminate the need for VIs, and would give me at least a reasonable level of effects during mixdown. I may still decide to connect to reaper, and use just the native stuff for mixing, which would save on the laptop, but be more for the keyboard, so is this a viable alternative? I have a line on a mint presonus eight channel compressor/ limiter, / gate, with full side chain abilities, for $350. Would that help in mixdown, with an old quadraverb or similar effects unit? I'm becoming overwhelmed, recording is a completely different animal than it was in the mid 90's, when I last recorded an album.
Thanks, Keith
Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
KeithC

Hey guys, you think this will get me started?
HP 700-214. i5 4 core 4440, 12GB ram, 2TB SATA 7200 RPM hdd, about 8 usb 3.0&2.0 ports, 3 different monitor outs, more card readers than I knew existed, about 6 PCI slots, win 8.1, which I know I'll need to either scrub it squeaky clean, or buy Win 7 and install it without the BS. The graphics/audio are shared HD, so I know I'll be needing an audio card, but like I said, no lack of slots for just about everything. At $749, what do you think? Good starting place?