Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Badfinger
Human being with feelings

Default OS 10.3.9... possible?

I have an older IMAC, that I really like a great deal, and would like to save from retirement as a dedicated recording computer if possible, and would VERY much like to run reaper on it, now that it seems the OSX version is working pretty good.
I *could* update the operating system, and install a bigger drive, more ram, but it'll still have that PPC processor... and I like 10.3.9 to be honest.

Is there any chance I could run Reaper on this machine with 10.3.9?
If not, with an updated OS, but still the PPC processor?

It's been a great machine and I'd like very much not to have to ditch it, I'd like to give it a new life.

Thanks for any help or insight...

Randal

Last edited by Badfinger; 01-10-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: (found one of the answers)
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Badfinger

After furthur searching I found the answers, time for a new mac is the answer I'm getting.

Thanks for the forum, by the way, it's great...

Randal
Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

If your mac is a G4, then 10.4.x will work.. but it'll be pretty slow... :/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
BoxOfSnoo

How old is this iMac? I'm running Leopard on my 1GHz G4, it works about as good as good as Panther did...
Old 01-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Badfinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If your mac is a G4, then 10.4.x will work.. but it'll be pretty slow... :/
Cool, a reply from the Man himself, I appreciate it a great deal, I'm a fan.

My Imac is the G5 model just before the isight camera was added, and then the switch to intel.
It has the 1.8ghz power PC processor, and still has the 256mb ram it shipped with.

I'm not generally brand-biased, or even platform-biased that much, it's simply that I really liked this computer when I got it, and still do. If I thought there was a chance that 10.4 or even 10.5 would run well on it, and also reaper, I would be just happy to save the old girl and keep it in service...I'd upgrade the hard drive, and boost the ram to 2 gig.
It all adds up fast though, new OS, new hard-drive, new ram, on an older computer... it would be worth it if everything worked well, otherwise, I might be better off to get a new mac or perhaps PC and go that route.

I also kinda dug 10.3 and so have milked it for all it's worth as long as I could... it's coming to the end of it's lifespan for me now though, of course. I had a hope I could use it still on a machine set-aside for recording, but if not, that's cool too.

Main point being, I'm running Reaper, one way or another, perhaps Mac, I dig macs mostly, but perhaps PC. Main thing is to get a recording set-up happening with Reaper.
I use other DAWS, including "that one" , on other puter not owned by me, and it's a cool gig... mostly fix guitars and amps but do quite a bit of engineering at the place I work.
That's all fine, but that's not where I wanna be. It all represents something in the pro music world that leaves the same bad taste in my mouth as the world of media and big business does.
Justin, you rock man, thanks.
I believe in where you're coming from, and I'll support it.

Just hopin I didn't need to buy a new damn computer.

:0)

Thanks for the replys folks!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
mahasandi

i think all you need is tiger osx 10.4 and you'll be fine.
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
BoxOfSnoo

Oh wow, get a new OS X, if you dug Panther you're gonna really dig Leopard (or Tiger). I got very frustrated with Panther because nothing ran on it anymore, Tiger was the base for any programs I wanted to try. Spaces, for one, is well worth it.

Edit: Oh yeah, you really want more RAM in there, no matter what OS you're running.

Last edited by BoxOfSnoo; 01-11-2009 at 05:21 AM.
BoxOfSnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
Badfinger

Hmm, so an upgrade in the OS to 10.4 or 10.5 and I could be in business?

Well, cool, not to be to much of a butt-ache, but if someone could confirm they are running 10.4 or 10.5 on a G5 PPC and with Reaper, that would be excellent, and very helpfull. I hate the thought of taking a still perfectly good piece of hardware like this old Imac and banishing it to the closet just cause it's outdated, if I could make it my dedicated home set-up, it would work well for me all around.
Personally, for what I'm doing, I would rarely see a track count exceeding 16-18 tracks, perhaps 20 very rarely, and likely 8 or 10 as the norm. 24/48, four mics in max, that's about the extent of the load I'd have.

Thanks, again, the forum here shows the same openeness and helpfullness that brought me to Reaper in the first place.

Randal