Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
mikeypee
Human being with feelings

Default wine: cannot find airwave

I'm running linux reaper with airwave for VSTs. When I attempt to scan the VST folder, I get an indefinite hang with the following message in the console:

Code:
wine: cannot find '/usr/bin/airwave-host-32.exe.so'
and

Code:
wine: cannot find '/usr/bin/airwave-host-64.exe.so'
I get one of those, depending on whether I'm trying to load a 32 bit or 64 bit VSTi. Reaper then hangs indefinitely with no other console messages following.

Reaper landoleet archive: reaper550repre3_linux_x86_64.tar.xz
Wine: wine-2.14 (Staging)
OS: Linux localhost 4.10.0-32-lowlatency #36-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 8 14:00:18 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=zesty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 17.04"

I'm trying to test more VSTs but this seems to be the case for a lot so far. Mostly free KVR VSTs like Chip32, Zebrelette, Crystal, which I thought should work.

Is it just airwave? I had similar trouble with LinVST, but hadn't recorded the errors before trying airwave.

One thing I'm going to try next: fresh wine prefixes (the ones I've been using are from my the ubuntu version of wine, before I switched up to the winehq latest versions).
Old 08-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
hmoller

I had similar problem and it was that in wine drive z: (that point to /) was changed. Changed to / and work again.
hmoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
mikeypee

Oh my goodness, you're right. I disabled Z for security reasons. I should have known better. Thank you!

I'll try to either enable Z again, or perhaps enable a fake Z that only contains the right exe file.

I wonder if wine would use a normal windows search path, such that I could just stick it in system32 or something.... Hrmm......
Old 08-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
Jack Winter

Trying to disable Z:\ is a bad idea for wine in general, don't expect any security at all from wine... If you really are paranoid about what you install and run in wine, then run wine as a different user...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
mikeypee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Trying to disable Z:\ is a bad idea for wine in general, don't expect any security at all from wine... If you really are paranoid about what you install and run in wine, then run wine as a different user...
Yeah you're right and I agree. It's just that for quite awhile, I was both running wine under an unprivileged user AND disabling the Z drive, because I have peak computernerd paranoia.

But I guess everything is well, now. Running desktop as my main user, with Reaper spawning as unpriv'ed user (given X11 perms only), and all my plugins are working between LinVST and airwave. All is well in nerdland.